18% Auto gratuity for Party of 6?

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Just booked chef mickeys for breakfast... Me, wife, 4 year old, 2 grandparents and 8 month old so officially a party of 6...
I'd asked if the 8 month old needs to be added as he won't need a full table setting etc and won't even be eating but I was advised he had to be included which I understand.

It says on the email that 18% gratuity will automatically be added for party of 6+. Now I can see why they do this some places but we aren't planning on paying $30+ for a child who isn't going to be eating anyway so any idea on what happens in this situation as we will only be a party of 5 as far as the check is concerned but the reservation has to be 6 im told?

In addition to this I find it hard to swallow also that you would have to pay 18% at a buffet!?

Any help appreciated :)

If the policy means we will get stuck with a child place we don't need or want to pay for in addition to the gratuity then I'll be reducing the ADR to 5 as someone will be holding the baby anyway!

Weather_Lady

I don't think they'd charge you the automatic gratuity: you should not be charged anything for your baby since he is there for free. Chef Mickey pricing (and that of all similar WDW table service establishments, to my knowledge) has one price for adults (10 and up) and one for kids aged 3-9. Kids under 3 can eat off of an adult's plate for free -- but the baby will need a place for a high chair, hence the reason they told you to make the reservation for 6.

Regardless, however, a 15%-20% tip is the norm for all WDW table service restaurants, including buffets, so you'll want to budget accordingly. Buffet servers are still taking and delivering drink orders and refills, and clearing dirty dishes from your table -- repeatedly -- throughout the meal.

EDIT: My bad! I just saw on the Disney food blog that babies ARE generally considered as "party" members for purposes of the automatic gratuity, even though they are dining for free. It shouldn't make much of a difference in what you pay, though (unless you were affirmatively planning on under-tipping), since the automatic gratuity would be 18% of the cost of 5 meals, and not 6. Even if you tried to change the ADR to 5 people, a server could still see that there are 6 people there, and would charge the automatic gratuity accordingly.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Just booked chef mickeys for breakfast... Me, wife, 4 year old, 2 grandparents and 8 month old so officially a party of 6...
I'd asked if the 8 month old needs to be added as he won't need a full table setting etc and won't even be eating but I was advised he had to be included which I understand.

It says on the email that 18% gratuity will automatically be added for party of 6+. Now I can see why they do this some places but we aren't planning on paying $30+ for a child who isn't going to be eating anyway so any idea on what happens in this situation as we will only be a party of 5 as far as the check is concerned but the reservation has to be 6 im told?

In addition to this I find it hard to swallow also that you would have to pay 18% at a buffet!?

Any help appreciated :)

If the policy means we will get stuck with a child place we don't need or want to pay for in addition to the gratuity then I'll be reducing the ADR to 5 as someone will be holding the baby anyway!
You won't be charged for the infant. Official policy is that children under 3 may share from the adult's plate at buffets at no charge. Can't tell you whether this will trip you into the auto-gratuity or not.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
You won't be charged for the infant. Official policy is that children under 3 may share from the adult's plate at buffets at no charge. Can't tell you whether this will trip you into the auto-gratuity or not.

Well that's one thing at least! Thanks, maybe understand the 18% at a table service restaurant but when you are getting your own eggs then it seems extortionate!

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Regardless, however, a 15%-20% tip is the norm for all WDW table service restaurants, including buffets. Buffet servers are still taking and delivering drink orders and refills, and clearing dirty dishes from your table -- repeatedly -- throughout the meal.

I appreciate that but a few drinks isn't like a full table service experience and I feel the auto gratuity lowers service standards in all places not just wdw....

I have No issue paying 15+% if it's full table service and great service but seems steep for a buffet for a party of what is ultimately 5...

Thanks for your input though :)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Well that's one thing at least! Thanks, maybe understand the 18% at a table service restaurant but when you are getting your own eggs then it seems extortionate!
I'm with you on the 18% tip being excessive for a buffet. I just consider a restaurant with mandatory gratuities to have meals priced 18% above the printed price, together with a "no tipping" policy.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Watch out. The wdwmagic tipping police are going to go after you for this one.

(Though I totally agree. 18% at a buffet that costs $40 per person is garbage.)

I'm ready for them... As I just mentioned, I'm happy paying a good percentage for great service but seems inflated for a buffet you are already paying quite a lot for :)

Otterhead

This is really the norm nearly everywhere in America, honestly. Parties of 6+ are regularly charged an automatic gratuity, which ranges from 15% to 20% depending on where you're at. There's often some leeway if one is a minor, but typically, no.

Sadly, as long as servers are paid far under minimum wage in the US, automatic tipping is going to be the norm.

CaptainAmerica

Sadly, as long as servers are paid far under minimum wage in the US, automatic tipping is going to be the norm.
But a server at a buffet isn't ACTUALLY serving you in the same sense as a waiter at a traditional restaurant. Let's assume then that a buffet waiter can serve double the tables as an ordinary waiter. In that case, a 10% tip would live him just as well off as a 20% tip for the full-service waiter with half the tables. Not to mention the fact that the check is probably much higher at the buffet to begin with.

The gratuity model is a fantastic system if done properly. A person who sucks at his job absolutely should make less than a person who's excellent at it.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
This is really the norm nearly everywhere in America, honestly. Parties of 6+ are regularly charged an automatic gratuity, which ranges from 15% to 20% depending on where you're at. There's often some leeway if one is a minor, but typically, no.

I realise that, it's a shame it has to happen that way but still think it's way too high for a buffet.

As mentioned before I just think it lowers service standards quite often as they are getting it anyway type attitude... I've not had much experience of it as it's always been means my wife and eldest son so rare we are in a bigger party when visiting the U.S.

Otterhead

But a server at a buffet isn't ACTUALLY serving you in the same sense as a waiter at a traditional restaurant.
Oh, I totally agree. I hate paying automatic 20% tips when I go with some friends to a buffet, and really wish that wasn't the norm, but it is. There's a restaurant near me where the servers just drop off big piles of bread and cheese and veggies so you can do your own fondue, so they're only getting your drinks, but I'm still required to tip 18-20%, which is lame.

CaptainAmerica

Oh, I totally agree. I hate paying automatic 20% tips when I go with some friends to a buffet, and really wish that wasn't the norm, but it is. There's a restaurant near me where the servers just drop off big piles of bread and cheese and veggies so you can do your own fondue, so they're only getting your drinks, but I'm still required to tip 18-20%, which is lame.
Required how? Because that's just "the way it is," or because those places have a "large parties" rule?

Otterhead

Required how? Because that's just "the way it is," or because those places have a "large parties" rule?
Because it's automatically added to the bill at the end of the night, if I'm there with more than 6 people.

If I'm there with fewer than 6, I'll typically pay 15% at "minimal service" type places where I see my server once or twice during the night. Any less than that, and it's not unusual to be confronted by a manager.

CaptainAmerica

Quick math for a family of four eating dinner at Chef Mickey's.

Two adults @ $45 and two children @ $22

Total check - $134

18% gratuity - $24(!!!)

Let's say a table turns every 90 minutes and each waiter has three tables at a time for a weighted average of one check every 30 minutes. That's $48 an hour!

Someone help me see what I'm missing. Are Disney wait staff rolling in giant piles of money laughing at the rest of us?

Otterhead

Are Disney wait staff rolling in giant piles of money laughing at the rest of us?
No more so than any waitstaff in any restaurant in the country.
Keep in mind that tips don't go directly into the waitron's pocket. They're typically pooled among front of house and kitchen staff as well. A more accurate range would be $15-$25 an hour, but I have no idea how Disney figures tips among staff.

CaptainAmerica

No more so than any waitstaff in any restaurant in the country.
Well the checks at Disney are artificially high. The wait staff is benefiting from the premium on your check attributable to being able to meet Eeyore or Goofy during your meal. When you tip 18% on a $45 meal at Chef Mickey's, you didn't really have a $45 meal. You had a $15 meal with a $15 upcharge for location and another $15 upcharge for characters. They're getting 18% of a much higher base than the guy who brings you your fajitas at Chilis, who's only being tipped on the first $15.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Quick math for a family of four eating dinner at Chef Mickey's.

Two adults @ $45 and two children @ $22

Total check - $134

18% gratuity - $24(!!!)

Let's say a table turns every 90 minutes and each waiter has three tables at a time for a weighted average of one check every 30 minutes. That's $48 an hour!

Someone help me see what I'm missing. Are Disney wait staff rolling in giant piles of money laughing at the rest of us?
Doesn't the wait staff have to tip out table clearers, hosts, etc, out of that amount?

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
It is not really fair to compare a full-service dining with a buffet at all, especially for gratuity. In my experience guests at buffets tend to drink more, eat more and require a lot more constant attention than guests that place an order and have it delivered to their table. If you sit back and watch, the server staff at the WDW all-you-care-to-eat restaurants really do work very hard with a constant back and forth and deserve the gratuity they get IMO.

Even in my own party my wife and I don't always agree but we usually start at 20% and work our way down or up depending on service. The 18% automatic gratuity hurts the servers as much as it helps them when we are in a group.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well the checks at Disney are artificially high. The wait staff is benefiting from the premium on your check attributable to being able to meet Eeyore or Goofy during your meal. When you tip 18% on a $45 meal at Chef Mickey's, you didn't really have a $45 meal. You had a $15 meal with a $15 upcharge for location and another $15 upcharge for characters. They're getting 18% of a much higher base than the guy who brings you your fajitas at Chilis, who's only being tipped on the first $15.
I need to eat at your Chili's, because at mine yesterday my wife and I paid $48 for the two of us, and we didn't even have an alcoholic beverage. If we add in those, our typical Chili's bill is in the $70-80 range for 2 of us.

Oh, and we use the TiW at all TS restaurants, and the 18% gratuity is added to every bill, even if only 2 of us. If we feel the service was sub-par, buffet or not, we will ask the manager to downgrade the tip. Well, we've never had to do that at WDW! So at buffets, we just leave in the 18%. If a regular TS, then we normally add more to the tip, as warranted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom