News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

aladdin2007

I can totally see where you would find the concept art misleading. I know that area (onstage and backstage) pretty well. So, I think I had a good reference point. But it could imply more and still be accurate. Especially if you generally compare it to the WDSP area. Not saying that's a good comparison, but I think people would do that naturally to some extent.

Now back to making my @realBobChapek voo doo doll...

that cracked me up, I would love one as well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Now there's an unbiased source.

Put me in camp D-

Well, industry insiders have usually insisted we use WDI designation (for the more recent rides... older rides have a history of actual tickets showing what class of ride they were... which sometimes changed).

A wildly popular C Ticket that always has long lines doesn't make it an E Ticket.

And conversely, an E Ticket that isn't popular doesn't make it a C Ticket.

yensidtlaw1969

Put me in camp D-
Indeed - the scale is there, but I didn't feel like any of the show elements congealed to achieve an experience that lives up to its size. Everything feels at least a little half baked, like they had the right idea but didn't commit to seeing the production through in a way that makes for a well-integrated, seamless experience. There are a few too many instances where it feels like the guests are asked to make allowances for poor showmanship that WDI should have accounted for.

I'd probably give it a D+ just for sheer ambition of scale, but there's definitely something rough-draft-y about it.

Building a more meaningful motion base into the ride vehicles, and removing the "floor problem" should have been priorities for the Epcot clone. I think that could have stepped the ride up into actual Immersive E-Ticket territory. And is it really too much to ask for AN Animatronic? Even just one of Remy at the end?

A Noble Fish

I would call it a mediocre D ticket.
In this environment it’s a high D.
I would agree. I enjoyed it in WDSP. But, it's a D-Ticket.

I will also say, the more I look at the flats. They could work. It's more that it feels like they are missing a layer. So, it makes the flats feel very (actually) flat and 2D. If they added another layer of facades, it would add a ton to this.

Put me in camp D-
Indeed - the scale is there, but I didn't feel like any of the show elements congealed to achieve an experience that lives up to its size. Everything feels at least a little half baked, like they had the right idea but didn't commit to seeing the production through in a way that makes for a well-integrated, seamless experience. There are a few too many instances where it feels like the guests are asked to make allowances for poor showmanship that WDI should have accounted for.

I'd probably give it a D+ just for sheer ambition of scale, but there's definitely something rough-draft-y about it.

Building a more meaningful motion base into the ride vehicles, and removing the "floor problem" should have been priorities for the Epcot clone. I think that could have stepped the ride up into actual Immersive E-Ticket territory. And is it really too much to ask for AN Animatronic? Even just one of Remy at the end?
It's an E-ticket. You guys are seriously short selling the first new E-ticket at the park in 15 years...

Rise and Shanghai Pirates are in a different league, and it's not fair to compare anything to them unless they are going for a scale of similar caliber. It's a solid E, but it has its share of legitimate grievances that its LPS peers don't, but calling it a D isn't exactly fair. E-? The scale is there, it's just not as well-executed as say Hunny Hunt over in Tokyo.

I'm personally excited!

yensidtlaw1969

It's an E-ticket. You guys are seriously short selling the first new E-ticket at the park in 15 years...

Rise and Shanghai Pirates are in a different league, and it's not fair to compare anything to them unless they are going for a scale of similar caliber. It's a solid E, but it has its share of legitimate grievances that its LPS peers don't, but calling it a D isn't exactly fair. E-? The scale is there, it's just not as well-executed as say Hunny Hunt over in Tokyo.

I'm personally excited!
Who said anything about Rise, or Pirates, or Hunny Hunt? I don't compare it to them - in my mind, Ratatouille doesn't compare favorably to Pirates, Mansion, Small World . . . institutional E-Tickets, 50+ year old attractions that don't have the poor sightlines, pacing issues, and synchronization problems of a $270 Million Dollar attraction from 2014. It's cute, but follow through isn't there.

It doesn't "wow" on the level that it's meant to because it isn't up to the standard of immersion they intended. The ride ends up being more presentational than they were going for because of the glaring problems that keep you from "buying it". Very few things on the ride convince you that what you're seeing is "actually happening". For that much money, that bar should have been cleared.

The concept is there but the execution is very flawed.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Whatever letter people want to give this, I imagine most are really going to enjoy it but not exactly blown away like a rise. And I think that’s fine. Not everything is going to be on that level. It is a solid attraction that would be popular in any park.
I’ve constantly said it’ll be a good - possibly the most suitable - addition to the park.

Yensids figure above may be a little high but it’s a solid addition - the key word is addition - that offers something new in a sympathetic setting for both the I Drive tourist and the purist alike.

yensidtlaw1969

I’ve constantly said it’ll be a good - possibly the most suitable - addition to the park.

Yensids figure above may be a little high but it’s a solid addition - the key word is addition - that offers something new in a sympathetic setting for both the I Drive tourist and the purist alike.
My figure was from "The Google", so I'd believe you sooner than the wild west of the internet. It also was in reference to Paris' attraction - I'm not sure how the money relates to what's happening in Florida. Do you have insight as to what each version of the attraction cost?

I'm glad for a genuine addition to the park. I just remember my impression upon riding in Paris last year was that it was the most lazily-produced ambitiously-scaled attraction I'd ever seen Disney do. Which is just such a weird juxtaposition. I won't tell anyone it won't be fun - the word about town in Paris was that it was THE ride, so clearly it has its popularity - but to me it wasn't even in the Top 5 in the Resort. For satisfying experiences, I'd put Pirates, Phantom Manor, Small World, Big Thunder, and Space Mountain all ahead of it for sure (though that last one does things for my skull by which I can't fully abide), and those attractions all have 20 years on Ratatouille.

I love the movie, I wanted to love the ride, but nearly every scene had a moment where I asked "they think they're getting away with this?" It just felt like they didn't commit to their own concept, and as a result I always felt like I was doing exactly what I was doing. There's rarely any illusion that the screens are more than a screen, and barely any meaningful relationship of the ride vehicle's movement to the video content. Those elements should corroborate each other to achieve the effect that we're moving, even when we're frequently not.

The best bits are the ballet in the load and the scene in the refrigerator because they're fully realized, integrate their elements well, and build an atmosphere. That rooftop entry into the ride is downright romantic . . . and then you're parked in front of a screen that tells you you're falling with no physical sensation to make you feel like it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My figure was from "The Google", so I'd believe you sooner than the wild west of the internet. It also was in reference to Paris' attraction - I'm not sure how the money relates to what's happening in Florida. Do you have insight as to what each version of the attraction cost?

I'm glad for a genuine addition to the park. I just remember my impression upon riding in Paris last year was that it was the most lazily-produced ambitiously-scaled attraction I'd ever seen Disney do. Which is just such a weird juxtaposition. I won't tell anyone it won't be fun - the word about town in Paris was that it was THE ride, so clearly it has its popularity - but to me it wasn't even in the Top 5 in the Resort. For satisfying experiences, I'd put Pirates, Phantom Manor, Small World, Big Thunder, and Space Mountain all ahead of it for sure (though that last one does things for my skull by which I can't fully abide), and those attractions all have 20 years on Ratatouille.

I love the movie, I wanted to love the ride, but nearly every scene had a moment where I asked "they think they're getting away with this?" It just felt like they didn't commit to their own concept, and as a result I always felt like I was doing exactly what I was doing. There's rarely any illusion that the screens are more than a screen, and barely any meaningful relationship of the ride vehicle's movement to the video content. Those elements should corroborate each other to achieve the effect that we're moving, even when we're frequently not.

The best bits are the ballet in the load and the scene in the refrigerator because they're fully realized, integrate their elements well, and build an atmosphere. That rooftop entry into the ride is downright romantic . . . and then you're parked in front of a screen that tells you you're falling with no physical sensation to make you feel like it.
For once I was quite impressed with the ride compared to some others it seems! 😆

This one - including the area work - is coming in a good 10% less than the original, although I’ll have to check the Paris figure too. Perhaps concrete costs less than steel.

Josh Hendy

... nearly every scene had a moment where I asked "they think they're getting away with this?" . . . and then you're parked in front of a screen that tells you you're falling with no physical sensation to make you feel like it.
How would you rate the ride quality and experience compared to say, Escape from Gringotts? Regarding technical quality (special effects), movement, believability, thoroughness of detail, AAs, integration of screens, fluidness of progression between scenes, and so on.

yensidtlaw1969

How would you rate the ride quality and experience compared to say, Escape from Gringotts? Regarding technical quality (special effects), movement, believability, thoroughness of detail, AAs, integration of screens, fluidness of progression between scenes, and so on.
Gringotts ain't perfect, but it's for sure better than Ratatouille.

On a scale of 1-10, and speaking very broadly to cover all the elements you're asking about, if Gringotts hits between a 6 or 7, then Ratatouille is between a 4 and 5. It just doesn't deliver on the kind of experience it's trying to give you. Not the way Disney has proven themselves capable of historically - and I don't even mean against a height-of-heights ride like Rise of the Resistance.

Or were you looking for a rating for each category?

Animaniac93-98

Gringotts ain't perfect, but it's for sure better than Ratatouille.

On a scale of 1-10, and speaking very broadly to cover all the elements you're asking about, if Gringotts hits between a 6 or 7, then Ratatouille is between a 4 and 5.

I have the reverse opinions of these two rides. Gringotts was underwhelming to me, but I thought Ratatouille was OK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom