Dwayne Johnson in Jungle Cruise Film?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Like I said, my kids are 7 and under. That isn't the time. I don't know if you guys hang around children of that age, but you'd be surprised the sort of things that children that age DON'T talk about. And it isn't adult-themed topics. Honestly, kids even in 2018 still want to be kids, we just don't let them.

They've never seen their parents kiss? Or a heterosexual couple on a bus kiss? What if it's a homosexual couple on a Disney bus kissing? What's you're solution? Pass a law preventing them? Throw them in jail if they don't comply?

There is no reason to have it in the movie. None. If it has nothing to do with the plot then what is the point since it is still very controversial unless they are trying to normalize things?

If they handle it like they did for the live action Beauty and the Beast, I'd agree with you because they handled it poorly in that movie.

But to 'normalization'... what does that even mean? As in small percentage? Jews are a small percentage of the population, if a film portrays someone as Jewish is that 'normalizing' them?

Walt Disney1955

They've never seen their parents kiss? Or a heterosexual couple on a bus kiss? What if it's a homosexual couple on a Disney bus kissing? What's you're solution? Pass a law preventing them? Throw them in jail if they don't comply?

If they handle it like they did for the live action Beauty and the Beast, I'd agree with you because they handled it poorly in that movie.

But to 'normalization'... what does that even mean? As in small percentage? Jews are a small percentage of the population, if a film portrays someone as Jewish is that 'normalizing' them?

There are lots of things your kids will see in public that you can't prevent. They will happen. People will use bad language in front of your kids and you can't prevent it. Lots of things will happen and that is part of parenting to answer those inevitable questions when they get asked. But do you expect that while watching a family(?) movie? No, I don't think so.

I have no idea what the Jewish angle you were looking at has to do with anything. But that fact alone that there are still tons of people in North America alone - let alone the world which has a much different opinion on the issue - that don't agree with homosexuality is enough reason not to shove it in people's faces in a movie that kids might be watching. It isn't necessary. That is all I am saying. You can have your own opinions on it, but my question to you is why it is necessary in the first place. Even you don't seem to be able to answer that.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
There are lots of things your kids will see in public that you can't prevent. They will happen. People will use bad language in front of your kids and you can't prevent it. Lots of things will happen and that is part of parenting to answer those inevitable questions when they get asked. But do you expect that while watching a family(?) movie? No, I don't think so.

I have no idea what the Jewish angle you were looking at has to do with anything. But that fact alone that there are still tons of people in North America alone - let alone the world which has a much different opinion on the issue - that don't agree with homosexuality is enough reason not to shove it in people's faces in a movie that kids might be watching. It isn't necessary. That is all I am saying. You can have your own opinions on it, but my question to you is why it is necessary in the first place. Even you don't seem to be able to answer that.
Have you seen the movie yet ?
How do you know it is going to be "shoved in people's faces"
Why shouldn't there be a gay character in a children's film ? It is part of normal for a larger percentage off the world than not.

Walt Disney1955

Have you seen the movie yet ?
How do you know it is going to be "shoved in people's faces"
Why shouldn't there be a gay character in a children's film ? It is part of normal for a larger percentage off the world than not.

No, not really. It is very scarce to even recognize same-sex marriage outside of North America and Europe. It isn't a "thing" around the world like people think. So no, most of the world doesn't do it.

I'll ask again, hopefully you answer it, if it has nothing to do with the plot why even have a gay character in it in the first place unless they have an agenda? It was already mentioned on CNN that this is happening so it isn't as if it wasn't deliberate to have one in there.

Walt Disney1955

@Big Phil Having a gay character in the movie is literally no different than having a straight character. It may make you uncomfortable, but do you really think your children will care? They are just there to see a funny movie. It's 2018 for crying out loud. Its really sad that we still have to discuss this. Its no different than many many years ago when African American people started being in movies and TV. Some people were upset at first, but eventually society as a whole took the high road and accepted it.

Big difference. Being black has never been something that others believed was morally compromised. It was just clear cut prejudice to be against it. These are not comparable. Whether you like it or not, the issue is still controversial today and there is no reason to have a character in there that has nothing to do with the plot. You can't change the fact that it is controversial, so why have it in there anyway?

Walt Disney1955

In my opinion, bigotry towards LGBT+ is clear cut prejudice as well. Furthermore, if there is no reason to include a gay character, then why bother including straight characters either? Why not just have no romantic interest between characters? You are clearly against the gay character specifically.

You can name call it what you want, but these are very deep rooted issues based mostly on people's faith around the world. If you are going to have romantic characters, you are going to use straight characters. Why is this normal? It is normal because they didn't specifically announce that the Jungle Cruise is having a "straight" character. Yet they did announce one will be gay. Again, what is the reason behind this if not for an agenda? I'm still waiting.

Phroobar

hqdefault.jpg

ppete1975

I am guessing it is G. Unless there is some violence in it. Either way, the newest Jurassic Park was PG-13 and lots of kids saw that with their parents. The gay theme isn't necessary for this type of film.
it wont be G. G is a dirty word for some reason to movie studios... just look at incredibles throwing in curse words so it became pg.
From what I can find is there were only 2 new G rated movies this year. Ice dragon and pandas.

As far as the other discussion. I really don't care, but I do care that it feels that it is crammed down everyones throat. Instead of just having a gay character, one of the first announcements of the movie is that they are having a gay character. So is it part of the story? Or is it to just boost box office and publicity. What will happen is a stereotyped character that is silly and vibrant and way over the top. (my assumption only to make a point) We shouldn't have to add a Chinese character to boost numbers in China. We shouldn't have to include an LGBT character to have people of that community watch. They should watch because its a great movie. Disney seems to be one of the worst studios currently on doing this.
Instead of moving the community forward will just push forward the stereotype of a silly man with a girly voice dressed in purple and pink who is the comedic butt to everyeones joke (and usually clumsy and not too bright) ... going off Hollywood history.. hopefully I'm wront.
Maybe in 10 years we wont even notice, I'm sure before my time it was the same with African American actors, or real Asian actors and not jerry lewis pretending to be Asian.
I just hope one day people are people and aren't used to get people to attend a movie.

I hope this post doesn't offend, I am really trying not to.

Snow Queen

98% of the population is not part of the LGBT community. I would call that quite normal, yes. I have three kids 7 and under. None of them need to have me explain why two men are kissing right now. Anything different just panders to the 2% for political correctness. And if you haven't noticed, the world is still full of people who have moral objections to same-sex relationships unless you are living under a rock.
Everything's pandering. It's pandering to put the Rock in a movie for commercial appeal. It's pandering to Disney fanbases to adapt a Disney ride. It's pandering to straight people to make every character straight in a movie. It's pandering to white people to make every important character white in a movie. It's pandering to nostalgia to adapt their own animated output to get money from those who grew up with them. Pandering isn't just a thing when it's about people who are slightly different than you. You're right though, your kids don't need you to explain it to them. Because they're 7 and under. They probably care a lot less than you do. But I'm so sorry they put you through the experience of possibly having to talk to your kids.

Their moral objections hold as much water as someone mad about black people in movies.

ppete1975

Everything's pandering. It's pandering to put the Rock in a movie for commercial appeal. It's pandering to Disney fanbases to adapt a Disney ride. It's pandering to straight people to make every character straight in a movie. It's pandering to white people to make every important character white in a movie. It's pandering to nostalgia to adapt their own animated output to get money from those who grew up with them. Pandering isn't just a thing when it's about people who are slightly different than you. You're right though, your kids don't need you to explain it to them. Because they're 7 and under. They probably care a lot less than you do. But I'm so sorry they put you through the experience of possibly having to talk to your kids.

Their moral objections hold as much water as someone mad about black people in movies.
All good points. It makes you wonder though, that if it was the 60s if Disney would say.... Jungle cruise will have a black actor!!!! and have that sent to all the news agencies as one of its first comments regarding the movie....
something tells me they would.

Walt Disney1955

I have talked to many black people about this. So many wince at the fact that the LGBT agenda is used in comparison to the Civil Rights era as if they are the same thing.

Walt Disney1955

All good points. It makes you wonder though, that if it was the 60s if Disney would say.... Jungle cruise will have a black actor!!!! and have that sent to all the news agencies as one of its first comments regarding the movie....
something tells me they would.

It is virtue signalling in a movie.............and people hate this. You don't have to believe me, just look at the box office numbers that have dropped in the last couple years and even worse look at things like the Oscars, MTV Awards, the Emmys, Grammys, etc. You've got more people bowling than watching this stuff nowadays. People want to go to a movie to ESCAPE things being jammed in their face.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have talked to many black people about this. So many wince at the fact that the LGBT agenda is used in comparison to the Civil Rights era as if they are the same thing.

So?

I talk to many Irish American people whose grandparents and great grandparents endured extreme intolerance and bigotry when they came to the U.S., and they're somehow anti-immigrant today.

Doesn't mean current immigrants can't point to that time and say that their Irish ancestors' struggles live on in them today despite their descendants being big ol' hypocrites about it.

So, some people in the Black community don't get that LGBT rights coincide with their rights forgetting that it was just 51 years ago that interracial marriage was forbidden by law in some states (and even when struck unConstitutional, some states still didn't strike the laws from the books until 2000). But many Black people do. You need to get to know some more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom