Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Mike S

Sweet! that means I can post endlessly in all threads about how I feel about a particular movie without consequence! Morphinominal! ;)

I think the difference in this case is I still liked the movie. :)
More power to you. I was really excited for this trilogy but then it just became a complete wash.

Mike S

You don't post like it was a wash. You seem irreparably harmed and constantly tormented. Why else would someone post at every possible opportunity day in, day out to vent your displeasure and call for people to lose their jobs?
A wash as in bad. And yes I do feel very bad about what happened with this trilogy because I like Star Wars very much and that’s why I’m in these threads discussing it. Do you have a problem with that?

Don’t worry though as I’m heading out on a cruise tomorrow and will be posting much less frequently over the next week if I really bother you so much.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

$175 million opening. That's below everyone's expectations, except Disney. Thursday previews + Friday was over 50% of the opening weekend, the first time for a Disney Star Wars release.

$373.5 million global (domestic + foreign) from 98% of the international market.

Animaniac93-98

This is Disney's Justice League. A movie where they spent an abnormally high amount on reshoots to "fix" the movie and make it appealing to everyone, not just Snyder, er original trilogy fans, and it looks like they didn't do it.

MerlinTheGoat

Saw it. Kind of turned out more or less as I figured.

It's a huge mess. It's probably the most nonsensical of the entire canon Star Wars franchise. It adds more crap to the already huge pile of nonsensical BS 7 and 8 started, and continues the sequel trilogy's habit of breaking the logical foundation of the entire franchise. A bunch of important questions also remain completely unanswered. I'm not sure if it's a case of the writers not knowing the answers themselves, or intentionally leaving the answers out because they thought they'd sound too stupid. Either scenario seems plausible.

I do admit to liking this movie quite a bit more than Last Jedi. That's not saying much to be clear, I was bored to tears and outright hated at least 95% of Ep8. Ep 9 at least entertained me occasionally. It's still not a "good" movie though. Stripped down to its very core, the basic premise is bad and stupid. And it still isn't even as entertaining as the prequels.

Mike S

$175 million opening. That's below everyone's expectations, except Disney. Thursday previews + Friday was over 50% of the opening weekend, the first time for a Disney Star Wars release.

$373.5 million global (domestic + foreign) from 98% of the international market.
Remember though, The Last Jedi did absolutely no damage. Only a small amount of mysogynist trolls and Russian bots didn’t like it 😉

sedati

Finally saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe my expectations were low due to absorbing so many years of non-stop complaining, but I really did like it. It was a bit weird to sit through something constantly wondering, when is it going to get bad? Sure I have some quibbles, and it'll take more viewings to decide on the smaller details, but overall, yes, this is a Star War.

I don't expect to be fully served by entertainment made for the masses. As an artist and tradesman, I can say there's plenty of things I had full control over that I didn't fell happy with.

This is not the sequel trilogy I had imagined, but seeing it for what they tried to do, I appreciate the effort and genuinely love the themes, messages, and character work they did here. Season Five of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite television ever, and this hit a lot of the same notes.

Full house. I didn't see one person get up to use the bathroom (though I was about 1/3 from the front.) Chatter on the way out was mostly positive except...

One troll was present and accounted for. He was in our row. He made his presence known during the previews where they showed a trailer for a Doctor Who theater event for the new season. "That's not Doctor Who!" Wonder why? There were derisive mumbilngs throughout the film, and as the credits rolled he proclaimed that "REY was B***S***!" Children were present, but I guess it's important everyone know when someone is unhappy. I wish I was obnoxious enough to shout my closing thought which was "Daisy Ridley is the find of the century and I wish her a long and happy career."

That's my rambling quick take. Can't wait to see it again on an even bigger screen.

Rich Brownn

Remember though, The Last Jedi did absolutely no damage. Only a small amount of mysogynist trolls and Russian bots didn’t like it 😉
We'll never know if it was TLJ or the low review score that nailed it. There was a big drop-off from day one, probably from word of mouth. Still, its only disappointing in terms of Star Wars (most companied would be thrilled to have the 3rd biggest December opening).

Could be worse. Could be "Cats" LOL

Tony the Tigger

I enjoyed it. "Fan" of Star Wars is an understatement, from day one.

I have no use for wannabe armchair critics. I'm not a movie critic, I'm not trained in script writing. I have the uncanny (read: normal, common) ability to watch a movie, see some small part that is silly or out of place, and continue watching the movie without making notes about that one stupid thing or let it ruin the experience. In this movie, I remember somebody said some line that was so corny, I laughed. It wasn't meant to be funny. But to my own point, I don't remember who it was or what they said. It's unimportant. I enjoyed the film as a whole. I appreciate that they figured out how to retroactively tie the series together with the Palpatine thread, making the whole series more cohesive, the prequels (which I still don't much care for, watched them again on the marathon the other day) more relevant, etc.

I don't like that they felt they needed to wrap up the Skywalker storyline. What's the point - to start the "pure Disney" version of Star Wars films? That means the next movies will be like Fantastic Beasts - adjacent to the things you really love, but not fulfilling in the same way.

I had no problem with Luke in TLJ. That's life. People still complaining about a PC conspiracy sound needlessly bitter.

As much as I didn't want it to end, it's a good ending. And I finally started caring about the three newbies, who never really got good character development along the way, which is what I think was missing from VII and VIII. (And yes, Snoke was a joke.)

ETA: viewing number 2 scheduled for "$5 Tuesday" at AMC.

erasure fan1

I don't like that they felt they needed to wrap up the Skywalker storyline. What's the point - to start the "pure Disney" version of Star Wars films? That means the next movies will be like Fantastic Beasts - adjacent to the things you really love, but not fulfilling in the same way.
Agreed. For one, we all know it isn't the end. And Iger has said recently they haven't ruled out more movies in that era. So I think they were really trying to create buzz to get people in the seats. "Oh man the saga is ending? I've gotta see how this ends up!!!!" They tried to make it an event like endgame. Unfortunately they didn't really earn that.

One of the problems with fantastic beasts is it is still too close in time to the main saga in my opinion. I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but that is why I think you need to make a big time jump forward or preferably back. That way you are not really tied to anything that has come before. And a big jump would be 5, 6 hundred or more years.

LSLS

We'll never know if it was TLJ or the low review score that nailed it. There was a big drop-off from day one, probably from word of mouth. Still, its only disappointing in terms of Star Wars (most companied would be thrilled to have the 3rd biggest December opening).

Could be worse. Could be "Cats" LOL

Problem is you add that with GE opening well below expectations and Solo being a total bomb, it's tough to argue there wasn't some damage. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but I do think it's been a bigger factor than many thought it was.

Tony the Tigger

Problem is you add that with GE opening well below expectations and Solo being a total bomb, it's tough to argue there wasn't some damage. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but I do think it's been a bigger factor than many thought it was.

but then the reason is the fans are nuts, so a downturn is acceptable.

Cosmic Commando

"Another big day for Disney’s Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker with a Dec. 26 estimated gross of $30.7M, -4% from Christmas Day. Industry sources are forecasting that through the ninth-quel’s first ten days by Sunday, the J.J. Abrams directed movie will hit $380.9M, pacing 3% ahead of Last Jedi at the same point in time. Pretty impressive for a pic we dinged for having a slow start. Skywalker‘s Dec. 26 bests that of Last Jedi‘s ($27.7M) and is just under Rogue One‘s $32M, which was on the Monday after a Christmas Sunday."
https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-w...ise-post-christmas-box-office-1202817539/amp/

Seems like it might be catching up to TLJ after a bit of a slower start. It will be interesting to see who wins the horse race between the two.

Disneyfanman

I had to cancel my seats earlier this week. Interestingly enough, every single person that I know who has seen it has liked it, but not loved it, and puts it in the "yeah I'm glad I went but won't watch it again" camp. Everyone, and they have almost used the same words to describe it. I get stuff like, "It had some really great moments", and "Lots of stuff happened and it never slowed down". My really big Star Wars fans seemed to like it the least and my novice Star Wars fans liked it a little more. Nobody hated it and nobody loved it. Just no passion from anybody and even the prequels generated love it or hate it responses. This one......sort of just meh. I am going to try and see it this weekend and decide for myself.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Another big day for Disney’s Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker with a Dec. 26 estimated gross of $30.7M, -4% from Christmas Day. Industry sources are forecasting that through the ninth-quel’s first ten days by Sunday, the J.J. Abrams directed movie will hit $380.9M, pacing 3% ahead of Last Jedi at the same point in time. Pretty impressive for a pic we dinged for having a slow start. Skywalker‘s Dec. 26 bests that of Last Jedi‘s ($27.7M) and is just under Rogue One‘s $32M, which was on the Monday after a Christmas Sunday."
https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-w...ise-post-christmas-box-office-1202817539/amp/

Seems like it might be catching up to TLJ after a bit of a slower start. It will be interesting to see who wins the horse race between the two.
It’s had a good week...

Anything less than above $1.5 would be disappointing...to the logical mind.

Payoffs should be higher

Tony the Tigger

I had to cancel my seats earlier this week. Interestingly enough, every single person that I know who has seen it has liked it, but not loved it, and puts it in the "yeah I'm glad I went but won't watch it again" camp. Everyone, and they have almost used the same words to describe it. I get stuff like, "It had some really great moments", and "Lots of stuff happened and it never slowed down". My really big Star Wars fans seemed to like it the least and my novice Star Wars fans liked it a little more. Nobody hated it and nobody loved it. Just no passion from anybody and even the prequels generated love it or hate it responses. This one......sort of just meh. I am going to try and see it this weekend and decide for myself.

from a really big fan: I loved it. I’ve seen it twice already and will at least once more.

Everyone I know who has seen it has been very enthusiastic about it, and ridicule the random internet opinions that carry no weight with us.

Animaniac93-98

The bar has been set by Last Jedi. This movie has to do better in order to justify all the extra reshoots and revisions that were done to make it appealing to all Star Wars fans and not be as divisive (and we know that hasn't happened, not matter what money it makes).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom