News “Zootopia” is being created for the Tree of Life theater

Castle Cake Apologist

The figures on the screen are just movie theater sized.

The place being an explicitly artifical tree (movie) house also makes more sense, unless you thought the Tree of Life was rotting.

The Tree of Life is a repertory theatre, not a movie theater. The characters on the "screen" are meant to be physically present in front of you on a stage, which is why it's in 3D. At no point has it ever been implied that you are watching a film, so the characters being "movie theater sized" is at odds with the human sized figure shown in the new concept art. Unless they're reaching new levels of laziness, and the new attraction is just presented as us watching a movie.

Epcot81Fan

Joe Rohde would be the one cancelling it.
So we can look forward to more “Rohde Magic” like this:

1722700694334.jpeg

Look closely kids, that’s real authentic asphalt cracks!

Epcot81Fan

I could remember wrong, but wasn’t the budget for AK cut significantly and this hamstrung the dinosaur area of the park and how much the imagineers could realistically do?
Ah yes, the inevitable “Rohde Magical List of Excuses”:

“Uh, uh, the budget was cut forcing me to make this embarrassing mess!”

“The timeframe was too short for doing actual quality work!”

“Management told me to build one of the most hideous structures in theme park history and permanently destroy the views of not one, but two parks!”

“The accountants told me to write an idiotic script about raccoon hands and repeatedly shouting at people to RAISE THEIR HANDS!!!!”

“The dog ate my homework and the sun got in my eyes!”

You’re judged by the end result - you built it, you own it.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Ah yes, the inevitable “Rohde Magical List of Excuses”:

“Uh, uh, the budget was cut forcing me to make this embarrassing mess!”

“The timeframe was too short for doing actual quality work!”

“Management told me to build one of the most hideous structures in theme park history and permanently destroy the views of not one, but two parks!”

“The accountants told me to write an idiotic script about raccoon hands and repeatedly shouting at people to RAISE THEIR HANDS!!!!”

“The dog ate my homework and the sun got in my eyes!”

You’re judged by the end result - you built it, you own it.
"I will fix the yeti someday"

Epcot81Fan

"I will fix the yeti someday"
Exactly.

Apparently, they did not include a visit to a structural engineering firm during their endless boondoggles - er, I mean "thematic scouting trips" - around the globe to collect more junk for the queue.

The key animatronic and finale of the entire attraction hasn't worked for years, but it's fine....

But hey, did we mention all of the junk in the queue?!

DisneyHead123

I could remember wrong, but wasn’t the budget for AK cut significantly and this hamstrung the dinosaur area of the park and how much the imagineers could realistically do?
I thought that was the case. Also, given the popularity of the original Jurassic Park movies at that time, my guess is that execs wanted to add dinosaurs, even if they weren’t a good fit thematically or in terms of age range (While tons of kids love dinosaurs, there’s probably a reason they’re not a popular theme park theme. Realistic dinosaurs scare young kids but cutesy dinosaurs just don’t quite work. They’ve got some interesting dinosaur exhibits for kids now like Dinos Alive, but they feature ferocious, sharp toothed predators. You would have to know your child and know if they could handle that.)

UNCgolf

Exactly.

Apparently, they did not include a visit to a structural engineering firm during their endless boondoggles - er, I mean "thematic scouting trips" - around the globe to collect more junk for the queue.

The key animatronic and finale of the entire attraction hasn't worked for years, but it's fine....

But hey, did we mention all of the junk in the queue?!

This is a bizarre argument -- using this logic, Tony Baxter is a terrible Imagineer because Splash was in terrible condition with broken AAs and was eventually replaced.

Rohde certainly isn't perfect, but he's one of the best Imagineers ever. If you actually care about Disney parks and want them to be quality, you'd want Disney to have 30 Joe Rohdes. Being anti-Rohde essentially means you're in favor of all of the things Disney has done over the past 15-20 years, like new EPCOT.

Club Cooloholic

Can we at least get DCA's old Bug's Land where Chester and Hester is in exchange for this? I know the attractions were really basic but that was sort of the point of it. It was also very green and lush.

EDIT: Well....scrap that idea. Encanto and Indy it is I guess.
Heimlich's Choo Choo is irreplaceable.

Ice Gator

Am I the only one who was kind of looking forward to this since the Tree of Life theater hasn’t had a new show yet? I love Bugs Life, don’t get me wrong, but I think it’s about time for a (less traumatizing) replacement.

I guess my rationale is we’d get this instead of a (subpar) clone of Zootopia land in Shanghai. One of my worst nightmares is finding out at D23 that they’re adding Zootopia land in MK as a part of Beyond Big Thunder- something that wouldn’t fit MK at all but also something I could see them not caring about and doing anyways instead of Villains land or a proper Frontier expansion.

I guess I’d be fine with a Zootopia land in AK too as long as it didn’t replace anything, but I just can’t see that happening unless they tear out Rafiki’s Planet Watch.

DisneyHead123

This is a bizarre argument -- using this logic, Tony Baxter is a terrible Imagineer because Splash was in terrible condition with broken AAs and was eventually replaced.

Rohde certainly isn't perfect, but he's one of the best Imagineers ever. If you actually care about Disney parks and want them to be quality, you'd want Disney to have 30 Joe Rohdes. Being anti-Rohde essentially means you're in favor of all of the things Disney has done over the past 15-20 years, like new EPCOT.

Yeah I get that there is a lot of fan anger at the moment but Rohdes seems like an unlikely target. The odds of agreeing with another person’s stylistic choices 100% of the time are slim, but I think there’s little doubt he cared about guest experience. There was no “Bah, good enough,” mindset there that I can see.

Epcot81Fan

“Hey, I’m a raccoon so my hands won’t scan the thingamajig to release the whatchamacallit so I need your hands to scan - or something!!! Raise your hands!!!!”

- One of the most idiotic attraction scripts ever

Oh, and your analogy is nonsensical because Splash’s lack of maintenance decades later had nothing to do with Baxter’s brilliant original Imagineering.

Faulty original engineering by Rohde’s team lead to the humiliating Yeti failure.

The “neer” in Imagineer is for engineering, which that was a complete failure of him and his team.

Imagine Bob Gurr saying “Well, we designed it to look cool, but it’s fine that it doesn’t work!”

But hey, keep making excuses for failure and terrible creative design!

Epcot81Fan

Yeah I get that there is a lot of fan anger at the moment but Rohdes seems like an unlikely target. The odds of agreeing with another person’s stylistic choices 100% of the time are slim, but I think there’s little doubt he cared about guest experience. There was no “Bah, good enough,” mindset there that I can see.
“Bah, good enough”

- Joe Rohde

1722739477811.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom