Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Experience

Did you find out for sure about your shot? Best wishes to your dad.
Moderna will reveal everyone soon. (Wife’s study)

Pfizer I would have to tell the research site and ask for unmasking.
I would verify for sure if my father gets symptoms.

Really sure I got vaccinated.But cannot be absolutely sure unless unmasked, and I am trying to stay masked as long as possible for the study sake.

My hope is that my Dad is asymptomatic and fully recovers with no long term damage. Too early to tell. Someone his age I would have thought they might be proactive in treatment, but I guess not.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
"The United States will begin requiring people flying in from the U.K. to test negative for Covid-19 no more than 72 hours before departure, the CDC said in a late Thursday statement.

The announcement comes after the U.K. earlier this week said it identified a new strain of Covid-19 that appears to spread more quickly. The CDC said President Donald Trump will sign the order on Friday and the measure will go into effect Monday.

The CDC said passengers would have to provide airlines with documentation of their lab results from either polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or antigen tests.

Airlines, which have largely already announced such measures this week, would also have to confirm that passengers have tested negative before boarding, the agency said. They would also have to block passengers from boarding if they refuse to take a test."

I can’t believe this is only going into effect like this month. I mean, I guess I can. Bad strain bad, not so bad bad strain — who cares?!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The author comes off a bit hypocritical in this article.

He writes of taking serious precautions such as driving themselves to airport, sitting in the back row of the plane to avoid passing others while boarding (which seems a bit silly considering they were just inside an airport passing hundreds if not thousands of people), and making sure the airline was enforcing mask requirements and plexiglass dividers and then the same for Disney bus on the way to their resort.

But once in the parks, he criticizes the plexiglass dividers on the attractions and doesn't like that he can't capture the smiles on his kids face due to mask requirements. He pokes fun at the character cavalcades by calling them "impromptu drive-bys" and throws another jab for the characters being distanced and spaced apart. He also dings the parks for being too crowded, even though he just put his family on a sealed tube with hundreds of people breathing cabin air while flying across the country for several hours.

Considering that WDW has been open for months and there are literally thousands of videos online documenting exactly what the park experience is now like, he only has himself to blame for being upset over the "missing magic" and the safety of his family. But he chooses to write an article with an extremely selective viewpoint and throws a click bait title above it instead.

I commend him for trying to give his family a fun vacation during this unique time we live in, but I award him no points for having boundless hypocrisy.

DisneyDebRob

The author comes off a bit hypocritical in this article.

He writes of taking serious precautions such as driving themselves to airport, sitting in the back row of the plane to avoid passing others while boarding (which seems a bit silly considering they were just inside an airport passing hundreds if not thousands of people), and making sure the airline was enforcing mask requirements and plexiglass dividers and then the same for Disney bus on the way to their resort.

But once in the parks, he criticizes the plexiglass dividers on the attractions and doesn't like that he can't capture the smiles on his kids face due to mask requirements. He pokes fun at the character cavalcades by calling them "impromptu drive-bys" and throws another jab for the characters being distanced and spaced apart. He also dings the parks for being too crowded, even though he just put his family on a sealed tube with hundreds of people breathing cabin air while flying across the country for several hours.

Considering that WDW has been open for months and there are literally thousands of videos online documenting exactly what the park experience is now like, he only has himself to blame for being upset over the "missing magic" and the safety of his family. But he chooses to write an article with an extremely selective viewpoint and throws a click bait title above it instead.

I commend him for trying to give his family a fun vacation during this unique time we live in, but I award him no points for having boundless hypocrisy.
I can see some of your points but do not think it was being hypocritical.
To start with your first point of him wanting to be in the back of the plane, well that makes sense. Yes he has been in the airport with thousands of people but most guidelines put it at about 15 minutes or more of being near someone. Now I don’t know if he was around the same people in close proximity in the airport for that length of time but for sure he would be on a plane and he wanted to keep his distance as much as possible. I get that.
As for the plexiglass dividers I agree. If you want it safe, you shouldn’t complain.
As for seeing videos online and reading about what WDW is like, well it’s literally changing daily. Social distancing has gone by the wayside fir the most part of what I’m reading.. people feeling crowded with no room to stand by themselves with distance. Now in the last few weeks most rides are filling up all the rows, something someone would have no idea about if they booked months ago. I can see the complaints and don’t criticize him for that at all.
Most know the basics of what is closed and not going on in Disney so there should be no complaints about that. But the changes taking place daily or weekly now, that’s another story. Maybe if they said something like.. On February 1st we will open up all rows of rides.. might help with people that thought something different when they booked and give them a chance to make the decision of going or not.

correcaminos

Moderna will reveal everyone soon. (Wife’s study)

Pfizer I would have to tell the research site and ask for unmasking.
I would verify for sure if my father gets symptoms.

Really sure I got vaccinated.But cannot be absolutely sure unless unmasked, and I am trying to stay masked as long as possible for the study sake.

My hope is that my Dad is asymptomatic and fully recovers with no long term damage. Too early to tell. Someone his age I would have thought they might be proactive in treatment, but I guess not.
Gotcha. I'm in the BioNTech/Pfizer one too and just waiting. Valid point on taking care of your dad. I was considering contacting so I could help care for my aunt so my own dad did not have to risk himself for her (she never married nor had kids due to disabilities from birth, so care fell to us) but she passed away before we discussed it really. Her burial is actually today. So I wait like you. For anyone wondering if you are a care giver of someone paid or not, they would unblind for you.

I did know Moderna was unblinding faster. Once unblinded I will do whatever they need to remain in the study. I'm pretty confident with mine as well but one never knows. Still I was very convinced I had the placebo for the first few hours after injection, then not at all convinced of placebo lol I'm very low risk as it is which is why I was okay signing up for the trial.

Continued best wishes to your dad!

Disstevefan1

I read the piece. The title is really click bait. Yes, a trip to WDW during the pandemic is not worth the money. Before the pandemic, there were many folks who thought a trip to WDW was not worth the money because of over crowding and high prices of everything.

I will again recall my last visit in Nov. 2019, we were at F&W and it was so crowded we couldn’t get near a food booth to buy our $6 food sampling. In all the decades of going to EPCOT, I had never seen it so crowded (New Years Eve aside 😀) .

The article brings up both the good and the bad.

And we must all keep in mind the author felt it was safe enough for the whole family to go to WDW and seemingly had a good time, heck, the author got to go to WDW! A lot of folks can’t for a variety of reasons

The author just thought this WDW vacation was not worth the money that it cost. That’s all I got from the article.

The value of a WDW vacation is and will always be subjective.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I can see some of your points but do not think it was being hypocritical.
To start with your first point of him wanting to be in the back of the plane, well that makes sense. Yes he has been in the airport with thousands of people but most guidelines put it at about 15 minutes or more of being near someone. Now I don’t know if he was around the same people in close proximity in the airport for that length of time but for sure he would be on a plane and he wanted to keep his distance as much as possible. I get that.
As for the plexiglass dividers I agree. If you want it safe, you shouldn’t complain.
As for seeing videos online and reading about what WDW is like, well it’s literally changing daily. Social distancing has gone by the wayside fir the most part of what I’m reading.. people feeling crowded with no room to stand by themselves with distance. Now in the last few weeks most rides are filling up all the rows, something someone would have no idea about if they booked months ago. I can see the complaints and don’t criticize him for that at all.
Most know the basics of what is closed and not going on in Disney so there should be no complaints about that. But the changes taking place daily or weekly now, that’s another story. Maybe if they said something like.. On February 1st we will open up all rows of rides.. might help with people that thought something different when they booked and give them a chance to make the decision of going or not.
The article implies that his family has been to WDW before so I wouldn't put him in the category of being new to the parks experience. Granted it doesnt state how often they visit, but if he was inclined enough to write an article about the diminished experience, I would hope he's been enough times to know the difference, otherwise he is doing his readers a huge disservice.

The article also shows his high level of concern for the safety of his family. The man works in the media business and should absolutely know that there is a treasure trove of vloggers who are at the parks on a daily basis documenting any and every change being made from cupcakes to new safety protocol. Not to mention myriad of websites such as this one. For him to not take advantage of these outlets is nobody's fault but his own.

A simple change to the title of the article would make a big difference. IMO, it is very hypocritical of him to criticize Disney and then warn others not to visit due to his own mistakes in planning. It also seems a tad selfish to be so strict in regards to following the safety guidelines such as mask, plexiglass dividers, distancing, etc, which are to prevent you (such as him, the author) from spreading the virus, (not catching it), but also blatantly disregard the advice to not travel (especially across country) or attend large gatherings (such as a theme park).

As we all know, the safety protocols are primarily to protect others, not yourself. The author seems far more concerned for his family and not for others. Quite selfish to take the seats in the back of the airplane for his family's safety. Why not give up your seats to an elderly group or someone who is at higher risk? That's the point of the safety measure, right? Aren't we all in this together? And yes, I'm being overly critical, but only to highlight the ridiculousness of this article, and to a larger scale of how so many people make a stink about others not following safety guidelines yet they go out and violate them themselves.

I see masks littering parking lots at grocery stores, gas stations, on the side of the road when I go for a jog and many other places where there's a trash can within 50 feet, but people just toss them on the ground. I see people pull their mask down to cough or sneeze. It shows that their true concern is only for themselves. They seriously think wearing a mask will prevent them from getting the virus and that's why they wear it. They don't wear it to protect others. They tops their germ infected mask on the ground for someone else to pick up. This author is no different, IMO. Either practice what you preach or sit down and be quiet. Don't criticize the very place (WDW) that ALLOWS you to bring YOUR family (which he took full advantage of), to enjoy a vacation during what has a been a very trying and difficult year for so many, and that also takes EVERY safety precaution they can and then turn around tell others not to go that same place because he felt they weren't doing enough, or it was less "magical" due to the very same safety measures he him self practices.

He should have written his article about a grocery store or big box store, which I'm sure he has visited both many times and which are both doing far, far less than WDW in regards to the safety he seems to care so much about.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I read the piece. The title is really click bait. Yes, a trip to WDW during the pandemic is not worth the money. Before the pandemic, there were many folks who thought a trip to WDW was not worth the money because of over crowding and high prices of everything.

I will again recall my last visit in Nov. 2019, we were at F&W and it was so crowded we couldn’t get near a food booth to buy our $6 food sampling. In all the decades of going to EPCOT, I had never seen it so crowded (New Years Eve aside 😀) .

The article brings up both the good and the bad.

And we must all keep in mind the author felt it was safe enough for the whole family to go to WDW and seemingly had a good time, heck, the author got to go to WDW! A lot of folks can’t for a variety of reasons

The author just thought this WDW vacation was not worth the money that it cost. That’s all I got from the article.

The value of a WDW vacation is and will always be subjective.
This is exactly what I got from the story. Value is always a subjective thing. I don’t think it’s an issue that he was disappointed by the lesser experience even if most of it was done for safety. It’s possible to want things to be safe but also be disappointed with the end result. The cavalcades being a perfect example. I don’t think he was saying they should have kept full parades instead and ignored safety, he was just saying that the end result while safer was a disappointment to him. I can’t disagree on the smile thing either. Especially when your kids are little it’s really great to see their faces light up when they see a character or on a ride. Obviously masks take away from that a little. Having a teenager now I’ve learned to figure out when they are having a good time even without the obvious clues so it Was good practice for kids in masks.

I did read somewhere that at least in the beginning guest survey results were through the roof positive but I do wonder if a lot of that is just people who want to say only positive things to justify their decision to do something in a pandemic that many people oppose as either not safe or not worth it. I think it’s good to see balanced reviews like this story and things like @ParentsOf4 trip reports which highlight the positives but also point out the flaws.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
This is exactly what I got from the story. Value is always a subjective thing. I don’t think it’s an issue that he was disappointed by the lesser experience even if most of it was done for safety. It’s possible to want things to be safe but also be disappointed with the end result. The cavalcades being a perfect example. I don’t think he was saying they should have kept full parades instead and ignored safety, he was just saying that the end result while safer was a disappointment to him. I can’t disagree on the smile thing either. Especially when your kids are little it’s really great to see their faces light up when they see a character or on a ride. Obviously masks take away from that a little. Having a teenager now I’ve learned to figure out when they are having a good time even without the obvious clues so it Was good practice for kids in masks.

I did read somewhere that at least in the beginning guest survey results were through the roof positive but I do wonder if a lot of that is just people who want to say only positive things to justify their decision to do something in a pandemic that many people oppose as either not safe or not worth it. I think it’s good to see balanced reviews like this story and things like @ParentsOf4 trip reports which highlight the positives but also point out the flaws.
The experience is just a subjective as the value. While the author may prefer parades to cavalcades, others (such as myself), feel the opposite. I loved strolling through the parks and hearing music strike up out of nowhere and then see Tinkerbell whizzing by on a float or Gaston teasing the crowd all without me having to stake a curbside seat an hour before hand only to be shoved around by others who felt they could walk up last minute and push their way to the front.

I took my mother and niece to WDW a few months ago and Fla was on tighter restrictions than Ga (where we live) so it was a bit of an adjustment going back to a more restrictive environment and my Trip Report even reflected that I felt a few CMs were too extreme with their safety measures and authority granted to them and that several of my "must do" restaurants/bars were closed, but in the end, we were just happy that the parks were open and we could be together at WDW once again.

Did I think it was ridiculous that a CM at a shop would not let me exit out of the side I entered in, even though nobody was there or even anywhere near me? Yes. Did I think it was ridiculous that I could cross an imaginary line into a "relaxation station" and completely remove my mask, but if I were to step one foot over the imaginary line outside of the area, that I would be immediately reprimanded? Yes. Did any of these and many other rules that I felt were silly ruin our vacation and cause me to tell anybody they shouldn't visit? No. I have no right to visit and then tell others they shouldn't for reasons I personally don't like. That's what the author did, IMO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The experience is just a subjective as the value. While the author may prefer parades to cavalcades, others (such as myself), feel the opposite. I loved strolling through the parks and hearing music strike up out of nowhere and then see Tinkerbell whizzing by on a float or Gaston teasing the crowd all without me having to stake a curbside seat an hour before hand only to be shoved around by others who felt they could walk up last minute and push their way to the front.

I took my mother and niece to WDW a few months ago and Fla was on tighter restrictions than Ga (where we live) so it was a bit of an adjustment going back to a more restrictive environment and my Trip Report even reflected that I felt a few CMs were too extreme with their safety measures and authority granted to them and that several of my "must do" restaurants/bars were closed, but in the end, we were just happy that the parks were open and we could be together at WDW once again.

Did I think it was ridiculous that a CM at a shop would not let me exit out of the side I entered in, even though nobody was there or even anywhere near me? Yes. Did I think it was ridiculous that I could cross an imaginary line into a "relaxation station" and completely remove my mask, but if I were to step one foot over the imaginary line outside of the area, that I would be immediately reprimanded? Yes. Did any of these and many other rules that I felt were silly ruin our vacation and cause me to tell anybody they shouldn't visit? No. I have no right to visit and then tell others they shouldn't for reasons I personally don't like. That's what the author did, IMO.
That’s a bizarre way to look at things. Someone writing a story about their experience at WDW cannot say anything negative because they chose to go to WDW? So he had to either like everything and blow pixie dust out his rear end about it or say nothing? What’s wrong with honest feedback on what worked and didn’t work?

Nobody said you can’t like cavalcades better than parades, the author feels the opposite, not sure why you feel it’s ok for you to have an opinion but not him. I also don’t know why you feel you shouldn’t be able to talk about the things you perceived as negative. I have written plenty of negative reviews of things and never felt that way.

Chi84

Premium Member
Putting up with inconvenient things like masks and plexiglass dividers are perfectly acceptable when doing unpleasant things like being in an airport or on a plane, bus, or train.

But they're completely unacceptable when I'm at a Disney park.

Who knew?
Doesn’t that make sense though? Travel is inherently uncomfortable so a little more discomfort doesn’t register. Going to a theme park is supposed to be fun so restrictions would seem worse and have more of an impact on enjoyment.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Skittles y'all - wear a mask and stay home if you can

She says , "if I gave you a ton of skittles, like a lot, we're talking millions of skittles" . She said "millions", which is nowhere, absolutely nowhere near the billions of people on earth which is used as a metric in regards to survival rates.

She also neglects the scenario in which a person would choose eating the skittle with a 99% chance of survival versus not eating the skittle and they loose their home, business or job and their family is starving. Her scenario is skewed on an offensive level.

She should think about what she says before she says it.

DisneyCane

Just a quick note about "the numbers." My business partner's mom and dad went for a test at a Palm Beach County site on Wednesday where they did a rapid test. They were asymptomatic and doing it before having visitors from out of town.

Anyway, they get the results and his mom tested positive but his dad tested negative. She went the same day and got a sample taken for a non-rapid test. A state contact tracer called her (so apparently they are doing contact tracing) and told here that the test she had is the one where they see the most false positives but that she should assume being positive until she gets the new result. She got the second result today and it was negative.

However, her "case" doesn't get deleted from the numbers. I realize that there are false negatives also but I think too much stock is put in "the numbers," especially when it comes to asymptomatic cases. The sensitivity and specificity of the test used are not taken into account at all.

I'm not saying that some huge percentage of positive tests don't really have the virus but some percentage don't.

Des

She says , "if I gave you a ton of skittles, like a lot, we're talking millions of skittles" . She said "millions", which is nowhere, absolutely nowhere near the billions of people on earth which is used as a metric in regards to survival rates.

She also neglects the scenario in which a person would choose eating the skittle with a 99% chance of survival versus not eating the skittle and they loose their home, business or job and their family is starving. Her scenario is skewed on an offensive level.

She should think about what she says before she says it.
Agree. Condescending and uses skittles to prove a point -leaving out what you said. I agree, wear a mask and distance, but, comes off as a know it all huffy know nothing on tik Tok?

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyCane

Skittles y'all - wear a mask and stay home if you can

There was a post I made months ago using data from a life insurance company study that used social security data from several years before COVID existed.

It showed that without COVID, at least well into upper middle aged (I wasn't looking at elderly), the chances of a person dying of some random cause the course of the next year is significantly higher than the chance of catching SARS-CoV-2 and dying from it. The analogy is assuming that it effects people of all ages equally and it demonstrably does not. She is overplaying the virus while asking people not to downplay it.

There's a happy medium between the message she is sending and going to a packed nightclub.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just a quick note about "the numbers." My business partner's mom and dad went for a test at a Palm Beach County site on Wednesday where they did a rapid test. They were asymptomatic and doing it before having visitors from out of town.

Anyway, they get the results and his mom tested positive but his dad tested negative. She went the same day and got a sample taken for a non-rapid test. A state contact tracer called her (so apparently they are doing contact tracing) and told here that the test she had is the one where they see the most false positives but that she should assume being positive until she gets the new result. She got the second result today and it was negative.

However, her "case" doesn't get deleted from the numbers. I realize that there are false negatives also but I think too much stock is put in "the numbers," especially when it comes to asymptomatic cases. The sensitivity and specificity of the test used are not taken into account at all.

I'm not saying that some huge percentage of positive tests don't really have the virus but some percentage don't.

There is no point in quibbling over things that may push the numbers a few percent in either directions. Even if the numbers were inflated by 25 or 30 percent, they would still be bad.

DisneyCane

There is no point in quibbling over things that may push the numbers a few percent in either directions. Even if the numbers were inflated by 25 or 30 percent, they would still be bad.
If they were inflated by that much (which I don't think or have evidence that they are) it would make a huge difference as the California response would be completely unjustifiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom