18% Auto gratuity for Party of 6?

Lucky

As a server I got some good tips and some not so good. I could get a bad tip either because I had messed up, or the kitchen had messed up, or a guest was being cheap, or a guest just didn't know any better. Either way, I never would have considered chasing someone out to the parking lot. It would have been classless, possibly dangerous, and possibly could have gotten me fired. And it's hard to do a good job with your other tables from out in the parking lot.

DisneyJunkie

I'm talking to someone who just made a case for why they shouldn't have to tip if they don't feel like it, which is hilarious. And no, I didn't make up a story. It was a restaurant near me in Billerica, MA. A Chinese spot, if that makes any difference.

What's more hilarious is your "tip no matter what" argument which holds absolutely no water. Apparently you feel that merely walking in and sitting down at a restaurant table earns someone a tip.......and to heck with making them give you good service. I'm sure the next waiter who feels like spitting in your food or messes up your order repeatedly can be comforted in knowing there are rubes out there who will reward that. Wow, you named a restaurant......that must mean your story is real, right? Ha!

Otterhead

What's more hilarious is your "tip no matter what" argument which holds absolutely no water. Apparently you feel that merely walking in and sitting down at a restaurant table earns someone a tip.......and to heck with making them give you good service. I'm sure the next waiter who feels like spitting in your food or messes up your order repeatedly can be comforted in knowing there are rubes out there who will reward that. Wow, you named a restaurant......that must mean your story is real, right? Ha!
It is real. Now you're trolling as well as calling me a liar, which is not cool or smart.

By the way, if you'd actually read my posts -- which, clearly, you didn't -- I never said that every waiter automatically gets a 20% tip. I said that there are always extreme circumstances that preclude a tip. I remember once when my server disappeared -- like, just never came back after taking my order. No, they didn't get a tip. And of course tip amounts can vary; I never said otherwise. But you're literally arguing that tipping is completely optional in all circumstances because restaurants don't put up signs mandating it. No, sorry! That's not how it works.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, I'm explaining that servers' salaries are based on tips

No, we call this 'total compensation' - not all of which is guaranteed.

Tips aren't just some nice thing you can leave if you feel like it. They are mandatory, whether you like it or not

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

They aren't mandatory - they are expected. Different words... different impacts. You can not leave a tip... it will impact what people think of you, but you won't be accosted for walking out on a bill.

You can keep going on and on... but all you are doing is proving something about you... not convincing people you're correct.

Yes people 'punish' servers for bad service.. even if its not their fault. That's called 'the norm' and has been for generations. If you want to harp on about how employers force tipouts on non-collected tips, etc... take it up with the employers.

DisneyJunkie

It is real. Now you're trolling as well as calling me a liar, which is not cool or smart.By the way, if you'd actually read my posts -- which, clearly, you didn't -- I never said that every waiter automatically gets a 20% tip. I said that there are always extreme circumstances that preclude a tip. I remember once when my server disappeared -- like, just never came back after taking my order. No, they didn't get a tip. And of course tip amounts can vary; I never said otherwise. But you're literally arguing that tipping is completely optional in all circumstances because restaurants don't put up signs mandating it. No, sorry! That's not how it works.

Right, it's real....because you say so. Ha! Actually, you're doing the trolling, not me......and THAT isn't cool or smart. Exactly right, TIPPING IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL in all dining circumstances. The fact that you simply think it isn't, doesn't make it so. Your entire tone here has been one of "you must tip the waiter/waitress every time you go out to a restaurant", and now you're changing your story a bit because you're on the losing end of the argument.

Tipping is optional.....that's always how it has been, and how it always will be. Every diner has the option of tipping if they feel the service they received merits it, and the option of not tipping at all if they don't think the service they got was worth it. Sorry, that's just how it is and you're not going to change that because your opinion is otherwise.

Otterhead

Hey, if you folks want to consider tipping completely optional, go for it. It's unbelievably rude, extremely poor behavior, and a terrific way to get yourself banned from restaurants -- and a very easy way to screw over a server. It speaks to a level of selfishness that is unreal. And twisting my words to make me "lose an argument" is pretty desperate.

Paying servers isn't optional. At least, not to normal people.

DisneyJunkie

Hey, if you folks want to consider tipping completely optional, go for it. It's unbelievably rude, extremely poor behavior, and a terrific way to get yourself banned from restaurants -- and a very easy way to screw over a server. It speaks to a level of selfishness that is unreal. And twisting my words to make me "lose an argument" is pretty desperate.

Paying servers isn't optional. At least, not to normal people.

Paying them isn't optional.....that part you DO have right, since they are under someone's employ. Tipping them, however, is and always has been optional. The server, with their own poor service, would be screwing themselves over...the diner wouldn't (if they chose not to tip). Unbelievably rude and poor behavior is setting some law based on your opinion that demands people fork over extra money just because they're being waited on....regardless of the quality of service.

And nobody is getting banned from any restaurants simply for not leaving a tip.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

They only spit in the food of people who are jerks to them.

jaklgreen

We are in our 40s and in our adult life, there was 1 time that we felt like not giving the server a tip because of poor service. And probably only 5 times that they were less then stellar and deserving in out mind less then the 20% we normally tip. Maybe our expectations are lower or we are just lucky with decent servers. But we look at the whole picture, are they slow on refills because the restaurant is understaffed and they have too many tables. Or are they just standing there talking to the other servers etc. If our server is working hard and is pleasant then we forgive any minor delays and tip the 20%. It is a hard job on your feet. And its not like your office job where you can stop what you are doing and take your lunch break. Servers work for hours nonstop and are only human and can get tired or make mistakes. I rather give them the benefit of the doubt and tip them then "teach them a lesson" by being a cheap jerk. Oh and we are always kind to our servers saying please and thank you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is a hard job on your feet. And its not like your office job where you can stop what you are doing and take your lunch break. Servers work for hours nonstop and are only human and can get tired or make mistakes.

As a grocery cashier at our insanely busy store I would be on my feet and serving customers nonstop except for my break. No breaks in customers... Always a line. Yet we didnt get tips nor would most people argue how difficult it was. Oh and I never got to walk away from my customers... Always front and center

Oh and that's when clerks still wore dress shirts and ties :)

HRHPrincessAriel

Correct me if I'm wrong... But if your service is god awful terrible you can call over the manager and adjust the tip accordingly?
Which, call me crazy, if it is that bad I would hope most people would do.

BuddyThomas

It's hilarious how people try to make their own rules for society based on their own opinions. Trying to make tipping in restaurant a "mandatory" thing, that's just ridiculous on so many levels. Amazing to think that anyone would want to make them mandatory, let alone believe that they are. In the "real world", nobody is ever "chased down by the server and/or manager" or "barred from coming back" for not tipping or under-tipping. That claim, too, is just ridiculous. But hey, if thinking otherwise in some way helps a person sleep at night, keep on doing it.
Incorrect. When I was a jerk of a 16 year old on a school trip to New York, a group of six or seven of us jerks left a waitress a bunch of change (maybe a dollar's worth) on a check that had to have been at least $50 or $60.

The waitress chased us out onto the street and hurled the change at our jerky teen group. The manager then followed us for a block yelling at us.

I don't remember what kind of service she gave but I am sure it was worth more than a handful of change from some ignorant high school jack@sses.

This is an example of why the mandatory tip should, in fact, be mandatory. If you think all the teenagers in the Pop Warner thing and tourist groups on other events are leaving 18% for great service, then you are living in Fantasyland.

DisneyJunkie

Incorrect. When I was a jerk of a 16 year old on a school trip to New York, a group of six or seven of us jerks left a waitress a bunch of change (maybe a dollar's worth) on a check that had to have been at least $50 or $60.

The waitress chased us out onto the street and hurled the change at our jerky teen group. The manager then followed us for a block yelling at us.

I don't remember what kind of service she gave but I am sure it was worth more than a handful of change from some ignorant high school jack@sses.

This is an example of why the mandatory tip should, in fact, be mandatory. If you think all the teenagers in the Pop Warner thing and tourist groups on other events are leaving 18% for great service, then you are living in Fantasyland.

Incorrect. For one, I doubt anyone chased you anywhere, let alone both the waitress and the manager. For another, it doesn't change my contention that it shouldn't be mandatory when you end up having to pay for service you don't even know yet is worth the tip. To believe one should be made to pay a tip regardless of knowing what kind of service they're getting.....is a belief of one in Fantasyland.

BuddyThomas

So the quality of the service you receive has no bearing on the tip you leave? Why is this something unimportant to those defending the automatic gratuities? Is it really asking too much of a restaurant's wait staff to earn the tip they would be expecting? I don't think so.....and they CAN help how they perform their job.
Let me ask you a question that might temper this conversation.

How many times can you think of that you actually under tipped to the 10% level or less? Because you are giving some of us the impression that you are looking for any excuse to under tip or that you think most waiters are horrible and deserve nothing. Maybe I am just misunderstanding you.

DisneyJunkie

Let me ask you a question that might temper this conversation. How many times can you think of that you actually under tipped to the 10% level or less? Because you are giving some of us the impression that you are looking for any excuse to under tip or that you think most waiters are horrible and deserve nothing. Maybe I am just misunderstanding you.

In my life, it MIGHT have happened once....not that I can remember. The point I'm making - and I don't see how it can be misunderstood - is that whether or not a diner choose to tip the wait staff should be a choice the diner has, not the restaurant (or anyone else), and the amount a diner chooses to tip should be up to the diner, based up on the quality of service they received. That's it. If a waiter/waitress gives great service, I have no problem giving 20% (or even a little more of it was extraordinary). But if they do a really lousy job, I also have no problem not leaving a tip at all (they'd have to be beyond horrible for that) or one lower than they might expect.

BuddyThomas

Incorrect. For one, I doubt anyone chased you anywhere, let alone both the waitress and the manager. For another, it doesn't change my contention that it shouldn't be mandatory when you end up having to pay for service you don't even know yet is worth the tip. To believe one should be made to pay a tip regardless of knowing what kind of service they're getting.....is a belief of one in Fantasyland.
Now you're just being obtuse. You just called me a liar and that is one thing I most certainly am not. I'm one of the only people on here posting with my real name and photo. The events I relayed are 100% true. I was about to give you the benefit of the doubt in a post I just wrote but now I think you are just a ..........name I cannot call you on a board like this.....and just probably sit there at the table looking for excuses to not tip.

DisneyJunkie

Now you're just being obtuse. You just called me a liar and that is one thing I most certainly am not. I'm one of the only people on here posting with my real name and photo. The events I relayed are 100% true. I was about to give you the benefit of the doubt in a post I just wrote but now I think you are just a ..........name I cannot call you on a board like this.....and just probably sit there at the table looking for excuses to not tip.

I didn't call you anything, I just said I doubted your story because it was too 'out there' to be believable....IMO. If you want some medal for posting with your own name and photo, you're not going to get one here. If you just enjoy being unreasonable, well have at it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom