Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp85

According to this article, thermal scanners cannot reliably tell the difference in a temperature and other common causes.

"While the systems can sense elevated skin temperatures, they aren’t precise enough to tell whether someone has a fever or something else: The warmth of a person’s skin is often quite different from their core body heat. People with heavier builds, health conditions or hot flashes can trigger the system’s alarms; so, too, can anyone just walking in from a hot car or parking lot. "

GoofGoof

Premium Member
According to this article, thermal scanners cannot reliably tell the difference in a temperature and other common causes.

"While the systems can sense elevated skin temperatures, they aren’t precise enough to tell whether someone has a fever or something else: The warmth of a person’s skin is often quite different from their core body heat. People with heavier builds, health conditions or hot flashes can trigger the system’s alarms; so, too, can anyone just walking in from a hot car or parking lot. "

I worry about the accuracy of the scanner as a family that typically visits in the heat of August due to work schedules. I don’t mind the temperature check, but I wouldn’t want to be denied entry because it’s 105 degree real feel and my external body temp is high but I’m otherwise healthy.
I think that’s why they are doing the second check. If the initial scan flags anyone for being over 100.4 they won’t automatically be denied entry. Their party will be pulled aside where they will have a secondary check. There aren’t details about how that will work but I would assume they would be taken to an area to cool off then retested. The retest could possibly use a more accurate thermometer. If you still have a temp over 100.4 you have a fever and your party is denied entry. What happens next is unknown. At a minimum they would give you info on where to go for a covid test. They may offer to arrange transport to a test site.

From the Disney Springs Know before you go:
  • All members of your party will go through a temperature screening before entering Disney Springs. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will be rescreened. If the temperature is the same or higher, access to Disney Springs will be denied for the entire party. Disney recommends checking your temperature before you go as an extra precaution.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Miss Bella

I can't imagine having a fever and not knowing you have a fever. It's been a while since I've had one, but I do remember feeling like complete crap. When my kids run temps I couldn't get them out of bed much less to a theme park.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It was sad that the crew members on the ships that could not get of their cruise ships, Florida did not want them either to step foot on their soil and were stuck with no pay. When ships are registered under a foreign flag, it's almost like slave conditions. On a sad note 3 crew members from Carnival and Mariner of the Seas took their own lives in separate incidents while stuck on their ships for many weeks.

Its not "slave conditions", it's the conditions allowed by the country that the ship is flagged under. The cruise lines don't want USA regulation for employment, operations, and taxes so they boutique shop for one that fits their needs.

jmp85

I think that’s why they are doing the second check. If the initial scan flags anyone for being over 100.4 they won’t automatically be denied entry. Their party will be pulled aside where they will have a secondary check. There aren’t details about how that will work but I would assume they would be taken to an area to cool off then retested. The retest could possibly use a more accurate thermometer. If you still have a temp over 100.4 you have a fever and your party is denied entry. What happens next is unknown. At a minimum they would give you info on where to go for a covid test. They may offer to arrange transport to a test site.

From the Disney Springs Know before you go:
  • All members of your party will go through a temperature screening before entering Disney Springs. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will be rescreened. If the temperature is the same or higher, access to Disney Springs will be denied for the entire party. Disney recommends checking your temperature before you go as an extra precaution.

That would make sense with the second temperature screening, but I guess the question is -- how many false positives will the scanners ring up?

castlecake2.0

Just to clarify for DCL CMs, they only stopped getting paid if their contract ended and they didn’t have a way to get home. They were not forced to end their contract early. A large patriotism effort has been underway the last week or so trying to get as many crew home as possible from the ships and castaway cay. There was also a charter flight last week to get some crew back to Europe as well as the magic and fantasy taking crew to parts of Europe and South America to get them home. I was sent home from the dream in April, they ended my contract early with some compensation, now we wait for a call back.

castlecake2.0

Its not "slave conditions", it's the conditions allowed by the country that the ship is flagged under. The cruise lines don't want USA regulation for employment, operations, and taxes so they boutique shop for one that fits their needs.
Im addition to that We are also covered under international maritime law as well as a seafarers union. It’s a lot of work but it’s a lifestyle people choose.

yensid67

I did not read ALL 1217 posts...just wanted to give my opinion!

I have often wondered why other countries seem to be recovering, while the US is still scrambling to find some sort of relief? Is our government doing ALL it can? Was our government ready for the country-wide shut down? All signs point to NO! After 2 weeks of shut down, our government should have had in place protocol of what the next steps were for everyone. They should have known that if the country is shut down, people are going to loose their jobs and means of paying bills. Unemployment paychecks should have been coming at the beginning of week 3 of the shut down! $1200 payments were a drop in the bucket, but helped. Another CONTINUOUS MONTHLY CHECK should be in effect until this pandemic is under control or obliviated!
Now, to Disney...
I am always planning a trip to Disney World! I love Disney just as much as anyone else on here. But I am grateful that TDO are taking the steps they are taking to ensure everyone's safety and not just for a quick buck!
I personally feel that a Disney trip after this virus IS going to look a lot different that what our past trips were. I would not be hoping at the chance to go on a Disney Trip/Cruise for a few months AFTER the virus is contained. You can be assured that Disney is/will do everything possible to ensure guests, cast member safety while opening as soon as they can and as safely as possible! I WOULD GLADLY USE $1200 FOR A DISNEY TRIP! Until that day comes I will...

...wish upon a star!

BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER!

jaklgreen

Honestly, look at it this way. If every American was given a bowl of Skittles and was told 1 or 2 of them were laced with poison and would kill them, while ten of them had just enough poison that they'd live, but they'd be in the hospital for a week. How many would eat any?

People are right to be concerned about this, and companies are right to take this seriously.

You are talking to people who willingly smoke KNOWING what it can do to you. I don't think many people have much common sense about things. With covid, people see that their chances of getting it is low enough for them to make that choice.

Miss Bella

I've been on over 25 cruises and I've never met a crew member that wasn't happy to be there. Some of them make a career out of it. Others do a couple of contracts and move on to something else.

Rider

I so hope one of these pans out but the very very small sample size so far and way to little on the side effects with the upper doses. Let’s hope something comes out of it.

Yes we all want something to work but this is yet another company trying to pump their stock price with vague hopes.

In 45 patients this candidate produced binding antibodies. In only 8 did it produce neutralizing antibodies.

Neutralising antibodies are a subset of binding antibodies. Binding antibodies will generally bind to a surface protein on the virus, a neutralising antibody will bind to (and render non-functional) a functional protein (mainly the entry spike) and therefore prevent cell entry to begin with. For that reason they are also called sterilising antibodies. Neutralising antibodies can be sufficient to prevent infection, binding antibodies function differently by tagging the virus for attack by other immunological agents but can also be sufficient. If I had to choose one it would be the neutralising antibodies.

They've confirmed it has an effect on antibody production, which is the absolute lowest bar for a vaccine to be effective. There's a lot that hasn't been established, such as...

1. Do these antibodies confer immunity, or improved recovery from Covid-19?
2. If these antibodies do help, do they persist for long enough to be effective as a vaccine across the wider population?
3. Are there long term adverse effects from the vaccine, even if only in some patients?

It's important to remember that none of Moderna's vaccines, or ANY RNA vaccines, have ever made it through clinical trials. They've built a unicorn around the hope of RNA vaccines (If they can make RNA vaccines work then you can basically vaccinate anything) but that's all it is right now, a hope.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That would make sense with the second temperature screening, but I guess the question is -- how many false positives will the scanners ring up?
That’s something they should be able to judge based on Disney Springs. They have plenty of time to evaluate how the system works there. As we get into June it will get pretty much as hot as July and August so we should have a good indicator of whether that’s a huge problem before the parks are ready for a potential July/August open. There’s still plenty of time to adjust the plan. It’s also possible that if these types of scanners prove to be ineffective across multiple sites nationally that are planning on using them then Disney may scrap the idea prior to park open and go with something else. Scanners seem to be the preferred plan and recommendation but that could change. Remember 2 months ago we were told not to wear masks and that’s completely reversed now. There’s still time for a pivot in national best practices.

Hawg G

...except at Disney Springs

Phased Reopening of Disney Springs
A phased reopening of Disney Springs will begin on May 20.

Know Before You Go
As we begin to reopen Disney Springs with a number of shopping and dining locations beginning May 20, we are looking ahead to May 27 when we will begin to reopen more of our Disney owned shops and restaurants, including World of Disney, D-Luxe Burger (mobile order) and the Marketplace Co-Op. With that as our next milestone, we are eager to welcome back our Guests, some Cast Members and third-party Operating Participants with safety and well-being of all at the forefront of all our planning efforts.

As we navigate through this unprecedented time as responsibly as we can, we have implemented a number of new safety measures based on guidance from health authorities, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and appropriate government agencies. We, along with third-party Operating Participants, are all committed to a responsible reopening of Disney Springs.

For Cast Members, Operating Participant employees and Guests, there are 6 key things to know before arriving at Disney Springs, and they include:

• Limited parking and reduced entrances
  • Temperature screenings prior to entry
  • Face coverings required for Guests ages 3 and up
  • Physical distancing practices including physically-distanced queues and physical barriers
  • Temporary operation modifications, including reduced hours at select locations and no scheduled entertainment offerings or high-touch interactive areas
  • An increased focus on disinfecting and sanitation, including the addition of hand-washing stations and hand sanitizers in key areas
Since many of these measures will be new, and may evolve, we want to be sure Guests, Cast Members and Operating Participant employees are aware of all these changes.

I knew someone would do this, and am not surprised by it being you.

So, shall we play a game all day listing things that are said on the WDW site, but aren’t enforced?

I saw a report somewhere from Universal. A worker said only supervisors could ask someone to put on a mask, and that was the end of what they would do.

I’d LOVE to see a video on YouTube of a CM telling a parent if they don’t force their 3 year old to keep the mask on, they are going to be asked to leave the park. With the child bawling in the background.

Yup, that’s gonna happen.

So, I stand by my statement.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I knew someone would do this, and am not surprised by it being you.

So, shall we play a game all day listing things that are said on the WDW site, but aren’t enforced?

I saw a report somewhere from Universal. A worker said only supervisors could ask someone to put on a mask, and that was the end of what they would do.

I’d LOVE to see a video on YouTube of a CM telling a parent if they don’t force their 3 year old to keep the mask on, they are going to be asked to leave the park. With the child bawling in the background.

Yup, that’s gonna happen.

So, I stand by my statement.
The fact is Disney is requiring kids 3 and up to wear masks. That is the rule, whether they enforce it for kids or even adults is a whole different matter and yet to be seen. I don’t actually disagree that it’s a train wreck to have a CM force a kid or an adult to wear a mask. I’ve said similar things repeatedly throughout these threads. I think they have a tough situation. I personally feel they should consider waiting until national phase 3 to open the parks when “social distancing” is replaced with “limited physical distancing” and it’s likely that they could open with masks strongly recommended instead of required. That could still happen but it looks more likely they will start out earlier and have more requirements that can be loosened over time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Or we could be better people than that and follow the park guidelines instead of ignoring them because some others don't.
Or just sit it out until the rules change. I’m not planning to go back to WDW while they have a rule that requires masks. I understand why they will be doing it and I don’t in any way support people who will just go and ignore the rules. For anyone who wants to go during this phase, have fun and stay safe but please follow the rules and don’t make an already stressful situation for the poor workers who have to deal with it even worse.

Disstevefan1

The fact is Disney is requiring kids 3 and up to wear masks. That is the rule, whether they enforce it for kids or even adults is a whole different matter and yet to be seen. I don’t actually disagree that it’s a train wreck to have a CM force a kid or an adult to wear a mask. I’ve said similar things repeatedly throughout these threads. I think they have a tough situation. I personally feel they should consider waiting until national phase 3 to open the parks when “social distancing” is replaced with “limited physical distancing” and it’s likely that they could open with masks strongly recommended instead of required. That could still happen but it looks more likely they will start out earlier and have more requirements that can be loosened over time.
Maybe Disney having the mask rule for 3 and up is maybe to cover Disney from Liability? It’s a rule, therefore the responsibility shifts to the guest? I don’t know, but I think we all agree a three year old has no concept of COVID or what needs to be done, their parents can try to do their best, and the CMs are not empowered (and simply do not want fight with guests) to now enforce this mask rule along with all the other sh@t work they have to do in their overworked, underpaid jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom