Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveAZee

My wife talked a neighbor into getting the shot. The neighbor told my wife the only reason she got the shot was that my wife was the first person to talk to her about the shot like an adult.
My first thought was, who is the neighbor listening to or is surrounded by? That's too bad, but I'm glad your wife reached out to her.

Nubs70

Yeah, I'd be selling the darn thing. $75k ARV taxes at 22% plus 7.65% for FICA is a good 20k in taxes. I'd sell and maybe research DVC lol
Edit: just read fine print in the contest: employer will give additional cash payment to defray the cost of noncash prizes. Wow
Additional cash payments, along with the value of non cash prizes, from the employer is also considered taxable income

Rescue Ranger

I'll be interested to see what the crowds are like October 10th-17th when I'm there.

So many are warning of crowds and to stay away for the 50th....no restaurants, no hotels, nothing but lineups, more expensive, but will it really be that bad?

Covid, obviously, is still a thing. So many countries still can't travel like before. The international tour groups won't be a thing.

The first day/week I can definitely see being more busy however, I don't think its going to be insane all year. Had we never seen covid, THEN we would see a completely different experience. But the pandemic is still having a huge impact on travel and you even still have some locals who are not comfortable.

I'm traveling from Toronto early October and had no issues booking all the restaurants we wanted, great price on hotel and got all our park reservations. So I'm so far not seeing the warnings reflect reality.

Again, no matter what, crowd levels are still going to be impacted with the pandemic when you factor in the current state of global travel restrictions. The 50th may get busy, but it could and would have been much busier. I'll need to keep this in mind if I see a 70min line, chances are it would have been 120 in a 'normal' world.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Still better than having to come up with half of a new hourly employees yearly income themselves.
Yep, they call it grossing up a bonus or award to make sure the employee doesn’t owe any additional taxes. If the non-cash award is worth $50,000 they might offer the non-cash award plus $25,000 in cash to get to a gross reward of $75,000 but then they withhold the $25,000 for Federal and State taxes so your net payout is just the non-cash item. Come tax time you have $75,000 in extra earnings but extra withholding of $25,000 that if the math is done right would offset it.

Those stainless steel tumblers given out at work as incentives, yes taxable income.
Only if they are worth more than $75

drizgirl

To me, giving facts is better than scaring. That goes both ways too. We have so many scaring people out of vaccines. If people weren't afraid to catch covid before, scaring them now won't help anyway. Science and facts have gotten me further with others. JMO of course, but I understand your intent.
Facts are always better. Misleading people, no matter what the righteous motivation, is what leads to skepticism. And it's harder to get them to believe you next time.

drizgirl

My wife talked a neighbor into getting the shot. The neighbor told my wife the only reason she got the shot was that my wife was the first person to talk to her about the shot like an adult.
1000 times this. I know a lot of people would rather belittle and scold them. But if your goal really is to change hearts and minds, this is how you do it.

Kudos to your wife!

Virtual Toad

And what if they do not apply for legal residency?
Since you asked, they’re working on it. ICE is stepping up efforts to vaccinate immigrant detainees in government custody.

According to the article, 22,000 detainees have been vaccinated so far. 6000 have refused. But that makes for an effective vaccination rate of 78.6 percent among those offered the vaccine.

No one denies this is an issue that needs to be dealt with. And it is being dealt with. But immigrants, legal or otherwise, are not driving the outbreak here in the United States.

drizgirl

Since you asked, they’re working on it. ICE is stepping up efforts to vaccinate immigrant detainees in government custody.

According to the article, 22,000 detainees have been vaccinated so far. 6000 have refused. But that makes for an effective vaccination rate of 78.6 percent among those offered the vaccine.

No one denies this is an issue that needs to be dealt with. And it is being dealt with. But immigrants, legal or otherwise, are not driving the outbreak here in the United States.

78% of what? Are we to believe there have only been 22K people cross the border since vaccines became available?

willtravel

So you are saying that it's just the legal immigrants/citizens that are creating the problem? How do you know this? What about the 6000 that refused or the ones we don't know about that came thru? There have been more than 22,000 that have come thru the border.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Idaho allows overwhelmed hospitals across the state to ration care if necessary.

With its hospitals struggling to cope with a flood of patients, Idaho officials activated “crisis standards of care” across the state on Thursday, allowing overwhelmed facilities to ration treatment if needed.​
“The situation is dire — we don’t have enough resources to adequately treat the patients in our hospitals, whether you are there for Covid-19 or a heart attack or because of a car accident,” Dave Jeppesen, the director of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, said in a statement.​
Crisis standards of care lay out guidelines for hospitals to follow when they cannot meet demand and must ration services. Idaho officials noted that patients may find themselves being treated in repurposed rooms, or that needed equipment is not available. Some patients may have to wait for beds to become available.​
Though states around the country have prepared plans for how to allocate critical resources in a crisis during the pandemic, few have formally implemented such plans even when hospitalizations have soared. Alaska’s largest hospital said this week that it was operating under crisis standards, and that some emergency-room patients were having to wait in their vehicles for hours to be seen by a physician.​
Nationwide, new coronavirus cases and hospitalizations have declined slightly in recent weeks, but much of the progress seen in hard-hit Southern states is being offset by growing outbreaks in the Upper Midwest and Mountain West, including Idaho.​
One in four hospitals across the country reports that more than 95 percent of its intensive care beds were occupied as of the week ending Sept. 9, up from one in five hospitals last month. Experts say hospitals may have difficulty maintaining standards of care for the sickest patients when all or nearly all I.C.U. beds are occupied.​
Idaho adopted crisis standards for hospitals in the northern part of the state earlier this month. Nurses there are caring for higher patient loads than usual and are authorized not to check vital signs as often as they otherwise would. If the situation worsens, rationing could get more drastic, with hospitals having to decide which patients will get priority for limited supplies of oxygen or ventilators.​
Hospitalizations for Covid-19 have continued to surge across Idaho, and are now running nearly 40 percent above the previous peak of the pandemic, according to federal data. The state health department said that St. Luke’s Health System, which has a network of hospitals across the state, requested that the crisis standards be expanded statewide.​
1631821691499.png

Despite the spreading crisis, Gov. Brad Little has resisted imposing new coronavirus restrictions or mandating mask-wearing and vaccinations. That has led to growing frustration in neighboring Washington State, which has an indoor mask mandate and other safety protocols, and where hospitals have been strained by numerous patient transfers from Idaho.​
Idaho has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country. Mr. Jeppesen said the best way to end the use of crisis standards of care is for more people to get vaccinated.​
“Our hospitals and health care systems need our help,” he said.​

Virtual Toad

So you are saying that it's just the legal immigrants/citizens that are creating the problem? How do you know this? What about the 6000 that refused or the ones we don't know about that came thru? There have been more than 22,000 that have come thru the border.
I said they are working on it. Just like they are working on getting US citizens vaccinated. I can only assume that ICE agents will be chasing down illegal immigrants at the border with syringes in the near future (sarcasm).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Aides at U.S. nursing homes were least likely to be vaccinated, a study shows.

Nursing home aides — the staff members who provide the most direct care to residents — were the least likely to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by mid-July, according to a new analysis of U.S. facilities.​
The study underscores the influence that President Biden’s new federal mandate for all health care workers may have on populations like the elderly in nursing homes who are vulnerable to coronavirus infections, experts say.​
The findings are “alarming and reason for pause,” said Brian McGarry, a health researcher at the University of Rochester and one of the authors of the analysis, which appeared in a research letter in JAMA Internal Medicine on Thursday.​
Low vaccination rates among nursing home workers in some areas have fueled concern about fresh outbreaks among staff and residents in these facilities, even with high numbers of vaccinated residents. Covid deaths among nursing home staff and residents accounted for nearly one third of the nation’s pandemic fatalities as of June 1, and vaccination rates among staff average around 63 percent, according to the latest federal data.​
But slightly under half of the certified nursing assistants were fully vaccinated, according to the analysis, which looked at federal vaccination data through July 18. That was before many nursing homes, states and cities began imposing mandates.​
According to the study, in nursing homes overall, 61 percent of nurses, both registered nurses and licensed practical nurses, were vaccinated, compared with 71 percent of therapists and 77 percent of doctors and independent practitioners like physician assistants or nurse practitioners.​
Some large nursing homes were starting to mandate vaccinations as the Delta variant began tearing through their communities and coming into nursing homes. Genesis HealthCare, one of the nation’s largest nursing-home operators, required vaccinations in August and said it had “met our deadline of 100 percent vaccinated staff, as promised — excluding the small number of individuals who received medical or religious exemptions.”​
Nationally, about two-thirds of adults are now fully vaccinated, according to federal data.​
David Grabowski, a professor of health care policy at Harvard Medical School and one of the study’s authors, said few nursing homes have mandates in place so far. While homes’ vaccination rates have ticked up slightly, the overall rate for nursing homes has hovered at just a little above 60 percent in the last couple of months even as the Delta variant took hold and drove up new cases among staff and residents.​
The nursing home industry, which had been opposed to a mandate aimed specifically at its workers, favors the broader U.S. mandate. “We applaud President Biden for expanding Covid-19 vaccination requirements to all Medicare and Medicaid-certified health care settings as well as larger businesses,” said Mark Parkinson, the chief executive of the American Health Care Association, a major nursing home trade group, in a statement at the time.​
“Despite rampant misinformation spreading online, the industry has made significant progress toward increasing the number of nursing home staff who are vaccinated since the beginning of the year,” the group said.​
The researchers also looked at characteristics of the nation’s 15,000 nursing homes to determine which facilities had the most success in vaccinating their workers. While the vaccination rates of the county where they were located played a significant role, the researchers also found that traits like higher quality ratings from the Medicare program, the nonprofit status of the facility and a long-tenured staff also seemed to lead to higher rates.​
“That gives us some suggestion that facility culture and leadership may play a role,” Dr. McGarry said, and management at these nursing homes may be better able to work with their staff to increase vaccine acceptance.​
But none of those factors alone appeared to be critical in a nursing home’s success. “A lot of things seemed to matter a little bit,” he said.​
Most influential may be the president’s decision earlier this month to impose a new federal mandate requiring all health care workers to be vaccinated. Nursing home workers may no longer be able to “job shop” as easily to find employment where vaccines are not mandated.​
“The mandate takes all those things off the board and says everyone has to do it,” he said.​

willtravel

I said they are working on it. Just like they are working on getting US citizens vaccinated. I can only assume that ICE agents will be chasing down illegal immigrants at the border with syringes in the near future (sarcasm).
They should be (no sarcasm). With that I would say Covid and variants are here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom