Trip Report (Completed) The Final Countdown

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Well, I guess that answers my question! :hilarious: My mom always called it a "tank heater" but when I googled it, it looks like most people call it an "engine block heater" or just "block heater". So maybe it is just a thing in the really cold regions.... @ajrwdwgirl , you're from a colder area....do you have block heaters on your cars and do you keep emergency kits in your car in case of a blizzard?

In Wyoming, the weather can change really really fast...we have an expression: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it will change. So maybe the kits are more for the sudden blizzards that you don't expect. We were on a speech and debate trip once in high school, and we were on our way home when a storm hit and it was getting really bad. We were at the hospital (long story, but one of the girls got food poisoning) and the principal refused to let us get a hotel room where we were, so we had to drive through a mountain pass in a blizzard....our poor driver....she was such a hero. You couldn't see 5 feet in front of the bus and what would normally be a half hour trip took us several hours, and they closed the road right behind us. So we ended up getting stuck in the next town because the road was closed. But it was just a freak snowstorm that came out of nowhere. That's what the kits are for.

I do not have a block heater in my car. I knew people that had them, maybe about 10 years ago but now with newer cars I've been told that they aren't as necessary. I use to have a blanket, shovel, sand bags, and other emergency supplies in my car when I had to commute more but now I live only a couple minutes from my work and I wouldn't drive anywhere now if it was bad weather so I don't keep much for emergency supplies. There is always a blanket, hat, gloves, and extra ice scraper in my car. My husband has a kit in his car but doesn't put sand in his trunk. I do keep a small air pump in my car for any emergency tire fill up.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I do not have a block heater in my car. I knew people that had them, maybe about 10 years ago but now with newer cars I've been told that they aren't as necessary. I use to have a blanket, shovel, sand bags, and other emergency supplies in my car when I had to commute more but now I live only a couple minutes from my work and I wouldn't drive anywhere now if it was bad weather so I don't keep much for emergency supplies. There is always a blanket, hat, gloves, and extra ice scraper in my car. My husband has a kit in his car but doesn't put sand in his trunk. I do keep a small air pump in my car for any emergency tire fill up.

Just a general fyi: a good thing to also have on hand in the car (it's really small when folded up, about the size of a wallet -- and easily fits into the glove compartment) is one of those space blankets (emergency mylar solar blankets). They're really cheap (usually under $5). I always keep 1-2 in the car, year-round, in case of any weather emergency. Haven't needed to use them yet--so far, so good! :)

Minnesota disney fan

Well, I guess that answers my question! :hilarious: My mom always called it a "tank heater" but when I googled it, it looks like most people call it an "engine block heater" or just "block heater". So maybe it is just a thing in the really cold regions.... @ajrwdwgirl , you're from a colder area....do you have block heaters on your cars and do you keep emergency kits in your car in case of a blizzard?

In Wyoming, the weather can change really really fast...we have an expression: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it will change. So maybe the kits are more for the sudden blizzards that you don't expect. We were on a speech and debate trip once in high school, and we were on our way home when a storm hit and it was getting really bad. We were at the hospital (long story, but one of the girls got food poisoning) and the principal refused to let us get a hotel room where we were, so we had to drive through a mountain pass in a blizzard....our poor driver....she was such a hero. You couldn't see 5 feet in front of the bus and what would normally be a half hour trip took us several hours, and they closed the road right behind us. So we ended up getting stuck in the next town because the road was closed. But it was just a freak snowstorm that came out of nowhere. That's what the kits are for.

I'm not ajrwdwgirl, but I live in the frozen Northern Minnesota, 5 hours drive away from Minneapolis, LOL.
When we first moved here from Tennessee, I wondered about all the "plug in" cars???
Then winter came and I Knew why. It's a block heater and absolutely needed if your car sits outside all day, like when I was at work in the frozen tundra :)
I also drove all over for home health care patients, and had an emergency kit in my trunk which consisted of: A candle, matches, food bar, flashlite and batteries, gloves, and covered with a warm stocking hat. Never needed it, but other RN's had need of them.

Songbird76

I'm not ajrwdwgirl, but I live in the frozen Northern Minnesota, 5 hours drive away from Minneapolis, LOL.
When we first moved here from Tennessee, I wondered about all the "plug in" cars???
Then winter came and I Knew why. It's a block heater and absolutely needed if your car sits outside all day, like when I was at work in the frozen tundra :)
I also drove all over for home health care patients, and had an emergency kit in my trunk which consisted of: A candle, matches, food bar, flashlite and batteries, gloves, and covered with a warm stocking hat. Never needed it, but other RN's had need of them.
Oh yeah. I forgot the flashlight and batteries. Those are good to have no matter where you live, in case you are driving in the dark and have to change a tire, or replace a headlight. I had to change a headlight in the dark once....so much fun. <insert sarcastic face here>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom