News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Huh, I was under the impression that everyone knew that it was Vic Perrin. Was it really that hotly debated? Or - honest question because I'm not hugely involved in the community - is this some kind of joke that I'm missing?
I think @marni1971 would be best at answering that. Although for starters Marty Sklar’s book played a big role in the disbelief.
Originally it was understood to have been Perrin. Then Marty Sklar went on record saying Lawrence Dobkin. A while ago I had the company archive confirm it was Perrin and that Marty was mistaken. Recently someone said they were at a lecture by Sklar where he said Perrin. Then there was this recent tweet.

Dragonman

Originally it was understood to have been Perrin. Then Marty Sklar went on record saying Lawrence Dobkin. A while ago I had the company archive confirm it was Perrin and that Marty was mistaken. Recently someone said they were at a lecture by Sklar where he said Perrin. Then there was this recent tweet.

Thank you sir. Another thing I was curious about was whether the archives still have the original Perrin recordings or if they’ve been lost like several other original Epcot elements.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thank you sir. Another thing I was curious about was whether the archives still have the original Perrin recordings or if they’ve been lost like several other original Epcot elements.
That I don’t know. Although I’ve now managed to piece together a complete live recording of it. Quality is dubious in a few places but it’s now complete since the individual recordings in circulation have sections missing from when the audio system skipped. I currently intend to use it later this year.

muddyrivers

That I don’t know. Although I’ve now managed to piece together a complete live recording of it. Quality is dubious in a few places but it’s now complete since the individual recordings in circulation have sections missing from when the audio system skipped. I currently intend to use it later this year.

Wow, that's incredible. Time to mark my calendar for some unknown future date :D

SilentWindODoom

I've heard a lot of rather pointed comments about the contents of the redo, but haven't actually read any in depth information save for a focus on storytelling, the story light, and a piece of art of a Polynesian scene. What is the source on any further information that seems to have people hugely concerned?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've heard a lot of rather pointed comments about the contents of the redo, but haven't actually read any in depth information save for a focus on storytelling, the story light, and a piece of art of a Polynesian scene. What is the source on any further information that seems to have people hugely concerned?

That info was from Disney's presentation on the EPCOT refresh. One artist concept had a Moana-ish character on a Moana-ish boat following a Moana-granma-turned-spirit-stingray-ish thing leading her. The concern expressed by some is too much (or any) established Disney IP being put into the attraction.

SilentWindODoom

That info was from Disney's presentation on the EPCOT refresh. One artist concept had a Moana-ish character on a Moana-ish boat following a Moana-granma-turned-spirit-stingray-ish thing leading her. The concern expressed by some is too much (or any) established Disney IP being put into the attraction.

Is it all really extrapolation off of that? I'd thought someone has pointed out at one point the design differences pointing to this more being a reference than a straight up appearance. Also, I was hearing people talk about a loss of a lot of animatronics. That's one thing that made me start to wonder if there was another source of information. Is that just extrapolation based on animatronics being costly to work with?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Is it all really extrapolation off of that? I'd thought someone has pointed out at one point the design differences pointing to this more being a reference than a straight up appearance. Also, I was hearing people talk about a loss of a lot of animatronics. That's one thing that made me start to wonder if there was another source of information. Is that just extrapolation based on animatronics being costly to work with?

Extrapolation.

Not unwarranted even if never fulfilled.

Remember the mantra: "more timeless, more relevant, more family, and more Disney."

SilentWindODoom

Extrapolation.

Not unwarranted even if never fulfilled.

Remember the mantra: "more timeless, more relevant, more family, and more Disney."

I'm not sure if this equally is meant to apply to the extrapolation that they'll start cutting animatronics to save. If so, I worry that the Brazilian thread took a toll on your belief in magic.

(In search for a pic of the Polynesian scene, which was almost impossible, I saw discussion about the dropped AAs from the Egypt scene, which likely answers why people think they'll start dropping like flies. I'd argue the Pharoahs likely weren't likely known for telling stories and it makes sense.)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'm not sure if this equally is meant to apply to the extrapolation that they'll start cutting animatronics to save. If so, I worry that the Brazilian thread took a toll on your belief in magic.

(In search for a pic of the Polynesian scene, which was almost impossible, I saw discussion about the dropped AAs from the Egypt scene, which likely answers why people think they'll start dropping like flies. I'd argue the Pharaohs likely weren't likely known for telling stories and it makes sense.)

The presumption is that the dioramas will continue to be full of animatronics. Only the scenes will be plussed by projection mapped images.

Dragonman

If I had a guess at what happened to all the SSE animatronics/figures that were removed over the years it would be scrapped for parts, archived, or in storage.

If any could be added back I’d guess most likely the scaffolding Egyptian and the Greek theatre actors, as they both relate to storytelling (carving hieroglyphics, acting out a play)
5DE3C2FB-41DD-4321-9795-B4A358193559.png

0A0873FD-A8F1-4A66-9F1D-17DB80B12CE0.jpeg

They could possibly even repaint/retrofit the abandoned space station into some sort of sci-fi ship with the window girl animatronic at its controls
1554FA85-5C95-4A5E-BA1B-5EC8499CEDFF.png

ECEB7CD8-C3D3-45B0-A520-42082EB8FBE8.jpeg

(Note, classroom is no longer there and the room is now chock full of the bars for those endless blue lights)

Last edited:

Brer Panther

If I had a guess at what happened to all the SSE animatronics/figures that were removed over the years it would be scrapped for parts, archived, or in storage.

If any could be added back I’d guess most likely the scaffolding Egyptian and the Greek theatre actors, as they both relate to storytelling (carving hieroglyphics, acting out a play)View attachment 474776
View attachment 474777

They could possibly even repaint/retrofit the abandoned space station into some sort of sci-fi ship with the window girl animatronic at its controls
View attachment 474779
View attachment 474782
(Note, classroom is no longer there and the room is now chock full of the bars for those endless blue lights)
Well, they DID trash most of the Universe of Energy and Great Movie Ride animatronics, so I wouldn't put it past them to do the same to whatever animatronics they remove for the refurb...

Haymarket2008

If any could be added back I’d guess most likely the scaffolding Egyptian and the Greek theatre actors, as they both relate to storytelling (carving hieroglyphics, acting out a play)View attachment 474776
View attachment 474777

View attachment 474779
View attachment 474782

I have to say, I am thrilled at the prospect of the "Actor" possibly coming back. The scene definitely lost a bit of its luster when he was changed to a mathematician.

SilentWindODoom

Well, they DID trash most of the Universe of Energy and Great Movie Ride animatronics, so I wouldn't put it past them to do the same to whatever animatronics they remove for the refurb...

Does anyone know what happened to the World of Motion chickens with the loss of Goofy's Wiseacre Farms?

Do we have confirmation on the dinosaurs being trashed? I can see the copyrighted characters of the Great Movie Ride and Ellen being completely scrapped (it's not like there's a new animatronic ride to take them like Splash Mountain did), but the dinos? I was hoping they'd feature prominently in the new ride.

trainplane3

Does anyone know what happened to the World of Motion chickens with the loss of Goofy's Wiseacre Farms?

Do we have confirmation on the dinosaurs being trashed? I can see the copyrighted characters of the Great Movie Ride and Ellen being completely scrapped (it's not like there's a new animatronic ride to take them like Splash Mountain did), but the dinos? I was hoping they'd feature prominently in the new ride.
Some have stated that most were trashed due to the rubber skin falling apart when moved. The pterodactyls were saved and sent to DL as backups/replacements for the scene on the train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom