News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

HoraceHorizons

If the plans are true, it's a decent offering for the overall re-do of Epcot. I can't imagine this park w/o this ride. I never miss it, even in it's current state of desperation. It sounds like Disney knows SSE needs to remain, in spirit, unchanged, while still getting a real healthy refurbishment. I think I agree about all the specifics of what needs to be addressed,.. if the rumors are true.

@marni1971
Is it possible the length of the refurb, may have to do with it being lumped together with some other "gamma" projects in the Spine?

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I know it's my opinion but I find it a total snore fest. I can't see how kids can't find it remotely exciting. I don't mind the story if they really want to keep it but they've got to do something major.

I only go in it to get air con or get out of the rain
I thought it was one of the most exciting attractions I had ever seen when I went as a child in the 80's (outside of Horizons). I remember my Mom and Dad having to switch taking turns with me over a dozen times. I think my Dad at some point left had to literally pull me out of line so we could see the other pavilions. Cheap thrills weren't my thing (coasters).

Tom P.

I know it's my opinion but I find it a total snore fest. I can't see how kids can't find it remotely exciting. I don't mind the story if they really want to keep it but they've got to do something major.

My kids range in age from 3 - 11 and they all absolutely love it. They could ride it several times in a row and not get tired of it.

Not everything has to be rapid-fire excitement to be entertaining.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Love the idea of a redo at this point if done well -- it needs it. But 2yrs?? I just can't get over their timelines for most projects. But what do I know?! :)
SSE in particular has a unique set of problems for refurbs. It’s landlocked by an open park (even with half a pathway closed for off peak works access) plus anything coming in and out only has one elevator, two sets of stairs or the ride tunnels to use. There’s no loading bay “around the back”.

Add to that it’s not the easiest or quickest ride to remove ride vehicles from, let alone all of them for a new track.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If the plans are true, it's a decent offering for the overall re-do of Epcot. I can't imagine this park w/o this ride. I never miss it, even in it's current state of desperation. It sounds like Disney knows this ride needs to remain, in spirit, unchanged, while still getting a real healthy refurbishment. I think I agree about all the specifics of what needs to be addressed,.. if the rumors are true.

@marni1971
Is it possible the length of the refurb, may have to do with it being lumped together with some other "gamma" projects in the Spine?
AFAIK they can be done and are in isolation of each other more or less.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Well, maybe the kids (who probably aarent paying the ticket price to get in) may think its a snooze fest, but those who actually find history interesting and important actually enjoy the attraction.

HiJe

I have a question regarding the overall theme and cost of the refurbishment. Does Disney still search out 3rd party sponsors for attractions (in this case, to replace Siemens) or are they funding everything themselves now (IP attractions becoming the norm and all)?

MickeyMinnieMom

SSE in particular has a unique set of problems for refurbs. It’s landlocked by an open park (even with half a pathway closed for off peak works access) plus anything coming in and out only has one elevator, two sets of stairs or the ride tunnels to use. There’s no loading bay “around the back”.

Add to that it’s not the easiest or quickest ride to remove ride vehicles from, let alone all of them for a new track.
Hey -- if it makes sense to you, that's good enough for me! I just read the article and it states 2.5yrs... long enough for us to really miss it... I suppose there's that... ;)

P_Radden

Can the cars removed from the structure as it is today or will there have to be an opening made to get them out? Meaning, do they fit in the elevator?

EDIT: Trying to read/understand and type a question while handling business at work. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

I’m actually surprised Disney is willing to spend the time / money / effort on (what seems like) a great refurbishment project on a classic ride. Considering how they dealt with the centerpiece ride of the park next door.

I’m excited for this.
Seems like some good is coming to Epcot

WEDwaydatamover

How do the engineers remove the time machine vehicles from the track for vehicle work or track replacement especially on the steep lifts?

I think that Disney stretches out refurbishments just to avoid staffing and operating. I would imagine them closing the Epcot monorail for a couple of years during construction.

t3techcom18

How do the engineers remove the time machine vehicles from the track for vehicle work or track replacement especially on the steep lifts?

There's a specialized crane in the room with the wooly mammoth projection. That's the only point where they can install and remove vehicles because an elevator access point is right there. It actually takes a few hours at a time. It's a very intensive process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom