DisneylandForward

J4546

i think creating a walking bridge over harbour blvd and moving the security check to the new drop off/parking structure will could be a great improvement on the overall courtyard between the 2 parks as well as great for CA. That old area would be a pretty large expansion plot and CA could def use a few more rides and an overhaul of that entire area regardless. I think that, and redoing the nemo/autopia area would be at the top of the hypothetical project list for the california parks.

What do you all think would go in that area? They would def tear down Monsters Inc and the other buildings over there...maybe even hyperion?

DisneyEthan

Exactly! This is literally my point. Every time they tried this approach and it works too well then they panic lol. And that's literally what they thought would happen with GE and that it would be such a huge pull that it would bring in people from all over the world to see it while trying to mitigate the crowds at the same time. Well that didn't happen either! Not only did less locals show up because they didn't have APs to go more often, not even more hotel guests showed up, which was, once again the entire point.

So that's why I don't really understand or buy they want or even expect a lot more out of towners to be big enough to carry the resort. That's why I think this is ONLY being done because they know they have to limit capacity in a big way for awhile. But if you're freaking out when your new billion dollar Star Wars land didn't bring in the tourists I just don't know how they suddenly think it's going to be any different now? Especially with such an economic downturn and many people still afraid to get on planes. I know WDW and USO are doing well but they are still at capped capacity. I doubt either would fill up like the old days because there are way less people flying in to America right now.

That's why I never buy this 'the resort can depend more on vacationers' mantra because every time they try....just a little, it backfires and then they are back to local discounting and bring a friend programs.

APs will be back for sure. They may call it something else and more restrictions, but it will be back.
They are already coming back as "members" in the new membership thing coming probably next year

shambolicdefending

It was overdue at the time, because the AP program demanded more and more APs for growth, and APs generally come one per car. Previously, with the plan to keep APs, they were going to need to expand the program to pay off SWGE. It would have been a never ending cycle of needing more and more APs and more and more parking until the parks were at capacity every day. It was a bad idea all around.

As long as the AP program is gone, there will be less need for parking. Period.
The primary purpose of the eastern gateway isn't more parking.

el_super

The key to the Eastern Gateway has always been to open up the area on the West side of Harbor and to shift Security.

False. The key was always to reutilize land that was dedicated to a parking structure. You yourself seemed to understand that when you kept saying they could build one by right. Parking was the immediate and crucial need.

Every other piece of the project was supporting that parking structure. Moving security, building a bridge, freeing up the transportation area. Without spending hundreds of millions on a parking structure the rest cant be justified.

I think it might still be a decade or more before Disney decides they need to expand DCA north. When that time comes, they can (and will) figure out hoa to move the buses and expand. But they aren't going to base it off a proposal that doesn't apply anymore.

It will be another couple years before they figure out their new plan, but I doubt it will have a parking structure, and from that, I also doubt it will have a bridge.

Darkbeer1

Once again, the 2028 Olympics are a big deal for the resort area. Not just for people coming to the Honda Center and Angel Stadium to watch games, but to have visitors choose Anaheim to stay and then using trains and other transit options, attend the games at many venues.

So the Bridge, security, and opening the land and expanding the parks, probably DCA, is the key, and to get it done by 2028, things have to start moving, and that is the Goal for Disneyland Forward.

And yes, S.O.A.R. is an important part of the plan.

shambolicdefending

False. The key was always to reutilize land that was dedicated to a parking structure. You yourself seemed to understand that when you kept saying they could build one by right. Parking was the immediate and crucial need.

Every other piece of the project was supporting that parking structure. Moving security, building a bridge, freeing up the transportation area. Without spending hundreds of millions on a parking structure the rest cant be justified.

I think it might still be a decade or more before Disney decides they need to expand DCA north. When that time comes, they can (and will) figure out hoa to move the buses and expand. But they aren't going to base it off a proposal that doesn't apply anymore.

It will be another couple years before they figure out their new plan, but I doubt it will have a parking structure, and from that, I also doubt it will have a bridge.
What are your sources on this?

It contradicts pretty much everything I've heard or read about it.

el_super

So the Bridge, security, and opening the land and expanding the parks, probably DCA, is the key, and to get it done by 2028, things have to start moving, and that is the Goal for Disneyland Forward.

How about we try this a different way: why don't you tell us why they haven't submittted to the planning commission yet? Didn't you claim they were going to do that back in November, immediately after the election?

Have they just been too busy?

Darkbeer1

How about we try this a different way: why don't you tell us why they haven't submittted to the planning commission yet? Didn't you claim they were going to do that back in November, immediately after the election?

Have they just been too busy?
Disney was asked to wait by members of the city council while they were trying to get the Angel Stadium deal done, and to get the Anaheim First program passed

The project requires political pressure, and the non-Disney political groups are expected to fight the project.

It was on the late summer/fall 2020 timeliness until COVID hit. The results of the November helped the situation. Plus the fact that Recall the Mayor attempt failed, mainly due to the lack of Unite Here funding.

So now the 2028 deadline is key.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom