Updates to the Seas Pavilion

ppete1975

As someone who experienced EPCOT Center as a child it left the biggest impression on me of all the things in Walt Disney World. As annual pass holders in the 90's I would beg my parents to go to EPCOT more than the other 2 parks at the age of 5. It was Disney to me and was my favorite place in the world, the lack of "Disney" characters never once crossed my mind.
I totally agree with you, imagine my horror in 2013 coming back to it from a 20 year hiatus... 83, 85, 87, 93..... then 2013 2014 (all my favorites were gone with a bunch of Disney added into it) Between 2013-14 is when I found this message board, because I did no research prior to the 2013 trip

ppete1975

I don't think anyone ever said of the original Living Seas "Oh look it's just an aquarium...we have one of those"... The old EPCOT was more than the sum of it's parts... The Living Seas was spectacular...a bit of history,a lot of imagination as you move to an undersea Seabase... It was amazing... Now it's a cartoon ride with an aquarium...but back then...you were transported to a real Sea Base.
I don't remember seeing kids bored...Not until they started closing attractions and not updating them. The original experience in EPCOT was far superior to what it is now...and PS there were always cocktail at EPCOT...that is not something new.
That was then though (I am of the mind I wish it was still the old EPCOT BTW), but todays audience isn't the same audience.
Kids are much more immune to things that used to awe us. I see it in my nephews, what I would have found awesome, bores them to death. Attention spans are a lot shorter, and mickey sells more than imagination and learning.

JoeCamel

As someone who experienced EPCOT Center as a child it left the biggest impression on me of all the things in Walt Disney World. As annual pass holders in the 90's I would beg my parents to go to EPCOT more than the other 2 parks at the age of 5. It was Disney to me and was my favorite place in the world, the lack of "Disney" characters never once crossed my mind.

I wasn't there to "disney" I was there to see what cool things I could learn and experience. Brought back my trip to the '64 world's fair in spades.

So soon we'll have the shark from Jaws in there? SWEET!

Yeah, Universal is trading it for the rest of the Marvel rights.....

gustaftp

Epcot in the 80s didn't feel attached to Disney, you didn't see mickey mouse walking around or meet and greets. It was about science and the world. I guess im not understanding your comment.
Disney created EPCOT. Therefore, it is fundamentally Disney.

Universal's Marketing now likes to pull out the "tired of the pixie dust and fairy tales?" as an alternative to what Disney offers. Once upon a time, EPCOT basically also offered an alternative to the pixie dust and fairy tales with a focus on science and world culture to be an alternative to the fantasy found in the Magic Kingdom.

CitizenRob

Epcot in the 80s didn't feel attached to Disney, you didn't see mickey mouse walking around or meet and greets. It was about science and the world. I guess im not understanding your comment.

EPCOT back then was a joke. It was the 'boring' Disney park. The one your parents sent you as a punishment. With attractions that were outdated the day they were open. What the people of the 50's thought the 70's would be like.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
EPCOT back then was a joke. It was the 'boring' Disney park. The one your parents sent you as a punishment. With attractions that were outdated the day they were open. What the people of the 50's thought the 70's would be like.
This is your 35th post in 15 years?

Of course, not everyone could appreciate the original park.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

Did you see Mickey Mouse in the Haunted Mansion? On Pirates? Small World? Carousel of Progress?

An original attraction created by Disney is just like an original movie created by Disney.
Both are new stories being told by Disney, therefore they're Disney.

There wasn't anything "Disney" about Zootopia before Disney created it.

You went into the movie not knowing the characters, or the world, or the story.
The same thing happens when you go in an original attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Any photos of the original lighting scheme and the wave machine?
The wave machine was on the sign (lots of famous shots of it)

As opposed to today’s bland, boring floodlights on poles, the original lighting scheme:

CA0B60E0-AA46-47EA-B20F-2D20FFBB26A2.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom