News 1900 Park Fare at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort reopening in April 2024

Stupido

I don't understand why the character line up is under such scrutiny here. They truly seem to have something for everyone here.

Cinderella serves for the fans of classic Disney, who tend to be very vocal when they're not being catered to directly. Could they have chosen a different classic character? Of course, but Cinderella is the poster for the Golden age in Orlando, and I'd take her over another modern character.

Mirabel serves for the younger children who are more familiar with Modern properties.

Aladdin serves for fans of the Renaissance era, and the boys who are sick of full princess lineups.

Tiana serves for those who are fans of the 2010s era of Disney, and look forward to seeing characters in rarer costumes (same as Aladdin).

I truly think this is one of the best line ups for a Character Dining meal in Orlando, with someone who every single guest will be excited to meet. 🤷‍♂️

James Alucobond

I truly think this is one of the best line ups for a Character Dining meal in Orlando, with someone who every single guest will be excited to meet. 🤷‍♂️
If you're looking for pure variety, it's actually not terrible. It's just that most would prefer the characters have both something to do with one another and something to do with the resort. Like, having the whole Madrigal family at a Coronado Springs restaurant would feel way more interesting and unique.

AJT607

Asha belongs in this restaurant (at least with the theme they currently have going for them)... and it is a shame that she isn't there. At the prices they are charging, I think they could certainly be including a fifth character here like they do at a few other character dining locations - and it would more easily command the premium they are charging at Grand Floridian to eat in a glorified conference center ballroom. I'm sure she was originally intended to be here and they backtracked because of the box office performance.

I don't have a problem with the other characters and think it is a very nice, refreshing variety - even though I agree with previous posters that Mirabel is the most off-theme of the bunch. I watched some videos of Tiana in her adventuring costume from opening day, and I'm not certain whether it was the performer's style - or if it was directed - but it looked like her mannerisms were very similar to those of an audio-animatronic. She did a lot of short sequences followed by a "frozen" pose and robotic-looking arm movements. Whether it was intentional or not, it was cringe-worthy to watch.

flyerjab

I guess I just have lower standards than most of the people here. I've always enjoyed the character meals, and I actually enjoy the food at WDW. I've never thought of it as "mediocre at best" as most people around here seem to.
You don’t. Your standards aren’t lower than other people’s standards on the forums. Your standards are your own just like I have my own. They aren’t better or smarter or have better culinary intellect.

My time at WDW is closing in on two decades. One thing IMHO that has done nothing but improve during that time is the food. I recall our trip in 2009, thinking “this is it? Burgers, pizza, fries?” With our trips today, food is one of the things I look forward to. Topolino’s, 3 Bridges, Toledo’s, The Boathouse, Narcoossee’s, Geyser Point, Citricos, Flying Fish, pretty much the entire Landing at Disney Springs, Tiffins/Nomad Lounge, Satu’li Canteen, Brown Derby, Yak and Yeti, Jiko and Boma at AKL, California Grill, Epcot’s festival booths - I could literally go on and on. The breadth, depth, variety and overall improvement of the culinary scene at WDW is fantastic. Others may differ on this matter - it is a free world after all - but I agree with you on this.

DisneyDodo

I watched some videos of Tiana in her adventuring costume from opening day, and I'm not certain whether it was the performer's style - or if it was directed - but it looked like her mannerisms were very similar to those of an audio-animatronic. She did a lot of short sequences followed by a "frozen" pose and robotic-looking arm movements. Whether it was intentional or not, it was cringe-worthy to watch.
To save money, Disney is using one of the TBA animatronics in this location until the ride opens.

There have been several reports of guests getting confused by Tiana responding to picture/autograph requests with “Oh my, my Mardi Gras party is starting soon and I don’t even have a band! Can y’all join me on an adventure through the bayou and help me find some musical critters?”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To save money, Disney is using one of the TBA animatronics in this location until the ride opens.

There have been several reports of guests getting confused by Tiana responding to picture/autograph requests with “Oh my, my Mardi Gras party is starting soon and I don’t even have a band! Can y’all join me on an adventure through the bayou and help me find some musical critters?”
The secret ingredient is child labor.

Animaniac93-98

I don't understand why the character line up is under such scrutiny here. They truly seem to have something for everyone here.

For me, it's the fact that the restaurant went from having 5 different characters for breakfast and dinner, to the same 4 at both. That's a bigger downgrade when it comes to variety IMO, and most of the characters were exclusive to this restaurant. I thought it had the best character breakfast mix before and enjoyed the interaction between Alice and the Mad Hatter. That's what people really liked about dinner with Cinderella's step family. Not just seeing them individually, but how they bantered with each other and other guests. Not sure if this mix will have that same energy.

I would also say this feels like another Princess meal. Yes, Aladdin himself isn't, but his movie is a part of the brand and appearing in his Prince Ali outfit* adds to the royal affair.

*which looks more like what is worn in the Broadway show than the movie, a change I never really understood, other than to make the costume "fancier". The live action remake did a better job of having something that resembled the original, but with greater detail

KDM31091

I do miss the old lineup; Anatasia, Drizella and Lady Tremaine are much more seldom seen, whereas I feel like Maribel and Tiana are thrown in our faces all the time.

I also cannot fully tell from the pics but it seems the carousel theming/horses are gone from the restaurant? That's kind of sad.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Cinderella serves for the fans of classic Disney, who tend to be very vocal when they're not being catered to directly. Could they have chosen a different classic character? Of course, but Cinderella is the poster for the Golden age in Orlando, and I'd take her over another modern character.

Mirabel serves for the younger children who are more familiar with Modern properties.

Aladdin serves for fans of the Renaissance era, and the boys who are sick of full princess lineups.

Tiana serves for those who are fans of the 2010s era of Disney, and look forward to seeing characters in rarer costumes (same as Aladdin).

Wow!!* The way you put it together is so Beautiful. I would only just add Mary Poppins and Bert just because those two speak elegance and Grand Floridian pristege! No wonder the DVC building has the penguins fountain. It just feels missed not having Mary Poppins to me.

Mary Poppins and Bert - for the adults

Chef idea Mickey`=

If you're looking for pure variety, it's actually not terrible. It's just that most would prefer the characters have both something to do with one another and something to do with the resort. Like, having the whole Madrigal family at a Coronado Springs restaurant would feel way more interesting and unique.
Where would Aladdin go though 🤔

Tha Realest

The costume is outrageous. It's not even cute!!!! I could maybe possibly understand if it was an awesome sporty CUTE costume.

This is hideous and cumbersome. Something a lunch lady would wear.

Honestly, what on Earth are they thinking??

It's disrespectful and gross.

Surely this costume won't last right?
They were thinking this is a great way to cross-promote Disney+’s Tiana, which has been in production for years, has been taken off of the release calendar multiple times, and was apparently part of the background impetus for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.

Sort of like how Kenner produced action figures for the Robin character that was set to appear in Batman Returns, but was cut somewhere during production (but too late to stop the toy production)

1713121870017.png

Chef idea Mickey`=

they can reopen the restaurant in Morocco and create a specific character meal for Aladdin characters...they already do an Aladdin and Jasmine meet and greet in the pavilion...so thematic integrity clearly is not an issue...
I figured one of you guys would bring Morocco Pavilion up! Just keep the restaurant food Morrocain back there. I still think some kind of Aladdin themed resort would been fascinating. Never built Arabian resort on the monorail loop comes to mind.

Bocabear

I figured one of you guys would bring Morocco Pavilion up! Just keep the restaurant food Morrocain back there. I still think some kind of Aladdin themed resort would been fascinating. Never built Arabian resort on the monorail loop comes to mind.
It would put something back into the Pavilion... Seems a shame to really have that one be a shell of what it was... And while not idea, they are already doing Aladdin and Jasmine meet and greets there... He would seem a better fit there than a 19th century American seaside resort anyway....

James Alucobond

Mammoth Club has a review up on YouTube from day 3 and Aladdin wasn’t there. Snow White filled in 🤦🏻‍♀️
While potentially disappointing for guests, I’m not sure it’s worth facepalming over. If the actor was unexpectedly ill or otherwise suddenly unavailable, you kind of have to do what you can to make it work, and I imagine Aladdin is a role with fewer people available to fill in on short notice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom