All things Universal Studios Hollywood

waltography

Terminator was incredible. Such an effective mix of media. I miss it. I’m thankful that they still have Water World. It’s still their second best attraction after the Tram Tour (IMO). It’s what Universal is all about. I feel lucky that it’s still going, and it sounds like Universal is still committed to keeping it going!

Universal is small... but some of their rides pack a serious punch.
It amazes me how good Water World is after all these years; I really can't imagine Universal without it. Whenever Disney tries to do a stunt show, it always comes across as a bit too artificial somehow.

Tamandua

So is there any practical reason why universal can't sell annual passes online right now? They keep telling everyone to buy a one day ticket and then upgrade it when they go, but I have this suspicion that all these people will go to upgrade only to find the prices a lot higher than they expected.

Rich T

Just watched a ride-through of SLOP. I have no interest in the IP and was prepared to hate it, but there’s so much that’s well done and clever going on... My criticisms are nitpicks. I think it’s too brightly lit, but that’s a personal preference; the ride certainly is designed to look good that way. I don’t think the look-you’re-a-puppy/kitten thing works at all. The adoption finale is creepy. And why are you locked into your seat as if you’re riding Steel Vengeance???

Overall, it looks like a high-quality ride, and a lot more fun than Little Mermaid or Tokyo’s BatB.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Just watched a ride-through of SLOP. I have no interest in the IP and was prepared to hate it, but there’s so much that’s well done and clever going on... My criticisms are nitpicks. I think it’s too brightly lit, but that’s a personal preference; the ride certainly is designed to look good that way. I don’t think the look-you’re-a-puppy/kitten thing works at all. The adoption finale is creepy. And why are you locked into your seat as if you’re riding Steel Vengeance???

Overall, it looks like a high-quality ride, and a lot more fun than Little Mermaid or Tokyo’s BatB.

I think the recording is low-light which makes it appear brighter. I'd imagine the ceiling and black areas would vanish moreso in perosn.

CaptinEO

So is there any practical reason why universal can't sell annual passes online right now? They keep telling everyone to buy a one day ticket and then upgrade it when they go, but I have this suspicion that all these people will go to upgrade only to find the prices a lot higher than they expected.
I find it weird as well. My wife and I wanted to buy them but can't. Did they sell too many passes after a day? I find it hard to believe.

Californian Elitist

I find it weird as well. My wife and I wanted to buy them but can't. Did they sell too many passes after a day? I find it hard to believe.
According to their Twitter, passes are no longer available online at the moment. Guests will be allowed to upgrade to a pass on the day they visit with a 1-day ticket. I've done this before in the past and the price was the same.

Tamandua

According to their Twitter, passes are no longer available online at the moment. Guests will be allowed to upgrade to a pass on the day they visit with a 1-day ticket. I've done this before in the past and the price was the same.
Right... I'm just saying it's weird that they aren't selling them online and they're telling people to upgrade in person. What if on the first day they announce a price increase on the annual passes and force people to either pay the higher price, or pay the full one day price for their admission. At that point it would really be too late to back out. I hope that's not the case but they're being pretty coy about the annual pass situation right now.

Californian Elitist

Right... I'm just saying it's weird that they aren't selling them online and they're telling people to upgrade in person. What if on the first day they announce a price increase on the annual passes and force people to either pay the higher price, or pay the full one day price for their admission. At that point it would really be too late to back out. I hope that's not the case but they're being pretty coy about the annual pass situation right now.
It's Universal; I doubt they would do something like that. But if they do, the customer can either agree to pay the new price and upgrade to a pass or not pay and just keep their regular ticket.

Tamandua

What about people who would only want to go if they knew they could upgrade at a certain price? That's where we were at. My wife and I were thinking about going but don't want to pay full price for a day, but we're also nervous about buying and booking a single day ticket with basically no information on what the upgrade options are. For us, we're just waiting it out, but I could see a bunch of people buying single day tickets because they were told they could upgrade and then being disappointed at the upgrade prices, or blackout calendar, or benefits options, or whatever. At that point, you basically have a bunch of people who bought single day tickets who otherwise wouldn't have bought them because they expected it to be a down payment on a pass they no longer want.

Rich T

What about people who would only want to go if they knew they could upgrade at a certain price? That's where we were at. My wife and I were thinking about going but don't want to pay full price for a day, but we're also nervous about buying and booking a single day ticket with basically no information on what the upgrade options are. For us, we're just waiting it out, but I could see a bunch of people buying single day tickets because they were told they could upgrade and then being disappointed at the upgrade prices, or blackout calendar, or benefits options, or whatever. At that point, you basically have a bunch of people who bought single day tickets who otherwise wouldn't have bought them because they expected it to be a down payment on a pass they no longer want.
I think that USH is just ecstatic to be welcoming customers back and, since demand is high and safe crowd control is a priority right now, that missing out on potential sales is not a concern currently. Potential pass buyers staying away right now is actually a plus for them.

Rich T

Anyone who isn’t charmed and delighted by the Secret Life of Pets ride must hate puppies
Either that, or they just hate obnoxious CGI movie characters. Seriously though, even though I dislike the franchise, I think SLOP looks like a very sweet, clever, well-done ride. Universal put much more creativity and well-spent money into this dark ride than they needed to, which is a lot more than I can say for Disney’s handling of animation-themed rides lately.

wityblack

I'm so pumped to go on the 26th! Come say hi to me if you're there! I knew everyone was sleeping on this ride since it was first announced that it would be an animatronic extravaganza. A fun fact: It's called Off the Leash because the original design for the ride was completely different and was going to be trackless. It would have been built where Super Nintendo World is being built now. Even though they totally changed the concept and the show scenes, they kept the name!

Rich T

The only complaint I've heard is that the cars are tiny and if guests are a little overweight, they cannot ride this flat darkride. My friend was there Sunday and saw some crying kids who couldn't ride because their parent didn't fit.
Seriously, those seats and restraints look like they’re for a multi-looping RMC coaster. I’d love to hear someone involved with the project explain this.

Rich T

Question about the SLOP “mirror” scenes: is that animation in real time? Does it track your head and arm movements? Because that would be very cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom