Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Cosmic Commando

I am so happy they at least added as an extra. I remember watching the original all the time when I was kid and I was so sad that they had removed it when I bought the Blue Ray a couple of years ago
Fans of the song like us are starting from behind, even though it's the emotional heart of the whole movie and they call back to it in the finale!! Where was I? Oh yeah... wasn't actually in the theatrical version, but was restored for TV at some point later. That's why the DVD release has widescreen without the song and 4:3 with the song. Don't know why they skipped it for the Blu-ray, other than it's not the "real" version of the movie.

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Fans of the song like us are starting from behind, even though it's the emotional heart of the whole movie and they call back to it in the finale!! Where was I? Oh yeah... wasn't actually in the theatrical version, but was restored for TV at some point later. That's why the DVD release has widescreen without the song and 4:3 with the song. Don't know why they skipped it for the Blu-ray, other than it's not the "real" version of the movie.
That explains why I saw the version with the song because my friend had recorded it off tv.

Mouse Trap

Whatever issues and problems people want to waste time discussing should just put it to rest. With the news that 10M subscribers have already been added (a goal Disney+ was supposed to hit around EOY) Disney+ is already well on it's way to becoming a massive success. The Bob Iger haters are going to implode.

Animaniac93-98

So weird to see Don Bluth's Thumbelina on Disney+

I read a story once that when Warner Brothers was test screening the movie they'd sometimes play it with the Disney logo in front to see if audiences would react differently, and allegedly they liked it better! No way to know if this was a true story or just internet gossip, but it's funny to think about it now that another Jodi Benson Princess is under the Disney umbrella.

I'm also not sure exactly when or why Warner Brother's lost the rights to Fox though.

LSLS

Why it may be just that crazy (which is the whole point of the scenario)...

In the comics, lots of traumatic stuff happens to Wanda and in her grief and despair (and the help of other cosmic level forces) she uses her reality-warping powers to change reality giving everyone their true desires. So, Wanda and Vision living the idyllic life of a sitcom may be part of the reality-changing madness. And that is why it leads to the movie: Doctor Strange in Multiverse of Madness.

Maybe. Honestly they just made her such force in end game, I just hope they really run with her.

seascape

The streaming wars are going to be very interesting and I expect more shocks. Prior to Disney releasing their 10 million signups, I had predicted they would reach 90 million worldwide by the end of 2020. I still think that number is realistic. However, Disney Plus is only one part of Disney's overall streaming strategy.

IMO Hulu and Hotstar the key to their dominating the worldwide market. Rumors are their Hulu worldwide rollout will start in Latin America in 2020. If they follow suit, I expect them to offer both Hulu and Hulu with liveTV, and bundles with Disney Plus and ESPN Plus. Rember they have all those Fox assets in Central and South America. Hotstar is the number 1 streaming company in India and will be the key to full rolling out Disney Plus and Hulu products in Asia. Worldwide, I expect Hulu with live TV to become the number 1 provider of live TV worldwide. Sky, was going to be the platform Disney was going to use, but Comcast over bid them.

The future of Television and all types of video entertainment is high speed internet. The problem the high speed internet providers have is competition is about to come, 5G is almost here and that means 3 wireless provides competing with CATV providers. This will lead to lower prices and profits for that end of the business and thay is Comcast's biggest problem. They and AT&T could be the only companies that come close to the programming The Walt Disney Company has but they have to spend a fortune on their high speed internet infrastructure and competing against each other on that end of the business.

I just don't see how Netflix can compete in the long run. They run a negative cash flow and will for several more years. They don't have the huge library of movies and television shows that Disney, Comcast and AT&T (the big 3) have. They are spending more than any other streaming company but don't come close to what all the divisions of the big 3 spend and produce.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The streaming wars are going to be very interesting and I expect more shocks. Prior to Disney releasing their 10 million signups, I had predicted they would reach 90 million worldwide by the end of 2020. I still think that number is realistic. However, Disney Plus is only one part of Disney's overall streaming strategy.

IMO Hulu and Hotstar the key to their dominating the worldwide market. Rumors are their Hulu worldwide rollout will start in Latin America in 2020. If they follow suit, I expect them to offer both Hulu and Hulu with liveTV, and bundles with Disney Plus and ESPN Plus. Rember they have all those Fox assets in Central and South America. Hotstar is the number 1 streaming company in India and will be the key to full rolling out Disney Plus and Hulu products in Asia. Worldwide, I expect Hulu with live TV to become the number 1 provider of live TV worldwide. Sky, was going to be the platform Disney was going to use, but Comcast over bid them.

The future of Television and all types of video entertainment is high speed internet. The problem the high speed internet providers have is competition is about to come, 5G is almost here and that means 3 wireless provides competing with CATV providers. This will lead to lower prices and profits for that end of the business and thay is Comcast's biggest problem. They and AT&T could be the only companies that come close to the programming The Walt Disney Company has but they have to spend a fortune on their high speed internet infrastructure and competing against each other on that end of the business.

I just don't see how Netflix can compete in the long run. They run a negative cash flow and will for several more years. They don't have the huge library of movies and television shows that Disney, Comcast and AT&T (the big 3) have. They are spending more than any other streaming company but don't come close to what all the divisions of the big 3 spend and produce.
Good post, I think most of it is spot on. I do wonder if/when Disney will put most of the (less family-friendly) Fox/Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures back catalog onto Hulu...

In the Parks
No
So Mom (who is only 40 years old herself ) and I a 16 year old teen started watching the Mickey Mouse Club Season One from 1955 which was before both of use were born. I think it is so awesome. I mean even some of the styles of clothes the kids are wearing are even somewhat like we are wearing now. It is crazy. I like watching those crazy dances they do as well. I can't wait to get some more of my home schooling done and watch more of them. Disney+ is so freaking cool.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So is Disney+ supposed to save progress if you stop watching a film midway through?

If it doesn't, complain about it through the feedback page on the website.

I would imagine there's a small window of opportunity to get their computer engineers to make tweaks like that.

erasure fan1

So is Disney+ supposed to save progress if you stop watching a film midway through?
It did for me when I was watching the Mickey Mouse Club and had to stop and go do something else for sometime.
Everything we've watched, we've had to start over and then fast forward to the spot we left off. Maybe it's a glitch or only on certain content right now, who knows. The other thing they need to add, or fix, is showing what episodes you've watched, like Netflix does. It's a pain to remember what episode you left off on if you haven't watched in a few days.

Tony Perkis

Netflix’s television offerings are massively deeper than that of Disney+, by a country mile.

seascape

Good post, I think most of it is spot on. I do wonder if/when Disney will put most of the (less family-friendly) Fox/Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures back catalog onto Hulu...
The Fox HBO contract expires in 2021. so look for Fox content to slowly move over until 2022 when almost all of the library moves. In the meantime, look for Hulu to start importing shows from the Fox Latin American library. I am totally shocked how so called financial experts can't see how much Disney actually got when they purchased most of Fox. BTW, I am sick and tired of reading that Disney purchased most of Fox for 72 billion. That number does not subtract the 19 billion they got from Comcast for their share of Sky. Nor does it take into account the sale of the Fox RSNs, so the actual cost was under 50 billion. Comcast over paid for Sky and Disney will soon offer a full competitor to Sky in Europe.

seascape

Netflix’s television offerings are massively deeper than that of Disney+, by a country mile.
You are counting content they have on their system today but that they do not own. All the WB, Universal, Disney. Marvel, Pixar and tons of old TV shows will be taken off in the not to distant future.

Disney and Hulu will get the thousands of shows that all their Divisions made, including those made with the Fox Latin American networks, Hotstar and others. How much of the library on Netflix is actually owned by Netflix? How much of it is actually wated as a percentage of the total Netflix viewing? Netflix has a lot of potential problems that most people are not looking at. That does not mean Disney can't mess it all up even though their library blows Netflix out of the water. It is not just Disney and Disney Plus. It is so much more. I know I am not alone as an ex-Netflix customer. I will sign up for the Peacock Network before I ever consider rejoining Netflix.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Everything we've watched, we've had to start over and then fast forward to the spot we left off. Maybe it's a glitch or only on certain content right now, who knows. The other thing they need to add, or fix, is showing what episodes you've watched, like Netflix does. It's a pain to remember what episode you left off on if you haven't watched in a few days.
It would not surprise me if that is a function of the app being used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom