What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

TrainsOfDisney

I’m thinking the delay on ROTR is part of this. Crazy people like me want to see the new land ASAP and will plan another trip after ROTR is open. That’s not the norm. People that visit 1 time every 3-5 years, who are big Star Wars fans (which is the target for this?) would want to wait for the entire land to be open before they make their big family trip.

It’s funny... weren’t there bigger crowds than this when they brought back the Main Street Electrical Parade?

George Lucas on a Bench

Screenshot_2019-06-24-18-23-44.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a week later now, the reservation period for Star Wars Land is over, and wait times across both parks actually seemed to have declined even further today. The only ride that has a higher wait time compared to a week ago is Millennium Falcon: Target Run.

Here are the wait times this afternoon. It's a perfect summer day in SoCal, cloudless blue sky and currently 78 degrees with a light breeze.

Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion - 5 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Tours - 10 Minutes
Submarines, Incredicoaster - 15 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure - 20 Minutes
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Soarin' Over California, Grizzly River Run - 25 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 30 Minutes
Matterhorn Boblseds - 45 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 75 Minutes
Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 80 Minutes

The rest of the C and D Tickets have more 5 and 10 minute wait times compared to last week. Everything in Fantasyland is 5 or 10 minutes; Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Roger Rabbit, Casey Jr. Storybook Land, except Peter Pan's Flight at 30 minutes. Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc. dark rides are 5 minutes. The six spinners in DCA plus Little Mermaid are all 5 minutes. Autopia and the Disneyland Railroad is 5 minutes. Luigi's Roadsters and the Pixar death wheel is 15 minutes. Midway Mania is 30 minutes.

In short, it's a beautiful early summer day at Disneyland and the wait times remain very low. Even the Millennium Falcon, unencumbered by idiotic Fastpass, has an 80 minute wait on its first day of open access.

I wonder if they are panicking yet in TDA? :eek: It only took them a couple days in early June to start shoving bizarre VISIT US NOW! AHORA! messages out via the Disney Parks Blog. I wonder if they'll let this ride through the 4th of July, or start panicking immediately?

Maybe the years of insane AP price hikes has finally worked?

Or are fans boycotting over dl being ruined by a single IP land? :)

BubbaQuest

I’m thinking the delay on ROTR is part of this. Crazy people like me want to see the new land ASAP and will plan another trip after ROTR is open. That’s not the norm. People that visit 1 time every 3-5 years, who are big Star Wars fans (which is the target for this?) would want to wait for the entire land to be open before they make their big family trip.

It’s funny... weren’t there bigger crowds than this when they brought back the Main Street Electrical Parade?

Something else to keep in mind is that 500,000 people have already seen the land via June's earlier reservation system. Most people I know that would have lined up for something like this have already seen everything during their guaranteed reservations.

fctiger

Something else to keep in mind is that 500,000 people have already seen the land via June's earlier reservation system. Most people I know that would have lined up for something like this have already seen everything during their guaranteed reservations.

Yeah pretty much! I'm one of those people. We would've went sometime next week (after the initial craziness) if we didn't get a reservation

In fact we were at the parks yesterday because we wanted to get in one last visit before the 'craziness' officially started.

But I am soooooo jealous of people there now. I have two friends there and they are having a ball. First time into GE, the parks low waits and they have already done SR 3 times and hit up nearly every major ride in the park already. They got there at opening thinking it was going to be completely slammed. Now they are at DCA enjoying everything there, will do all the night stuff and plan to get into GE the last hour of the night and shut it down. Now I really wish I took the day off lol.

shambolicdefending

The true Star Wars nerds don't really care for what Disney has done with the universe.

The true Disney nerds don't really care for Star Wars expansion in Walt's original park.

The two broad groups of people who should be the ones crowding the parks each have reasons to be indifferent. Disney swung for the fences but, out of hubris, has to settle for a stand-up double.

JD2000

We are giving Disney the impression that lower crowds is not something everyone wanted for years.

And it is probably better for sales when guests are comfortable and happy, but how are the current executives going to learn that if they freak out?

lumberguy5

We are giving Disney the impression that lower crowds is not something everyone wanted for years.

And it is probably better for sales when guests are comfortable and happy, but how are the current executives going to learn that if they freak out?
How much more money are they making per guest when most are paying peak day pricing or are using the highest tier annual passes? Also someone said that Disneyland was well under merch targets, but i can't find that the targets were reasonable. Especially factoring in how much money the "wand" shop must make in a day. I feel like they will pay the land off, one 200 dollar lightsaber at a time.

They know they can make the locals reappear by unblocking the lower level APs or by bringing back normal day pricing. So far they have only touched CM blockouts which don't seem to effect crowds that much.

Bob Harlem

Ok from following along today, Galaxy's Edge went no reservation required at 5pm PDT, and the land was completely open to all guests, Around 6:30 PM (PDT) Smugglers run's wait time was around 25 minutes, and both Disneyland and DCA were nearly empty, with waits at the other big rides between 5-15 minutes. This seems great for anyone there, but holy hell is that pretty bad business wise.

Last edited:

TP2000

Ok from following along today, Galaxy's Edge went no reservation required at 5pm PDT, and the land was completely open to all guests, Around 6:30 PM (PDT) Smugglers run's wait time was around 25 minutes, and both Disneyland and DCA were nearly empty, with waits at the other big rides between 5-15 minutes. This seems great for anyone there, but holy hell is that pretty bad business wise.

This really is quite fascinating.

This evening the wait times in both parks collapsed even further. It's a gorgeous early summer evening tonight, Disneyland is open until Midnight and DCA until 10:00pm, and right now leading into the first Fantasmic! and fireworks and World of Color, the wait times are unbelievably low!

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain, Grizzly River Run - 5 Minutes
Splash Mountain, Submarines, Star Tours, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Incredicoaster, Soarin' - 10 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy - 15 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Millennium Falcon - 30 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 45 Minutes

Every other ride at the parks has a 5 Minute wait.

Judging by the daylong bell curve of low wait times, and real time reports from those at the park, it would seem that the crowd level for Monday June 24th is even lower that it was a month ago when Star Wars Land first opened for reservations only. That's fascinating, and something I don't think anyone could have predicted. Certainly not the TDA planners.

It will be interesting to watch the TDA response later this week to this collapse in attendance. Amazing! :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom