Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMetroid567

Sadly, some believe that. Until there is a vaccine, they believe no one should return to life.

Can you find me the experts and government officials that are saying this, though? I don't think most reasonably expect we'll be locked up a year. The general consensus I've seen is "should be done by summer" but the risk for a second wave exists, we just would need to prepare for fall.
It's going to be hard not to be political but it comes down to this: In Communist China, you're locked down with the threat of being shot. In the United States, you have freedom. So you have to be more creative. "Safer at home", for example, in Florida.

Right, we kind of see the middle ground of this with the European response.

21stamps

As well as he should.

Agree to disagree.

People over 45 represent 41.6% of the US population. You're way past half the population if then include their dependents and care givers.

I’m not stuck on the age.. I responded to a comment, saying that something along those lines would need to happen.
Something will need to be arranged if these closures continue to get extended. The people who are high risk or too scared to work, stay home, take the government benefits. The rest can continue to try to keep this economy from sliding any deeper into a hole.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Can you find me the experts and government officials that are saying this, though? I don't think most reasonably expect we'll be locked up a year. The general consensus I've seen is "should be done by summer" but the risk for a second wave exists, we just would need to prepare for fall.

There are no experts or government officials saying that. That's conversations being had on this board or on Twitter, etc. People earnestly believe that and it's troubling.

Lilofan

You're prepared for the next 2-3 weeks and have set that in your mind, mentally. You've prepared yourself. What if May/June turns into July/August? What if the worst is in September? Are you mentally prepared to keep the lock downs going?

And I say this as someone who feels like we should've shuttered between mid-March through mid-May. This would've required these factoris and corporations to go into overdrive to get the necessary supplies out to hospitals and health care workers, to put tremendous focus on finding cures, solutions, and eventually a vaccine. This would've required the government to do everything in their power and then some to make people whole so they didn't have to stress/worry about it and could actually enjoy their forced time away to do the right thing. There are many who can continue to work (raises hand) from home. There are others who can't make a living if their business is shut. You've got to make everyone whole for the sacrifice they're making.
10 million Americans just the first 2 weeks applying for unemployment , don't know how many in the next 2 weeks , prediction by finance experts of possible 20-30% unemployment by summer, mentally prepared by some to be homeless?

John park hopper

Agree to disagree.

I’m not stuck on the age.. I responded to a comment saying that something along those lines would need to happen.
Something will need to be arranged if these closures continue to get extended. The people who are high risk or too scared to work, stay home, take the government benefits. The rest can continue to try to keep this economy from sliding any deeper into a hole.
The majority of people will recover and hopefully the scientific data will show some lasting immunity to reinfection, these will be the people going back to work and getting the economy rolling again

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What if May/June turns into July/August? What if the worst is in September? Are you mentally prepared to keep the lock downs going?

I have a number of posts about my feelings around this. I am not asking you to go back and read it or anything...only that I don't want to post about it again. I will only say that eventually, it will become unsustainable. But right now, I want us to get through the next few weeks. This is the first time that Fauci and Birx have given us a real timetable based on actual data they have been collecting.

DarkMetroid567

There are no experts or government officials saying that. That's conversations being had on this board or on Twitter, etc. People earnestly believe that and it's troubling.
It's moderately troubling, but I wouldn't say troubling enough to be in serious consideration. These folks are just scared because we realistically don't have an idea of how far out we are. But they won't be the ones making the government mandates ending the shut-downs, either.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
10 million Americans just the first 2 weeks applying for unemployment , don't know how many in the next 2 weeks , prediction by finance experts of possible 20-30% unemployment by summer, mentally prepared by some to be homeless?

That's the reality people are facing. Experts say it could be 47 million unemployed. There will come a day when the unemployment benefits run out. There will come a day when evictions have to happen because people just flat out have no other avenue to turn down and people will be out of their homes, with kids and loved ones, trying to figure out what to do next.

21stamps

I have a number of posts about my feelings around this. I am not asking you to go back and read it or anything...only that I don't want to post about it again. I will only say that eventually, it will become unsustainable. But right now, I want us to get through the next few weeks. This is the first time that Fauci and Birx have given us a real timetable based on actual data they have been collecting.

we’re all under state orders as of now. What is your state saying? How long are your “non-essential businesses” shuttered or severely modified?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

Fair enough. I agree with you. We need to get through the next few weeks.

It's moderately troubling, but I wouldn't say troubling enough to be in serious consideration. These folks are just scared because we realistically don't have an idea of how far out we are. But they won't be the ones making the government mandates ending the shut-downs, either.

Exactly. They're scared and afraid. That fear isn't going away tomorrow. And while they're in the minority, the question will end up being is how vocal they will be and who will fold to that pressure?

DisneyCane

Just yesterday or the day before (I can't remember which), Dr. Fauci specifically said that when we get to the tail of the curve the strategy would be to move to containment through testing and contact tracing. He also said that a "second wave" would be much different and that it wouldn't require the same action and that this was discussed and agreed on a WHO conference call.

The question is when we get to the tail of the curve. The projections that Dr. Birx referenced seemed to indicate sometime in May. However, I think those plots were deaths, not cases so the tail of new cases could be/will be sooner.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the point is technically, if we keep pushing out the 'peak' date for this, then when does it actually end? If the 'peak' date without social distancing was April, but now the 'peak' date with social distancing is late July (once again, these are all based off models), do we all stay home through July? What happens if the peak ends up in September or October?
I, along with the rest of the state of Ohio, was just told that our peak could be as early as April 15th or it could be May 15th.. or possibly later.
That’s longer than 2-3 weeks.
That is my question. I don’t even think the experts know the answer to it.

This is no surprise to anyone who looked at the projections. The peaks were clearly in mid-April. Even at the end of March, anyone could see it coming (I certainly did) and if they thought we'd be going to church on Easter, there were very... let's say... non-knowing-ful.

The peak hasn't moved. People's wrong suppositions are now faced with that reality.

And once we past the peak and are on the down slope.... it's just as bad on that side of the peak as it was on the preceding side. And so... no let up on the lockdown.

Why do y'all think WDW isn't taking reservations until Jun 1? They knew that even May was out of the question. Why do you think that even the President is now saying 'stay home' for all of April? He finally acknowledged the projections.

The real problem were all the authorities hedging their lockdowns week by week and constantly extending them. All one had to do was look at the other countries that got hit first and realize this was going to be a full two-month lockdown.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
we’re all under state orders as of now. What is your state saying? How long are your “non-essential businesses” shuttered or severely modified?

I am not under a state order, but I am under a city/county order to shelter in place until April 7th. However, I believe they are going to be voting to extend that out from what I am hearing...

21stamps

This is no surprise to anyone who looked at the projections. The peaks were clearly in mid-April. Even at the end of March, anyone could see it coming (I certainly did) and if they thought we'd be going to church on Easter, there were very... let's say... non-knowing-ful.

The peak hasn't moved. People's wrong suppositions are now faced with that reality.

And once we past the peak and are on the down slope.... it's just as bad on that side of the peak as it was on the preceding side. And so... no let up on the lockdown.

Why do y'all think WDW isn't taking reservations until Jun 1? They knew that even May was out of the question. Why do you think that even the President is now saying 'stay home' for all of April? He finally acknowledged the projections.

The real problem were all the authorities hedging their lockdowns week by week and constantly extending them. All one had to do was look at the other countries that got hit first and realize this was going to be a full two-month lockdown.

Everything you just wrote is exactly the opposite of what Dr. Acton is saying on my tv as we speak.

We, in Ohio, have been flattening the curve, we pushed off our peak which is giving hospitals more time to prepare., and now, this new round of “..til May 1st” might still not be enough time, according to her.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

Each state has their own “peak”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom