10 year old with fractured foot - now what?

BUZZCRUSH

Help please,

We are leaving for wdw this Friday and my oldest son just hurt his foot playing basketball - he gets an xray tomorrow but the way he can't walk we're pretty sure he has some kind of fracture - the nurse thinks me might get by with wearing a boot.

We've been to disney multiple times and we are always on the go, walk a ton. So my question is should we rent one of those electric vehicles? I've seen some that are pretty compact - any idea where to get one?

Thanks

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Your best bet is to rent a wheelchair and take turns pushing him around. The manual wheelchairs are pretty cheap to rent. Disney doesn't allow people under 18 to use their ECVs. They are very heavy and can inflict a lot of damage on ankles, people, walls, or furniture they hit. I imagine that non-Disney rental companies probably have a similar policy. I was able to "illegally" use one when I was 16 after knee surgery but I easily passed for 18.

Upvote 0

Laura

I'm picturing my own 10 year old on an ECV right now. I'm also picturing bloody ankles, squashed toes, and displays crashing to the ground. :lookaroun

Probably not a good idea.

Wheelchair is a much better idea.

Looks like from the above post, it's the ONLY idea short of carrying him.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
If you're staying on property, your resort might have one available for free. I was able to obtain one for my mother several years ago. I was also able to push her around, by myself, so it really isn't a big problem.

Upvote 0

Gt2BtheGoodLife

Your best bet will probably (unfortunately at points) be to just rent a wheelchair from the park, they're only 12 dollars plus deposit I believe. I made the mistake of attempting EPCOT in a boot a year ago, I made it about ten feet into future world. Just make sure to steer clear of the trolley tracks at MK! (no pun intended)

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input we'll look into a wheelchair when we check in - all the planning and one thing we did not plan for :shrug: I'm so glad for the great folks on this forum who are so helpful.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Thanks for all the input we'll look into a wheelchair when we check in - all the planning and one thing we did not plan for :shrug: I'm so glad for the great folks on this forum who are so helpful.

Who knows - maybe you'll get good news at the doctor! Good luck - I'm sure it will still be an amazing trip.

Upvote 0

pcarathers

I would definitely not make him walk it even in a boot. It may end up causing him more damage in the end. For sure check into the wheelchair option. Even if he wants to walk a little here and there, he'll for sure want to sit and ride after a while! We leave for WDW on Saturday.....can't wait!!

hope ya'll have a safe and fun trip!:)

Upvote 0

Gumpy13

about 10 years ago when I was in college I messed up my knee pretty badly while at disney world and was worried how much fun I would have. We were able to rent a wheelchair at the park entrance very easily and we had a great time. Side benefit of all of it is cast members treated my family and me extra special and we avoided a lot of lines. It was great little pluses that made us all feel better while I was dealing with a serious injury.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom