Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Yeah, the Delta variant part is also tricky - get the booster when it comes out or wait for results of Delta variant trial or assume that booster will be just fine if it’s released before the results of the variant trial So far, Delta free, so Moderna (or my cautions) are working!
Option 3 here is get my spouse to enroll in variant trial lol

You know me though I wait to see from studies and trials, so no matter what I'm calm about it. All we can do is our best and wait and see.

Here's a bit on boosters and half doses for Moderna

zapple

Since people were discussing what counts as fully vaccinated, here is what Disney Cruise Line is accepting, and a dose of AZ plus one dose of mRNA does NOT count. A lot of Canadians fall under this and now can’t cruise with DCL. I’m not sure what other cruise lines or destinations are doing.

Everyone is also being tested at port with a rapid pcr.

26A0AE70-481A-4E78-85C9-012867D6D808.png

Polkadotdress

It sounds like in this study, they gave everyone the vaccine, but not all at the same time. Meaning some got a placebo at the start, but eventually got the real vaccine and others got the vaccine immediately. Everyone got it sometime in the 6 month timespan is how it sounds. Everyone is blind to when. This has to be more complicated to analyze then.

This also means for proof of vaccination, assuming this vaccine is accepted at all, it has to assume it was received at the end of the 6 months.

The study will have to analyze the differences between people with different durations and vs the public. Sounds much harder.
Yes, this is how her trial went. She received a series of 2 shots, and was “observed” over several months. Then she got an invitation to stay in trial, which would guarantee she got vaccine (if she hadn’t received it in first round of trial). All who chose to continue got the opposite of whatever they were given initially.

Lilofan

How’s that flu going that was supposed to disappear in April of 2020? We all good?
Actually with travel limited to non existent in spring 2020 and beyond, a number of the population masking up and not going out, flu numbers were not a big factor but covid on the other hand...

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
There was more movies delaying because the Delta variant wave will get bigger by this Winter, so mask mandate will be longer until Spring 2022.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Actually with travel limited to non existent in spring 2020 and beyond, a number of the population masking up and not going out, flu numbers were not a big factor but covid on the other hand...
I meant the folks who were calling COVID just another flu that would disappear by April 2020. The rest of us were just scared of a boogieman (who could certainly dance!)

J4546

covid really screwed things up for disney and everyone else and I know this board can be super negative, but I feel like we are on the cusp of a very cool era for the disney parks growth overall.

By the end of the 2021 we will have Rat expansion, Space 220, 1/2 of the Communicore, Harmonious...all at Epcot and a new Kite show at AK.

2022 will bring GotG Coaster, the rest of Communicore and JoW to Epcot (maybe Play!) As well as Tron to MK. Avengers Campus to DSP. Frozen Land to HKDL

2023 we get an Incredible 30+ acre expansion to DisneySea called Fantasy Springs (Im most excited about this) Zootopia Land in Shanghai and MMRR is DL

2024 is Frozen Land in DSP

thats on top of everything that weve gotten in the last 2 years.....2 star wars lands, toy story lands, MMRR in DHS, New Castle in HK, BatB expansion in TokyoDL, AC in CA,

im excited

GoofGoof

Premium Member
covid really screwed things up for disney and everyone else and I know this board can be super negative, but I feel like we are on the cusp of a very cool era for the disney parks growth overall.

By the end of the 2021 we will have Rat expansion, Space 220, 1/2 of the Communicore, Harmonious...all at Epcot and a new Kite show at AK.

2022 will bring GotG Coaster, the rest of Communicore and JoW to Epcot (maybe Play!) As well as Tron to MK. Avengers Campus to DSP. Frozen Land to HKDL

2023 we get an Incredible 30+ acre expansion to DisneySea called Fantasy Springs (Im most excited about this) Zootopia Land in Shanghai and MMRR is DL

2024 is Frozen Land in DSP

thats on top of everything that weve gotten in the last 2 years.....2 star wars lands, toy story lands, MMRR in DHS, New Castle in HK, BatB expansion in TokyoDL, AC in CA,

im excited
You left out genie+ and the paid lightning lane. I think until we know how that system will work for WDW the best I can muster is cautious optimism. That being said I will say that based on observations from my recent trip to the swamps, Rise is an amazing ride (all of Galaxy’s Edge is amazing), truly world class and I really enjoyed MMRR too. Don’t tell anyone else but I actually think TSL was pretty well done as well for what it is. Seeing the Tron construction site makes me think it will likely be a pretty fun ride and the Guardians of the Universe of Energy building is just massive so there is plenty of room for that to be a pretty epic ride too. It’s hard to imagine what EPCOT will look like when the walls come down, but I do look forward to seeing it.

I do think AK is in desperate need of 1 additional land. I’d rather see them use the expansion pad behind Asia as opposed to re-theming Dino land. If they built an Australia themed land that could be pretty cool although no real IP to tie in. Maybe Zootopia instead. They just need one more area to round out the park. I also think DHS could do something with Echo Lake and/or Animation court yard area and I wouldn’t be opposed to a clone of Indy from DLR in echo lake area or something unique and some updated shows and maybe a new ride in animation courtyard area. A new country in EPCOT would be pretty cool too.

All that being said I agree that covid definitely set Disney back and there won’t likely be a strong budget for large, new capital spend for a few years. If it wasn’t for Covid and all the delays all the great stuff you listed would already be mostly open and we’d be talking about something else possibly opening in 2023 or 2024. Instead a lot of those projects I was spitballing about are probably more like 2025 and later if at all. It’s a shame to see, but we had a lull after 9/11 and a lull after the Great Recession and we eventually saw a bunch of new projects at WDW. It will happen, it just takes time.

juliet3

You might want to read this. They were enrolling prior to EAU
Participants were randomly assigned to receive two shots, 21 days apart, of either the investigational vaccine or a saline placebo. Randomization occurred in a 2:1 ratio with two volunteers receiving NVX-CoV2373 for each one who received placebo. Because the trial was blinded, neither investigators nor participants knew who received the candidate vaccine.

Unless this was a spinoff study, that's not how the ones who enrolled last year work.

Let's be blunt here. When I enrolled over a year ago I knew full well that I may or may not be vaccinated for a full 2 years. They changed it after EAU for their vaccine. Pfizer-BioNTech decided this was the most ethical manner to do it. They waited for data and now use us for long term efficacy and side effect recording. If trials were going during a time when one was not eligible for vaccination, and this one was for sure, then no one was required to give someone anything. Actually they still aren't but the decision was made to be nice and vaccinate. These are all risks one takes when enrolling.

Edit: btw glad to see a good efficacy for this one as well. Globally, unlike the mRNA that require intense freezers, this could make a huge difference in numbers.
My husband is currently in this trial. The participants are still blinded, but Novavax did a blinded crossover in the spring so that those who received the actual vaccine originally then received the placebo, and those who originally received the placebo received the vaccine. Therefore, the subjects remain blinded as to when they received the vaccine, but all have gotten the vaccine. He did receive a CDC vaccination card after the crossover which looks nearly identical to everyone else's card but has "trial participant" at the top. Hope that helps clear up any confusion!

StarWarsGirl

Just got here this morning. Both my home airport (BWI) and MCO were whacked out. It was so bad that the MDE line was wrapped down the hall and around some chairs, as wers rental car lines. I gave up on MDE pretty quickly and took a Lyft. The weird thing was that my flight wasn't full, which is unusual for Orlando flights. I had an open seat next to me.

I didn't make it over to any of the parks; I hit the pool all day. DS was insanely crowded, but they had good labor day sales and people were abiding by the indoor mask rules, so it was fine.

StarWarsGirl

A personal, non-WDW covid note:

My grandmother had been one of the ones who hadn't gotten the vaccine. She was worried about the side effects of it. I'd been working on her to see if I could get her to take it, including that I'd gotten it in spite of having a reaction to another vaccine and it was fine.

Well, yesterday, she got diagnosed, at 82 years old, with asthma. Her doctor sat her down and begged her to take the vaccine and said they'd give it to her right there and monitor her afterward.

She did it! Got it, no side effects other than a sore arm. It's a huge weight off of me and my family's chest because obviously, given her age, we were very concerned about her not having it.

So for anyone who's wondering about the unvaccinated, please remember that many of them have family members, doctors, and loved ones who are working on them to convince them to get the shot, and in some cases, we're successful.

Angel Ariel

A personal, non-WDW covid note:

My grandmother had been one of the ones who hadn't gotten the vaccine. She was worried about the side effects of it. I'd been working on her to see if I could get her to take it, including that I'd gotten it in spite of having a reaction to another vaccine and it was fine.

Well, yesterday, she got diagnosed, at 82 years old, with asthma. Her doctor sat her down and begged her to take the vaccine and said they'd give it to her right there and monitor her afterward.

She did it! Got it, no side effects other than a sore arm. It's a huge weight off of me and my family's chest because obviously, given her age, we were very concerned about her not having it.

So for anyone who's wondering about the unvaccinated, please remember that many of them have family members, doctors, and loved ones who are working on them to convince them to get the shot, and in some cases, we're successful.
SO glad to hear this! I wish we could get AIL (aunt in law) to take the vax, but she still refuses. She wants us to come visit, and needles away at that.. we had to point out that now that our under 12 child is back in school (no choice for mental health reasons), we are just as much of a risk to her as she is to our high risk DD, and we don’t want to be responsible for her getting it.

dolbyman

Since people were discussing what counts as fully vaccinated, here is what Disney Cruise Line is accepting, and a dose of AZ plus one dose of mRNA does NOT count. A lot of Canadians fall under this and now can’t cruise with DCL. I’m not sure what other cruise lines or destinations are doing.

Everyone is also being tested at port with a rapid pcr.

View attachment 584725

Yup they said it has superior antibody response compared to Astra x2 ..so I went with it.

Oh well..a cruise is not in the cards in 2021 anyways..till 2022 boosters have probably been administered anyways...so that makes me eligible ...hopefully

Timmay

Seems the doctor was stretching the truth a tad bit

Northeastern Hospital System Sequoyah issued a statement:
Although Dr. Jason McElyea is not an employee of NHS Sequoyah, he is affiliated with a medical staffing group that provides coverage for our emergency room. With that said, Dr. McElyea has not worked at our Sallisaw location in over 2 months. NHS Sequoyah has not treated any patients due to complications related to taking ivermectin. This includes not treating any patients for ivermectin overdose. All patients who have visited our emergency room have received medical attention as appropriate. Our hospital has not had to turn away any patients seeking emergency care. We want to reassure our community that our staff is working hard to provide quality healthcare to all patients. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify this issue and as always, we value our community’s support.

LittleBuford

Seems the doctor was stretching the truth a tad bit

Northeastern Hospital System Sequoyah issued a statement:
Although Dr. Jason McElyea is not an employee of NHS Sequoyah, he is affiliated with a medical staffing group that provides coverage for our emergency room. With that said, Dr. McElyea has not worked at our Sallisaw location in over 2 months. NHS Sequoyah has not treated any patients due to complications related to taking ivermectin. This includes not treating any patients for ivermectin overdose. All patients who have visited our emergency room have received medical attention as appropriate. Our hospital has not had to turn away any patients seeking emergency care. We want to reassure our community that our staff is working hard to provide quality healthcare to all patients. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify this issue and as always, we value our community’s support.
Very disappointing if it turns out he exaggerated or fabricated any part of his account. The last thing we need is more disinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom