13,300+ Dead from Tsunami

speck76

ogryn said:
OK
The British Government (4th biggest economy, Pop: 60million) is giving $30 million dollars.

The US government (biggest economy, Pop: 293million) is giving $35 million dollars.

Something ain't quite right there.... get your wallet out Bush.

The former British Empire had more of a stake in this region than the US has ever had......India, Sri Lanka (Ceylon), and a few other areas were formerly British-protected areas.....

As sorry as I feel for these people, I would prefer that no financial support is given by the US government, it is not like we do not have our own problems.

On the other hand, with a population nearing 300million, I am sure many could give a charitable donation to help the effort, if they so choose.

prberk

Original Poster
Well, I think many different people from all over the world (including many Americans and Brits) will be helping in a variety of ways. The government is not the only way that Americans help. The Red Cross and religious and charitable organizations are already mobilized. I know that the Christian Childrens Fund, based here in Richmond, has already sent teams. But all of these organizations have to organize as they go. The first help was just to help stabilize the situation and help search and rescue. But now we are entering the time when more planning is helpful: the best way to use the resources available, to provide fresh water supplies and water purification, mud-out, etc. THEN rebuilding.

So, it is a long, involved process. And by the time it is all over, I think many people will have helped. And I think some of us who feel farther removed from the situation will have come around and learned more -- especially as the news organizations bring the pictures home. And as the holidays end, and people pay more attention to the news in general if they were not directly affected.

That is why the ABC special last night was so moving to me. I will not forget some of those images and stories .... and I am sure that there will be more to come....

wdwhoneymooner

speck76 said:
As sorry as I feel for these people, I would prefer that no financial support is given by the US government, it is not like we do not have our own problems.

On the other hand, with a population nearing 300million, I am sure many could give a charitable donation to help the effort, if they so choose.

I agree, we certainly do have many, many problems that need to be addressed here but I must also disagree about the U.S. providing some assistance to victims of natural disasters around the world. Although too many in the States are still living in poverty or are in dire need of aid, we still, as a whole, have one of the highest per capita income in the world and can provide a miniscule percentage of our gross national product to assist countries with over 115K victims.

I also agree with you about the potential charitable donations that could be generated from the U.S. Just think of the possibilities if every working man and woman donated their spare change from just one day.........

speck76

wdwhoneymooner said:
I agree, we certainly do have many, many problems that need to be addressed here but I must also disagree about the U.S. providing some assistance to victims of natural disasters around the world. Although too many in the States are still living in poverty or are in dire need of aid, we still, as a whole, have one of the highest per capita income in the world and can provide a miniscule percentage of our gross national product to assist countries with over 115K victims.

I also agree with you about the potential charitable donations that could be generated from the U.S. Just think of the possibilities if every working man and woman donated their spare change from just one day.........

I would just rather see the money come from voluntary donations. Although we have a high standard of living, we do have our own problems.....although many countries can not compare with our per-capita incomes, earning $15K in Sri Lanka gives one a much higher standard of living that earning $15K in the US.

speck76

Britain and Australia followed Japan and the United States in pledging dramatic increases in emergency aid for victims of the tsunami disaster in Asia as the world community struggled to cope with its mushrooming fallout.

London and Canberra, each pledging the equivalent of nearly 30 million US dollars (22.1 million euros), expected to raise their contributions further as awareness of the scale of the destruction, loss of life and risk of epidemics grew by the hour.

The announcements amounted to a 15-fold increase in commitments from the British government and a three-fold increase from the Australian government, a day after the United States more than doubled its pledge to 35 million dollars.

In Texas, US President George W. Bush said Australia, India, Japan and the United States would form a "core group" to lead relief efforts and hit back at criticism of aid offered by rich countries.

Asked about a report of a UN official referring to wealthy countries as "stingy" in their international aid, Bush said: "I felt like the person who made that statement was very misguided and ill-informed."

The United States was also sending an aircraft carrier, helicopter carrier and military forces from Asian bases toward disaster areas to help out.

Japan on Tuesday sent three navy vessels to Thailand and pledged 40 million dollars to provide emergency food, medicine and shelter to victims of the tsunamis.

An Indian official said New Delhi had turned down aid from Israel, Japan, Russia, the United States and other countries as it had "adequate resources" to provide relief to the thousands of Indians.

In Paris, the French government pledged to provide 15 million euros (20.3 million dollars) in disaster aid.

The various government pledges were part of a worldwide humanitarian drive that also involved leading groups like the International Committee of the Red Cross, smaller non-government organizations, ethnic Indian and Sri Lankan communities overseas, corporations, professional associations and religious institutions.

They were all in the process of transferring money or organizing cargo flights carrying food, fresh water, medical supplies, clothing and tents to stricken countries like India, Indonesia, the Maldives, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

The United Nations has said the international aid needed over the coming months was likely to exceed the previous record UN appeal of 1.6 billion dollars for Iraq last year. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies appealed for another 44 million dollars in immediate aid.

With so much aid to be sent to the region, relief officials, government ministers and former US president Bill Clinton all urged the United Nations to take a coordinating role to make sure all victims get exactly what they need.

In announcing the increase in aid pledges in Sydney, Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australia had "special responsibilities" as a regional neighbor and Indian Ocean littoral state.

Downer, who said most of the aid would go to Indonesia and to a lesser extent Sri Lanka, also committed his government to providing substantial additional assistance to help rebuild the battered nations.

Millions will also go to the Australian branches of non-governmental aid organisations and help relief efforts in other countries like Thailand and the Maldives.

In addition to the federal government aid, Australian states, banks, airlines and telecommunications companies as well as donors were also chipping in. Qantas and Virgin Blue airlines both donated flights to carry medical teams and equipment to the Maldives, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

After his government defended his staying on in Egypt following the tragedy, vacationing British Prime Minister Tony Blair gave his first reaction to the tragedy that occurred on Sunday.

"This New Year the world is united in sorrow for those affected by one of the biggest natural disasters in our lifetime," Blair said.

His government would use its upcoming chairmanship of the G8 industrial group of nations to help provide aid, he added.

His government earlier pledged 15 million pounds (21.3 million euros, 28.9 million dollars) in immediate aid for the stricken region, up from a commitment of one million pounds.

Oxfam, Save the Children, the British Red Cross, World Vision, and Christian Aid were among many groups which have launched a fundraising appeal under the umbrella of Britain's Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC).

Relief efforts were also organized by Britain's 1.3 million-strong Indian community, one of the biggest ethnic Indian communities in the world, and 250,000-strong Sri Lankan community.

The Luxembourg government, preparing to assume the rotating presidency of the European Union on Saturday, plans to arrange an emergency EU ministerial meeting at the beginning of January to organize aid for disaster victims.

In addition to traditional Western donors, aid was flowing in from less usual sources such as Argentina, Brazil and China, UN officials said.

Impoverished Cambodia was also contributing.

The Czech Republic in eastern Europe was sending a planeload of aid to Thailand while the wealthy city state of Singapore was sending helicopters, hundreds of military personnel and medical staff to Indonesia.

Saudi Arabia said it would give 10 million dollars in emergency funding, while the Turkish government said it would contribute one million dollars to the international relief campaign.

The World Food Programme said some 30,000 to 50,000 people in Somalia were "in need of immediate relief assistance" and that it was facing major logistical obstacles in delivering the aid to northern Hafun island.

Gucci65

I was truly annoyed the other night when I heard that the USA's 35million was not enough. Where is it written than when a natural disaster such as this occurs that the US is responsible for donating the funds necessary to put everything back in place? $35million is the US's initial contribution, I'm positive there will be more to follow - IN ADDITION to the millions that will be made by private US citizens.

Just curious - does anyone know if there any foreign monies contributed to the 911 fund?

Also, I have read repeatedly in the last several days that some of the worst places hit have an annual income of $40billion from touristry. Where is this money now?

I'm sorry if I sound cold or uncaring, that is far from the case - I just get fed up hearing that the USA is not doing enough. I happen to think we do more than our fair share.

My heart goes out to the victims of the horrible disaster.

(Edited for spelling errors)

Dean[AU]

The toll is now around 125,000 people.

This is what 1,000 people look like

1k.gif

I would post the entire count, but just think of that, time one hundred and twenty times.

Please show your support by donating at the following sites

DEC (UK) | Red Cross (USA) | Red Cross (AUS) | Care USA | Goal (IRE) | Unicef | Oxfam (UK) | OxFam (USA) or in the Netherlands SMS 'GEEF' to 2020

prberk

Original Poster
I don't think that the "thread views" counts quite like it used to on the old boards. I have noticed that it does NOT increase every time I view a thread. Maybe it counts views from distinct members. (Steve, any insight?)

At any rate, I think many people will be helping in many ways. The Southern Baptist site that I linked above is just one example of one church organization/denomination that is already mobilized. CBN's "Operation Blessing" is also already there, with supplies and organizing their further efforts.

So, when groups like these get together with the Red Cross/Red Crescent and UNICEF and military organizations, it will be significant. Right now, though, I think it is all still in a stage of assessment AND dealing with limited runways and supply/communications routes....

Tramp

Pray....just pray for the kids.

"Save the Children" federation is based in Westport, CT., approx 5 minutes from my home. Without going into detail, I spent some time there yesterday helping wherever I could with donations arriving at the front door. Also, I spent a short time on the phones logging donations and yesterday alone, "Save the Children" received 2 million dollars in donations and the money is pouring in. I'm told another $2 million was received today.

The outpouring of good will of all kinds from money to toys to equipment to medical supplies to human teams on the ground, is going to be overwhelming worldwide not just from governments, but hugely from average citizens. It breaks my heart to see people arguing over who is giving more than the other while those in need struggle for a loaf of bread, a sip of clean water, a tent, or some clean clothes. It takes an olympian effort to organize assistance of this size.

Given the early reports, no one could've imagined the magnitude of death and destruction in the area and if there was a slow response by aid organizations or governments, it was due to the lack of understanding the extent of what had occured early on in the disaster. Relief organizations simply don't start sending people or money until they can prioritize areas that need it the most...and that takes time when such a large area was affected.

Erika

Dean[AU] said:
No one realises how bad this is? 30 thread views.. :(

I don't think it has to do with anybody feeling that it's not worth a look- I personally haven't clicked because I've been getting the news elsewhere. I'm still too shocked and sick to my stomach to really say anything at this point. Right now I am going over our bills for this coming month so I can figure out how much we can donate without bouncing any checks.

All those poor people :(

How horrible.

Tramp

Dean[AU] said:

Holy crap!...nothing like a visual to grasp the depth of a disaster. :(

I've been glued to the tube watching every last video clip. Tsunamis are so rare that there's a perverted fascination with this one. The death toll rises everytime I tune in. It wouldn't surprise me to see it double again. The before and after satellite photos are awesome and tell the deadly story with no words necessary. It's simply unimaginable.

Edit...Fox is reporting that some agencies claim the death toll will exceed 400,000. I don't know if that is a number killed by the tsunami or includes people who will die from diseases.

This must be a logistical nightmare for rescue and relief operations.

Boo's Mom

I'm not sure if anybody has heard about this but me being the big animal nut that I am, I'm going to comment. I saw Jack Hanna on FOX today and he said that none of the animals at the reserves there were killed because of a chain reaction among the animals. The dolphins sensed that something was going to happen and the fish picked up on it and the birds noticed the change in the fish and the giraffes noticed the change in the birds and the small animals picked up the danger ahead from the giraffes and that the elephants felt the quake because their feet are sensitive. I think that is amazing considering many of the workers at those reserves died. just the animal nuts two cents

here is a link from cnn talking about animals and their sixth sense. This is not the Jack Hanna article. I'm still trying to find it but this one is about them not finding any dead animals in Sri Lanka. http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/30/quake.animals.reut/index.html

Piebald

I saw that too about the animals. I saw it on all the news channels. It really is amazing that they can sense those type of things. I'm a huge animal nut as well and was waiting to hear about the animal situation in those parts of the world (since they have some of the most unique species in the world).

speck76

U.S. increases tsunami aid to $350 million

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- The United States is pledging $350 million to help tsunami victims, a tenfold increase over its first wave of aid, President Bush announced Friday.

"Initial findings of American assessment teams on the ground indicate that the need for financial and other assistance will steadily increase in the days and weeks ahead," Bush said Friday in a statement released in Crawford, Texas, where he is staying at his ranch.

"Our contributions will continue to be revised as the full effects of this terrible tragedy become clearer," he said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this epic disaster."

Bush also is sending Secretary of State Colin Powell to Indian Ocean coastal areas ravaged by earthquake and tsunami to assess what more the United States needs to do. The president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, will travel with him.

The newly announced aid came after some critics claimed that the initial U.S. contribution of $35 million was meager considering the vast wealth of the nation.

France has promised $57 million, Britain has pledged $95 million, Sweden is sending $75.5 million and Spain is offering $68 million, although that pledge is partly in loans.

Bush said disaster response officials are on the ground and the United States has established a support center in Thailand that is in operation. More than 20 patrol and cargo aircraft have been made available to assess the disaster and deliver relief supplies, he said.

The president said the United States has dispatched the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, a maritime squadron from Guam and an amphibious ship carrying a Marine expeditionary unit. "They will soon be in position to support relief efforts to include the generation of clean water," he said.

pinkrose

Boo's Mom said:
I'm not sure if anybody has heard about this but me being the big animal nut that I am, I'm going to comment. I saw Jack Hanna on FOX today and he said that none of the animals at the reserves there were killed because of a chain reaction among the animals. The dolphins sensed that something was going to happen and the fish picked up on it and the birds noticed the change in the fish and the giraffes noticed the change in the birds and the small animals picked up the danger ahead from the giraffes and that the elephants felt the quake because their feet are sensitive. I think that is amazing considering many of the workers at those reserves died. just the animal nuts two cents

here is a link from cnn talking about animals and their sixth sense. This is not the Jack Hanna article. I'm still trying to find it but this one is about them not finding any dead animals in Sri Lanka. http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/30/quake.animals.reut/index.html

I believe one of the elephants picked up a couple of children before it ran off... saving them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom