The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MOXOMUMD

Even if it had a chaperone? Could actually be safer because then the chaperone wouldn't need to be focused on the road, and could then spend more attention on keeping the kids safe.
Chaperone yes, unsupervised no. Our kindergarten busses have a chaperone so the kids get off where they are supposed to. If a parent, babysitter or older sibling is not at the bus stop at the end of the day, those kids don't get off the bus. From first grade on they are on their own. Our school system doesn't have funds for chaperones and it seems no one has time to volunteer anymore. We had a bus driver shortage to start the year. Bus routes were combined and kids were three to a seat. That lasted over a month.

Goofyernmost

@Goofyernmost , what do you think of the new driverless buses they are testing in San Ramon, California? (Other various topics on Google about this new technology--interesting discussions from parents--if they'd ever want their children on driverless school buses--in the future.) Anyway, since you've driven buses, I was curious about what you thought of all this.

Here's the California experiment--

http://abc7news.com/technology/californias-first-driverless-bus-hits-the-road-in-san-ramon/3183813/
Good question! I believe that someday after a lot of accidents and deaths they will find a way to keep it perfectly safe, but, in order to do that one might as well take a train because it will require designated paths that no one can "accidentally" cross into. I trust technology, but, I don't like the lack of human backup. How many times has ones computer crashed? That can happen with a computerized vehicle as well. Perhaps more electronic backup is involved then in your home computer, but, if nothing else the mess with the ski lift in Georgia loudly lets us know that things fail and with vehicles it can be very catastrophically.

Technology aside, I spent my life loving to drive places. From the fact that I was standing at the door of the DMV on my 16th Birthday to get my drivers license to the fact that to this very day I love road trips. I really cannot get behind just sitting on my butt and doing nothing 24/7 which is what this is all coming too. At the risk of jinxing it, I have driven literally millions of miles just with my own vehicles, not counting the years that I drove buses for a living without one single accident (at fault or otherwise, 54 years and counting). I'm still not tired of it. Why do we need to let machines do everything for us completely? Granted motor vehicles were at one point one of those "machines" that would never replace a horse, but, it depresses me that one more skill goes by the wayside.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
So it looks like we inline for more snow later this week - this winter just won't let go.

I remember the farmers almanac forecasting that we're due for quite a bit of snow. I also remember one of the government's long range forecast called for a warm winter.

I thought both were mutally exclusive, little did I know that we'd get hit with snow, late in the season and have an unseasonably warm February.

Both forecasts were for the most part correct - go figure.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I think buses should have a driver and a chaperone and a video camera.

Boy I would love that! My heart has always been with most bus drivers. They have to watch where they are going not watch the rear view mirror, which makes them a 'distracted driver.' I'd love to see a chaperone. Now how to pay for that extra personnel hours, got me. Zip ideas. But expensive.

MouseDreaming

:hilarious:
Woof! You are sooo right, they just don't seem to have enough collective common sense to dial it all in. It's like they're all scrambling to find ways to make their jobs seem relevant. Constantly falling all over themselves to prove their relevance to the friggin' bottom line. That's the real problem with that place now.
BOHICA on the parking fee, but, ya' got your Citrus Swirl back...!!!!! :joyfull:
Or, just dump a bunch of OJ into your resort room toilet, dunk your head in and flush...instant Citrus Swirl...!!!!!!!
:joyfull::hilarious:
I will take a pass on that Citrus Swirl. (Insert green grinning face.)

MySmallWorldof4

Good question! I believe that someday after a lot of accidents and deaths they will find a way to keep it perfectly safe, but, in order to do that one might as well take a train because it will require designated paths that no one can "accidentally" cross into. I trust technology, but, I don't like the lack of human backup. How many times has ones computer crashed? That can happen with a computerized vehicle as well. Perhaps more electronic backup is involved then in your home computer, but, if nothing else the mess with the ski lift in Georgia loudly lets us know that things fail and with vehicles it can be very catastrophically.

Technology aside, I spent my life loving to drive places. From the fact that I was standing at the door of the DMV on my 16th Birthday to get my drivers license to the fact that to this very day I love road trips. I really cannot get behind just sitting on my butt and doing nothing 24/7 which is what this is all coming too. At the risk of jinxing it, I have driven literally millions of miles just with my own vehicles, not counting the years that I drove buses for a living without one single accident (at fault or otherwise, 54 years and counting). I'm still not tired of it. Why do we need to let machines do everything for us completely? Granted motor vehicles were at one point one of those "machines" that would never replace a horse, but, it depresses me that one more skill goes by the wayside.
This^^^^

StarWarsGirl

That is really sad. I am guessing you will have some snow. I guess overtime is not agreeing with you.
Well, and yesterday I had a migraine all day, which didn't help. I ended up sleeping for 3.5 hours in the afternoon. Plus I've been running in between buildings for the past three weeks, which doesn't help, and I'm still doing that this week. It would be better if I could just stay in my building instead of running between buildings. Next week I'll be in one building.

Cesar R M

Someone remind spring that its time..

arzp4nB.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom