1 Year Old - Too Young?

SSE_King

Original Poster
Hello all. My wife and I have a daughter, and we have been thinking about taking her to WDW a week after her first birthday in July. However we are in a bit of a pickle trying to figure out whether or not we should make the trip to WDW. First of all, we are both huge WDW fanatics, and our daughter - though she is not even a year old yet - seems to be a HUGE fan of Mickey and Minnie and just about everything Disney. We know that she would be beside herself in a place like WDW.

Our only concern is that we feel she may be too young yet to get the full experience out of WDW. Well, that along with the fact that it can get so hot during the summer months in Orlando and we don't know if that will make her too uncomfortable, (We are from up north.) But my wife and I really feel like we need a vacation this summer, and what better place to take our daughter than to WDW?

Do you think she is too young for WDW? Please help! Thank you! :wave:

bmarkelon

I say go for it; based mostly on the fact that you guys are Disney fanatics. She of course is a bit small to fully take in the Disney experience but you will always hold onto the memories. My kiddos are now 7, 5 and 2 and they had their first trips at the ages of 14 months, 11 months and 7 months. We took them younger and younger! They had a blast at the character meals, I have pictures of them all smooching their germy noses with the sweetest smiles on their faces. My son, at 11 months, was taking his first steps while in WDW!

We go every year and so far the toughest age we've experienced was last August when our youngest was 18 months, yikes! She just wanted to be little miss independent and is very strong willed so there was a little more battling going down than I'd like. My favorite age that we've experienced would be more in the 2 and a half to 4 years range. The magic is so real and the excitement in their eyes cannot be beat.

I hope this helps; you will most likely get mixed comments on this topic....it's a popular debate here! You will decide whatever is best for your family but I do not think you would regret making the trip. :)

daisy13

I think you should go:) When our kids were very young we always took mid-day breaks so they could swim and nap back at the resort. We also made sure we had comfortable, reclining strollers, so they could nap whenever and wherever they needed to. We took it slow, and knew going in that we were not going to do and see everything. Hopefully this helps :wave:

Mawg

I agree with the other posters if you want to go, go. We took my son when he was 1 year old for the first time. He doesn't remember any of that trip, he's since been back 3 times and is 7. Keep in mind that you are going for you and don't expect a 1 year old to like the things you may want them to. Ours was even afraid of Small World, the boat rocking and going through the dark tunnels to other scenes. But the interactions with the characters at meet and greets and meals was priceless. He loved the carousel, Dumbo, and other spinners, took lots of naps and during that time my wife and I did rider swaps and single rider lines at the other attractions while the other waited with my son. Take lots of pictures you'll be going for your memories. However, I'm no child psychologist but just because they'll let you take a 1 year old on Haunted Mansion or Pirates doesn't mean it's a good idea and a crying baby during the whole ride kind of ruins it for you and others around. But, all the color and music of the other attractions and interactions with the characters may stimulate development. The Nemo ride and show and talking time with Crush might be really fun.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The question is not is she too young, but are you willing to do what it takes to allow a 1 year old have a good time? My youngest daughter's first trip was at 10 days old and it was one of the best trips we ever took, but we did things very differently than what we have done in the past. The biggest thing to remember is you are on their schedule, not yours. Follow that simple rule and you should have a good time. Ignore it and complete misery is a very real possibility.

slappy magoo

As long as you're not deluding yourself into thinking that you're going for her benefit, but because you would like to go and you're OK being potentially limited by her feeding schedule or being Crankypants in general, have a great time. We went when my eldest was approaching 5 months, because it was early December and it was probably the only year we'd be able to go to see the resorts dolled up for the holidays without actually going Christmas week. It was rough more often than not, but we had a great time nonetheless. But we went for our benefit, not hers, and never deluded ourselves into thinking otherwise. Don't go because you think SHE'LL have a great time, because she loves you and has no sense of proportion and will have a great time with you wherever you go, even if it's just to your backyard.

MVP Heather

I agree with Master Yoda. We took our oldest son for the first time when he was 9 months old. My husband and I kept in mind that we were going more for ourselves than for our son, like you, we too needed a vacation. Just take it slow and allow your daughter and yourselves to take in all the sights and sounds. It's a new exciting experience!

Annielkd

I don't think kids really get into it until they are 4 or 5. She will never remember going. If YOU want to go and you don't mind dragging her around, then go for it. But, if you have never gone with a young child, you might want to ask how it is with a baby. I wouldn't want to do it... and I didn't, until my son was 5. I'm glad I waited because that year was magical!

loveofamouse

I'll tell you what I tell everyone. There is no too young. All kids enjoy Disney in different ways. While a 1yr old isn't going to be riding a bunch of rides, they love the shows and parades and stage shows. To them, the characters are real, not people in costumes

Ive been taking my kids since they were 1. While they didn't have specific memories of the trips, they remembered the excitement and that it was a great place and were right at home.

happymom52003

My youngest had just turned one a couple of weeks before our first trip with the kids. We were going to wait until she was around 4 or 5, but that would mean our oldest would have been 8 or 9 and we did not want him to wait that long. So, we decided to go, and out of all of our trips to WDW since then, that one remains my favorite! We had so much fun that we booked another trip as soon as we got home for 6 months later, then went again 6 months after that....and have continued to go as often as can since then.

Sure, they can't remember the early trips....but we had an AMAZING time as a family and that is what counts! Their experiences have an impact on their lives whether they remember them or not. If someone goes to Disney regularly before they have kids, why should they stop going for several years once they have a baby? Disney is SO baby friendly....the baby care centers are awesome!

boopuff

I took my kids when they were 3 and 5. We go back all the time and each trip is very different at each age. They are now 19 and 21 so I'm anticipating a very fun (and late night) trip this time around. The younger = more magic (although true fans never loose the magic part!) As my kids got older we are able to take full advantage of late night activities. When they were younger we took full advantage of character meet-n-greets! Enjoy,, have fun and go with the flow!:sohappy:

DizneyPryncess

We are taking our daughter when she is 13 months, this November. I went back & forth on it too, before making the decision. We came to the conclusion that we love Disney, and have been going yearly for a long time. We know she won't remember the trip, but we will.

With a 1 year old, it won't be the same trip you always do. There will be shorter days, nap times, lots of breaks, etc. But I think it'll still be fun. I read a blog of a woman who took her 1 year old to Disney, and the pictures were precious. Her trip report totally convinced me to go.

We made a few ADR's, but are keeping in mind that we may have to cancel them, or leave them early if she's being fussy. Just keep your expectations open, and your camera ready. :)

buseegal

as most have said ,she will not remember the trip but she will read the pictures. my 7 year old grandson can tell all about the trip when he was 4 months old. he loves to show you the book of that trip and tell you all about it. of course, he has no memory of the trip but he knows who is in the pictures.

S. Paridon

Go for it. We took our 11 month old son back in 2009 and he enjoyed it. Of course he didn't remember any of it when we went back in September that same year and June last year, but he had a good time before he was 1. Again, as people have said, you are on their schedule. Make sure to get naps in and bring snacks. Other than that have fun.

ferbtones

We took our daughter to Disney in Paris at 3 months old, 10 months old and 18 months old.
Does she remember - no of course not.
Did we enjoy it - yes of course we did.
She loved the colours and sounds.
And the characters went nuts for her, all wanting to pose with our baby. It was great.

carriebeth

if you plan to go every year you might as well start now. however if you would only go once every couple years or less often i would wait till she was at an age where she would remember it. One of my children had just turned 2 last Sept when we went and she remembers every detail of the trip and has not stopped talking about it and has been looking forward to this year's september trip with great expectation. The year before we went in Dec and she was just about a year and a half. She had fun while there but doesn't really remember it. I would say 2 years or older is best if you want them to remember it

slappy magoo

I'll tell you what I tell everyone. There is no too young. All kids enjoy Disney in different ways. While a 1yr old isn't going to be riding a bunch of rides, they love the shows and parades and stage shows. To them, the characters are real, not people in costumes

Ive been taking my kids since they were 1. While they didn't have specific memories of the trips, they remembered the excitement and that it was a great place and were right at home.
I'm not trying to be mean, I swear, but...they don't remember the excitement. They're responding to you remembering the excitement.

No one should take an infant to WDW hoping they'll love it. You take an infant because YOU want to go so much that you don't mind the fact that you're bringing an infant and your schedule will be dictated by the infant's needs and wants. You go because you want the pictures of the kids with Mickey Mouse, the kids will have no idea who Mickey Mouse is. And if your infant winds up liking or at least tolerating the trip...if he or she doesn't scream in terror over the sight of a 6 foot rat trying to play peek-a-boo, then it's all good in the hood. But if you're spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to do something for them? I hope you literally have money to burn.

slappy magoo

Go for it. We took our 11 month old son back in 2009 and he enjoyed it. Of course he didn't remember any of it when we went back in September that same year and June last year, but he had a good time before he was 1. Again, as people have said, you are on their schedule. Make sure to get naps in and bring snacks. Other than that have fun.

We took our daughter to Disney in Paris at 3 months old, 10 months old and 18 months old.
Does she remember - no of course not.
Did we enjoy it - yes of course we did.
She loved the colours and sounds.
And the characters went nuts for her, all wanting to pose with our baby. It was great.

That makes more sense. You go hoping the kid will like it but really for your own memories.

DiSnEyF@n

My daughter went for the first time at 6 months old. Then again at 18 months, 2 years and 28 months... She won't remember any of the trips but we have our memories of her there and pictures and videos that we watch together. I can't wait to take her back again! I say go!!!!

EOD K9

I took my daughters when they were ten months. Granted, it was for one day after we got off the cruise. However, they did enjoy Peter Pan, The People Mover, and Small World. We did take a feeding break at the child care center on Main Street. As long as you know that both they and you cannot do everything, you should be fine. They absolutely love Mickey and Minnie and have since been to the parks twice and two additional cruises. They wont remember, but they loved interacting with the characters and seeing the sights and sounds of the tame rides. You can absolutely tell they were enjoying themselves. So, by all means, head on down and have a great trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom