News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

CJR

I'm actually very happy about this. SSE used to be one of my favorite attractions and I still go on it for nostalgia purposes, but it's in high need of a real refurb. I don't mind changes, so long the ride remains a slow moving journey into the past, present, and future, with a burning smell along the way and almost entirely physical sets.

I could understand changes to the entrance since it's been off since they unnecessarily added FP+ to the attraction. Obviously FP won't be going away, so a complete rework would be a good thing. Something that flows better and keeps the regular standby from regularly spilling out into the main pathway.

THE Monorail Lime

Uh, could we see something like this happen?
66A5CD7C-962B-4832-829D-E17400BBF03F.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How do the engineers remove the time machine vehicles from the track for vehicle work or track replacement especially on the steep lifts?
The car in question is parked at 52ft (dawn of time) and removed off its bogie. This is where the engineering pit and workshop is.

If the bogie comes off too then a spacer bar has to replace it to hold tension for the whole ride chain whilst a replacement bogie is fitted.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm actually very happy about this. SSE used to be one of my favorite attractions and I still go on it for nostalgia purposes, but it's in high need of a real refurb. I don't mind changes, so long the ride remains a slow moving journey into the past, present, and future, with a burning smell along the way and almost entirely physical sets.

I could understand changes to the entrance since it's been off since they unnecessarily added FP+ to the attraction. Obviously FP won't be going away, so a complete rework would be a good thing. Something that flows better and keeps the regular standby from regularly spilling out into the main pathway.
Or a longer standby switchback queue?

Another example of why fastpass a) isn’t needed and b) is detrimental to operation.

CJR

Another example of why fastpass a) isn’t needed and b) is detrimental to operation.

Completely agree, it was fine before they added it. The only time the line would be found going into the right pathway was in the morning, for obvious reasons. By adding FP, they eliminated nearly half of the existing switchbacks that were used for standby.

Just my personal thoughts here, but since they're always looking for expenses to cut, they could save a lot of money by keeping it the same and removing FP, although I doubt that's an option they'll consider. I suppose, if they were to change the ride system, it could potentially lose its people eater status (hope not), but as an omnimover, FP isn't necessary (or really wanted).

griffin ferrari

There's a specialized crane in the room with the wooly mammoth projection. That's the only point where they can install and remove vehicles because an elevator access point is right there. It actually takes a few hours at a time. It's a very intensive process.
Is there by any chance a picture of said crane?

Tavernacle12

Maybe I'm misreading things, but it seems like (between this thread and the original article):
-The scenes pre-Industrial Revolution (Cavemen, Egypt, Phoenicians, Greeks, Dark Ages, Renaissance) will get upgraded ala Disneyland's dark rides for their 60th. This sounds like a good thing.
-The post-Industrial Revolution scenes will be totally altered. They DO feel outdated (they basically end in the 1980s). There's a way to do it well, hopefully they keep some of the more iconic bits (Foxy Brown, the telephone collage, the living room).
-We're getting 2-3 new scenes (a new opening, closing, and possibly a new descent).

I'd hope that the music, at least in the first half, stays the same. Assuming fan favorite elements remain untouched (Foxy Brown, Thank The Phoenicians, the Alexandria smell, the sleeping monk, the music) this could be something that is 100% a good thing? Maybe? Hopefully?

I don't think I could go back to Epcot if I lose both this AND IllumiNations.

It does feel weird to have it closed during the 50th celebrations at MK. I wonder if they'll time it so there's at least a few weeks where you can ride it and enjoy the 50th offerings before it shuts down?

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Not at all. Completely different structures.

Where was the photo taken? I didn’t think there was another geodesic dome like SSE anywhere else in the world...

Edit: I take it back. I was thinking it was a pic of another Disney Park, but it’s a knockoff at some European Park from what I can see.

Last edited:

Tavernacle12

SSE was always one of the “later” pavilions to be addressed. It and Imag have been vying for the same spot.

Imag may need it more, but since SSE is the icon of the park (and the timeline seems like it'll now reopen for the park's anniversary) it seems sensible to have that one get work done with the overall Future World redo, at least to me. Does this mean we're unlikely to see anything done to Imagination before 2023 or so?

trainplane3

Where was the photo taken? I didn’t think there was another geodesic dome like SSE anywhere else in the world...
It's not a full geodesic dome though. And it's Eurosat...the...CanCan Coaster (was originally just Eurosat). It was cool until they overhauled it to be this janky Moulin Rouge theme. At least the original score was reworked and change into a classical song in the lift section.
https://rcdb.com/973.htm

Also, Europa Park is for sure one of my bucket list parks. A well themed park with great rides.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Imag may need it more, but since SSE is the icon of the park (and the timeline seems like it'll now reopen for the park's anniversary) it seems sensible to have that one get work done with the overall Future World redo, at least to me. Does this mean we're unlikely to see anything done to Imagination before 2023 or so?
Currently Imag is indeed later in the queue. There’s always the possibility that SSE technically needs to be expedited too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom