Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

They did. And that's one of my biggest complaints about how this whole thing was handled...the lack of consistency in the messages sent to the public. Yes, they needed to make sure people weren't going to hoard N95 masks, but there's no reason they couldn't have sent the later message right from the beginning.
Maybe the first message was the correct one.

Kevin_W

Little bit of good news....

Good news indeed, if still pretty far off for a clinical treatment, since they are not initiating clinical trials until end of summer at best. But hopefully this is another tool that can eventually be put int he arsenal incase the virus resurges in the fall or future years.

natatomic

This is true, but what is the alternative. They have no choice but to allow people to drink. That’s a health and safety issue. Having carved out sections where eating and drinking is allowed was suggested but may not be practical everywhere. I am a bit surprised they don’t simply suggest people step off to the side comfortably away from foot traffic to remove the mask to eat or drink. They are probably relying on guests to actually figure that out on their own and most people want to follow the rules, but we’ve already seen people posting here about plans to walk around all day with no mask on holding a drink or food item as the excuse. Leaves the door open for potential bad behavior.

Oh, i agree. Their options are very limited, and I don’t blame them for anything they’re trying so far, including requiring masks but also allowing frequent removal for drinks and snacks. But I also don’t think for a second that the requirement is gonna be what prevents me from getting the virus, not if everyone is eating and drinking all around me. Plus, guests aren’t required to wear the masks in restaurants where everyone is spaced 6 feet apart, but they’re required to wear them outside where everyone is spaced 6 feet apart, which is kind of contradictory too. If you’re contagious outside a restaurant 6 feet apart, you’re contagious inside a restaurant 6 feet apart.
Again, I get why they have to have the regulations given everything going on. To make people feel safe and encourage people to come. But I think even Disney knows that these precautions are going to give only minimal protection, hence the disclaimer they released regarding the virus.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
??? I haven’t read any reports that claim amount of time exposed and being indoors doesn’t matter.

That’s why I think it’s so odd that restaurant dining rooms are opening up all across America.
There was a study conducted recently that literally drew out diagrams of particular restaurants and office spaces where they traced COVID back to. I'll have to find that article.

Edit: Found it

ImperfectPixie

Oh, i agree. Their options are very limited, and I don’t blame them for anything they’re trying so far, including requiring masks but also allowing frequent removal for drinks and snacks. But I also don’t think for a second that the requirement is gonna be what prevents me from getting the virus, not if everyone is eating and drinking all around me. Plus, guests aren’t required to wear the masks in restaurants where everyone is spaced 6 feet apart, but they’re required to wear them outside where everyone is spaced 6 feet apart, which is kind of contradictory too. If you’re contagious outside a restaurant 6 feet apart, you’re contagious inside a restaurant 6 feet apart.
Again, I get why they have to have the regulations given everything going on. To make people feel safe and encourage people to come. But I think even Disney knows that these precautions are going to give only minimal protection, hence the disclaimer they released regarding the virus.
There is zero way they can guarantee someone won't become infected. However, the face-covering and social distancing have been proven to be successful in dramatically reducing spread.

celluloid

They did. And that's one of my biggest complaints about how this whole thing was handled...the lack of consistency in the messages sent to the public. Yes, they needed to make sure people weren't going to hoard N95 masks, but there's no reason they couldn't have sent the later message right from the beginning.

The problem sometimes even experts have like the rest of us to me is, them saying at this time we do not know. Either they do not say it due to pressure or being edited out via media.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree. That’s why I said earlier that in theory if it’s ok to take the mask off in a restaurant because you are seated 6 feet apart it should be OK on a ride too. Same concept...you are seated and not going to interact with anyone else. I think the reason for masks In the parks in general is there’s no way to guarantee people stay 6 feet apart when moving around. When seated at a restaurant you aren’t moving. Not sure what happens when you need to use the restroom and walk within 6 feet of a table though. I guess you put the mask back on when walking in the restaurant just not when seated.

Or maybe it’s a novel virus and they didn’t realize the amount of airborne spread, at that time, from just breathing - as opposed to just sneezing and coughing.

But most of the science says cloth face masks can only, at best, prevent transfer of the virus spread through coughing and sneezing. The cloth face masks do nothing for the respiratory aerosols, which are all so tiny that they pass right through the cloth masks. That is why the CDC recommends staying six feet apart, even while wearing a cloth mask.

So that new info they have now has no bearing on the value of cloth masks.

TrojanUSC

But most of the science says cloth face masks can only, at best, prevent transfer of the virus spread through coughing and sneezing. The cloth face masks do nothing for the respiratory aerosols, which are all so tiny that they pass right through the cloth masks. That is why the CDC recommends staying six feet apart, even while wearing a cloth mask.

So that new info they have now has no bearing on the value of cloth masks.

That’s just not true. Some of the virus particles can get through the masks but it reduces the amount of spread. It’s about mitigation.

TrojanUSC

Just to clarify. Airborne has a different definition. Covid19 has yet to be classified as airborne.

Correct but it’s now well understood that the droplets are released through just breathing and can stay in the air for at least some period of time prior to falling or dissipating.

dolbyman

Of interest.

Was thinking about it a while back, all rides where unload and onload are in different areas (e.g. haunted mansion,buzz) could have a curtained off UV section to give each vehcle a short intense UV dose, not sure how effective and what effect it would have on surface materials used)

celluloid

Correct but it’s now well understood that the droplets are released through just breathing and can stay in the air for at least some period of time prior to falling or dissipating.

That is true, many strong viruses do that as we speak. If can spread through coughing or sneezing, the same mucus can be found in our throats so it can spread through heavy breathing or talking. This is why mucas is swabbed from nasal cavities or throat and not required lung samples. It is not not the same as a virus being airborne.

Last edited:

Hawg G

There was a study conducted recently that literally drew out diagrams of particular restaurants and office spaces where they traced COVID back to. I'll have to find that article.

Edit: Found it

How about this from the CDC TODAY! So tell me again how we know many FACTS about how this virus spreads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom