News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Movielover

Which begs the question what was the point of the refurb? Judi Dench, the ending, all appalling

1586595389289.png

DoleWhipDrea

Oh wow! I didn’t realize the astronaut with the satellite was so close to the track. I always thought it was much higher up from the photos and video I’d seen. That’s really cool. (I’ve gone through a lot of that SSE thread but not all of it.) I wish they would bring back more of the “space” part of Spaceship Earth.

I remember reading (I think Marni said it) that most of the AAs that were once part of the decent are still hanging out with their sets behind all those black curtains. I wonder how much Disney could save on the refurb if they used them...

trainplane3

Oh wow! I didn’t realize the astronaut with the satellite was so close to the track. I always thought it was much higher up from the photos and video I’d seen. That’s really cool. (I’ve gone through a lot of that SSE thread but not all of it.) I wish they would bring back more of the “space” part of Spaceship Earth.

I remember reading (I think Marni said it) that most of the AAs that were once part of the decent are still hanging out with their sets behind all those black curtains. I wonder how much Disney could save on the refurb if they used them...
During an evac last year, someone pulled (accidentally) on a curtain and you could see a few. I think @DreamfinderGuy posted it on Twitter.

At least that's what I thought happened.

Dragonman

Yeah, the other astronaut with the smaller satellite was hanging from the roof of the dome outside the space station room. I believe they were working on removing the 1994 descent figures due to there being a ladder in the pic.
C1AC6339-0A44-43BE-83BC-F40E825BB8FF.png

3A5C3511-0C94-4C76-B723-557EFE6F3918.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
that most of the AAs that were once part of the decent...
As an aside, they were mannequins, not AAs.

All this and more should be, and I think is, in the grand and miraculous thread that is spaceship in Spaceship Earth :)

DoleWhipDrea

All this and more should be, and I think is, in the grand and miraculous thread that is spaceship in Spaceship Earth :)

I appreciate the aside! I love learning all the details about EPCOT’s history. My first visit to WDW wasn’t until 2017, so I can only enjoy classic EPCOT vicariously through media and second hand recollections (and it’s admittedly sometimes a challenge distinguishing things when photo and video was taken on a dark ride in the 80s and 90s.)

I’m going to have to go back and continue reading through the thread ^_^

Dragonman

The thread too great to die, it is perfection in the purest form. It’s historical value will not be forgotten.

No Name

If the ride doesn’t adapt to be more engaging for current audiences, then it’s ultimately going to have the same fate as many other Epcot attractions.

I love Spaceship Earth. And I was excited for the changes, not because I think I’d necessarily like all of them personally, but because, as with past changes, it aims to extend the attaction’s life into the future and make it beloved by the next generation. And that’s a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom