News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

danheaton

Oh sorry.... I meant the story of the shows development. Like what the original design was and how and why so many things got cut. The floating lanterns were cut for tech. Reasons, but in the concept art there were many more live performers including ones on the center float. That center float was supposed to do a lot more I think.

I totally agree! Part of me feels like the show was doomed from the start because of the reputation after the long delays. I really liked Rivers of Light with the performers, but I think having more spectacle like the lanterns would have made it a classic that Disney didn't feel the need to change two years later.

Kman101

What is there to update? The original press already stated it was premiering this weekend.

I think most thought they'd promote it more, at least a reminder on the blog. It's just oddly quiet. You don't think they'll do something before Epcot Forever and the replacement come online? I bet there's a blog post (not to mention videos).

If it was a significant change they'd be promoting it. This is a band-aid. And not the right one.

TTA94

I totally agree! Part of me feels like the show was doomed from the start because of the reputation after the long delays. I really liked Rivers of Light with the performers, but I think having more spectacle like the lanterns would have made it a classic that Disney didn't feel the need to change two years later.

Agreed, and expectations were very high with many wanting Rivers of Light to be similar to World of Color. Had that happened RoL would have been extremely popular. I’m sure it could still be done, maybe not with the same infrastructure but by several large barges. Hopefully this “new version” is temporary and a better show all together is in the works. Yea it’ll have IP as will Illuminations... unfortunately that’s just the way it is and going to be.

TTA94

No Name

The deer awakening is the best projection “show” Disney has ever produced in my opinion. I hope that stays in rotation with the new promotion.

Looks like it has the same show director as Happily Ever After. 🤔

Happily Ever After at least gives the movie highlights some place and purpose and doesn’t just utterly randomly assort them. The message of HEA is stronger than that of most recent nighttime shows. And it’s successful. If you’re correct I think RoL is in fairly good hands.

Good thing this isn’t being headed by someone like Steve Davison.

jrhwdw

I don't hate it, so that's good. it's a better Memorial Weekend debut than JB was.

The IP at the beginning has a HEA feel with the music changes, I liked how that was done. I think there was new lighting effects? maybe new lights??? IDK. it looked like DAK was trying to put more energy in ROL. Some of the original ROL music is still in there. Not shocked they ended with Simba's victory/COL Finale, it gives the finale more energy. I would have liked COL go somewhere else in ROL WAO an ended with the original finale since We Are One was the finale song. but I get what they did.,

Disone

Better, but only marginally. Basically was rivers of light featuring The Lion King. A surprisingly large part of the original show Remains the middle part of this show bookended by the Lion King. Not terrible if also not slightly predictable. I do feel like the finale was better.

General Mayhem

Good thing this isn’t being headed by someone like Steve Davison.
I know... he made World of Color like 17 times. Every time they put him as director of a show he would make the same show/parade over and over again. He has talent don't get me wrong but I think this is why it's good to have different directors every now and then. Personally I think HEA is one of the best night time shows Disney has done in about 20 years, partially because it takes risks that Steve's shows rarely did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom