Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Hendy

The theory you’re discussing doesn’t fall into the category of the known or factual. It is nothing more than speculation, and I don’t see what it offers us ...
From Reuters:
Two Chinese tourists from Wuhan tested positive in Rome in late January, while an Italian who returned home on a special flight repatriating some 56 nationals from the same city was hospitalized a week later.
link

It would be helpful to know more about the "special flight" from Wuhan to Italy. Other than patient #3, who were the other 55 people, were they ever tested for Corona, and were they quarantined? Where in Italy did the flight land? If the passengers and crew weren't quarantined, where in Italy did they travel after landing?

Furthermore, Italy only imposed a travel ban from China after those 3 patients were detected. How many regularly scheduled flights of non-Italian citizens from Wuhan to Italy flew between late January and the travel ban? Were any of the passengers tested or quarantined?

The question is relevant because if as some predict the virus returns in waves periodically, the method of response has to be fine tuned based on the facts surrounding previous outbreaks. If insufficient facts are released then it will be difficult to improve the response.

phillip9698

It won’t be simple, but it needs to happen, no matter on what scale. That conversation was already taking place long before we ever heard of ‘coronavirus’.

Those jobs and industries arent coming back here, they may leave China but they arent coming to the US. US companies pay domestic workers more in benefits alone than what they pay overseas labor.

At the end of the day we are talking about publicly traded companies who must answer to shareholders. The moment a company says "We are going to shift porduction back to the US, sure we will lose a lot of profitability but the country is in a better position in case of a tragedy" that stock tanks and the CEO is ousted.

21stamps

From Reuters:
link

It would be helpful to know more about the "special flight" from Wuhan to Italy. Other than patient #3, who were the other 55 people, were they ever tested for Corona, and were they quarantined? Where in Italy did the flight land? If the passengers and crew weren't quarantined, where in Italy did they travel after landing?

Furthermore, Italy only imposed a travel ban from China after those 3 patients were detected. How many regularly scheduled flights of non-Italian citizens from Wuhan to Italy flew between late January and the travel ban? Were any of the passengers tested or quarantined?

The question is relevant because if as some predict the virus returns in waves periodically, the method of response has to be fine tuned based on the facts surrounding previous outbreaks. If insufficient facts are released then it will be difficult to improve the response.

The Iran outbreak was largely tied to incoming flights from China. The USA restricted flights prior to that time.. not every country did the same.

Patcheslee

Why would they not be able to find other jobs? At that wage level, I would hope they have some kind of skill set that would make them marketable even in a recessionary period. Recessions actually hit the low class way harder than the upper middle class ($100K+ as an individual income is upper middle, come on, less than 10% of W-2 workers make that individually). I saw some graphics showing how the bottom 20% had not recovered at all since the 2008 recession.
"Over qualified" is a term used quite often by employers. And with available candidates being higher that in turn would have an employer want to look at do they want someone temporary that will leave when a better jobs comes along or higher the less qualified.

Phil12

What are y'all have been doing this past week? Are you doing anything productive at home? Do you guys just watch the news constantly?

Since gyms are closed, I have been working out more at home so I can eat more without the guilt of gaining weight.
I've used the time to plant a garden:
1584816711536.png

EricsBiscuit

It is and I feel it (I'm that family of 5 making $100K). The funny part is I feel the financial stress less now with paying off debt and being able to put some money away, but I've only been at that level for six months. Before that? Massive stress and right now, I would be freaking out because we were just making what we needed.

That's why I'm a proponent of UBI (my wife is a SAHM) and am hoping the government does the right thing here ($2K/$1K per month for the next six months). In our case, that allows us to build up our savings and buy a house next year in addition to doing vacations, eating out, etc. which will help the economy rebound. For others, it allows them to just survive for a while until we're on the other side of this and businesses are back up and running.

Long term, we need to have UBI in this country because unemployment benefits are meager to begin with and if you're working a job that does exceed a certain amount, you're getting a pittance of what you were making before with almost a guaranteed 6-12 weeks before you can start the next job. I hope we start really looking at our country and trying to figure out a better balance that prioritizes a social net and people over wars and corporate profits. I hope this is the wake up call our country needed.
UBI is an awful idea. The only reason I support the stimulus packages now is because this is an anomaly. UBI, under normal circumstances, would create massive inflation and would not stimulate any economic growth. Basic economics tells you that the economy cannot grow from stimulating demand.

flynnibus

Premium Member
At the end of the day we are talking about publicly traded companies who must answer to shareholders. The moment a company says "We are going to shift porduction back to the US, sure we will lose a lot of profitability but the country is in a better position in case of a tragedy" that stock tanks and the CEO is ousted.

You're talking about industry without intervention.

Industries that are regulated to be domestic... will be. You'll likely see a shift in regulation in this regard when you start making more things a subject of 'national security'

celluloid

We are living out a massive philosophical debate at this time, one that used to be only thought about in philosophy class.
It sadly happens daily in big companies with recall situations. There are.plenty of times where big auto manufacturer's or baby products will weigh the recall cost of being 20 to 100 million to replace a d properly install parts vs take the next wrongful death suits and settlements knowing the millions paid to those families with lost loved ones will still be millions less. Those to me are worse because there is a clear intent of injustice more than wanting to live the healthiest one personally can and presume inherent risk.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Absolutely, they will get sick, 80% will not require hospitalization, and they will recover in a couple of weeks. That would not shut down the US economy. We are focusing on the elderly as that is the bulk of the serious/critical/fatalities. Governments are not shutting down states because they are concerned young people are going to have to stay home for a week with a cough. They are doing it to stop the spread so it won't impact the most impacted, which is the elderly and people with existing conditions.

Let's play out a scenario (warning to those easily triggered by hypothetical scenarios), imagine this disease impacted only young people, they got it in masses, they all just got a fever and cough for a week, and then were fine. Would the entire economy be shut down and would we be trapped in our homes to stop it? Of course not.
This is not just a fever and cough, even in the “mild“ cases. It is hitting more people harder and longer. The high risks groups have a higher risk of being seriously ill, but they are not a majority of those getting ill, much less the overwhelming majority you keep trying to claim.

Demand for flights to China took a hit well before any official actions. The run on toilet paper began before the official actions. The same pattern would repeat as other places and venues were hit.

UNCgolf

You're talking about industry without intervention.

Industries that are regulated to be domestic... will be. You'll likely see a shift in regulation in this regard when you start making more things a subject of 'national security'

It's certainly possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think there's very little chance anything like this actually happens outside of maybe one or two specific industries.

durangojim

My wife and I got back about an hour ago from being tested. We went through a drive through testing sight. Took about 2.5 hours. My wife has symptoms and I do not. I’m a healthcare worker with a chronic medical condition. We have to wait 72 hours to get our results. The criteria they are using are:
Known contact with a covid 19 positive patient
History of travel
Age 65 or older
Symptoms you’ve read about
Health care worker.
We’re in Michigan

Also, this may be self serving, but if you usually see your primary care doctor, enquire
If they are doing telemedicine visits. Insurance companies are paying for the services and may help your doctor to stay in business.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My wife and I got back about an hour ago from being tested. We went through a drive through testing sight. Took about 2.5 hours. My wife has symptoms and I do not. I’m a healthcare worker with a chronic medical condition. We have to wait 72 hours to get our results. The criteria are using are:
History of travel
Age 65 or older
Health care worker.
We’re in Michigan

Be Safe. Prayers for you and your wife.

JoeCamel

My wife and I got back about an hour ago from being tested. We went through a drive through testing sight. Took about 2.5 hours. My wife has symptoms and I do not. I’m a healthcare worker with a chronic medical condition. We have to wait 72 hours to get our results. The criteria are using are:
History of travel
Age 65 or older
Health care worker.
We’re in Michigan

Also, this may be self serving, but if you usually see your primary care doctor, enquire
If they are doing telemedicine visits. Insurance companies are paying for the services and may help your doctor to stay in business.

May you both have the best outcome

21stamps

My wife and I got back about an hour ago from being tested. We went through a drive through testing sight. Took about 2.5 hours. My wife has symptoms and I do not. I’m a healthcare worker with a chronic medical condition. We have to wait 72 hours to get our results. The criteria they are using are:
History of travel
Age 65 or older
Health care worker.
We’re in Michigan

Thank you for sharing. I hope for the best for you and your wife.

LittleBuford

From Reuters:
link

I already mentioned the three cases discussed in the Reuters link you provided. All I’m saying (and this really will be my last time saying it) is that we should base our analysis on facts. The hypothesis you mentioned is doing the rounds in a number of outlets that are irresponsibly presenting it as something that actually happened. It’s a narrative that suddenly popped up in the last week or so, apparently because people need an easy answer to the question of “Why Italy?” As with all aspects of this crisis, I’m always going to favour expert perspectives over simplistic and unsubstantiated explanations cooked up by armchair commentators lacking access to the relevant data and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom