Black Panther

michmousefan

I kind of half-seriously joked about a Wakanda pavilion coming to World Showcase. Keeping in mind the current desire to get IP into the parks... admit it, a pavilion area or small land devoted to Wakanda could be very cool, especially with the amazing design of the afro-futurist city. I'm just not sure where it would fit...

Princess Leia

Just got out of a theatre that was probably 90% full (for a 2:15 matinee). My friend and I loved it. While I think there were a couple issues with visual effects here and there, everything else was really tight. The score, the costumes, the cast, the story. It was all incredibly cohesive. I definitely want to see it again.

the.dreamfinder

I kind of half-seriously joked about a Wakanda pavilion coming to World Showcase. Keeping in mind the current desire to get IP into the parks... admit it, a pavilion area or small land devoted to Wakanda could be very cool, especially with the amazing design of the afro-futurist city. I'm just not sure where it would fit...
That feels wrong. I think theme parks are capable of articulating unique interpretations of Africa that fit the themes of the parks they’re in. (Harambe-DAK, Wakanda-IoA or a Marvel Park, WS Pavillion) Wakanda in WS would be more crass and shallow than FEA.

An Afrofuturism TL in an African castle park would be soo cool though.

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Just got out of a theatre that was probably 90% full (for a 2:15 matinee). My friend and I loved it. While I think there were a couple issues with visual effects here and there, everything else was really tight. The score, the costumes, the cast, the story. It was all incredibly cohesive. I definitely want to see it again.
Yep, CGI was noticeable in spots but not to the point it took me out of the movie.

DisneyJayL

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saw the movie last night with some girlfriends at the El Cap in Hollywood. I’m not going to lie, I loved being surrounded by so many fellow Black movie-goers. We yelled, clapped, and cheered together. This is my favorite Marvel film, no doubt. So much Black excellence and beauty in 2.5 hours! Black Panther not only entertained me, but it made me reflect on my history and culture. It nearly brought me to tears. It also made reminded me of why I’m a proud Californian, which wasn’t expected. I’ve wanted to visit the Motherland since forever, but now my desire has intensified. I need to get to Africa, STAT.

I’m already making plans to see this again this weekend.

P.S. I forgot to mention, Winston Duke, who plays M’Baku, made a surprise appearance at the El Capitan.😍😍😍
Speaking of M’Baku he stole the show in every scene he had. I want to see more of him! Winston Duke has range.

Princess Leia

I can’t remember this normally happening before a Disney-Marvel film, but there were 3 R rated movie trailers- Game Night, Red Sparrow, and Venom (not rated R yet, but I think that was the initial plan). There were a lot of kids in the theatre, but outside of Ant-Man & Wasp and Solo, I can’t think of any other kid-friendly films that were promoted. Nothing for Incredibles 2 or Wreck It Ralph 2, which seems like a missed opportunity for Disney.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Also, back to the movie, I loved the female friendships. They were complex, layered, and oh so needed in this franchise. We’ve seen women interact in the MCU, but not like this.

Princess Leia

Okay, it’s sad that I actually had to do a lot of thinking about this, but I think these are the movies that I think had the most interactions between women prior to Black Panther-

Thor & Thor 2- Jane and Darcy
Iron Man 2- Pepper & Natasha
GotG: Vol 2- Gamora & Nebula
Iron Man 3- Pepper and Maya (before that all went downhill)

And that’s it? I’m trying to remember if Maria ever interacted a lot with Natasha, or Natasha with Wanda. That’s why I’m so enthralled with Black Panther- it celebrates female friendships and relationships. This was the first major mother-daughter combo we have seen in the MCU (until this summer with Ant-Man & Wasp). The first movie with multiple conversations between several different women. And all of the women showed different kinds of strength!

Bairstow

Saw it yesterday and thought it was alright. I understand why there's so much hype around the movie, but for me it's not in my top-5 as far as Marvel flicks go. Decent villain, though. I kind of wish he had won, just because Michael B. Jordan was way more interesting than the title character.

Thanks, I couldn’t remember if they did or not, since the conversation that kept coming up in my head was about
mourning T’Chaka and T’Challa

Conversations between female characters only pass the Bechdel test if the female characters are not talking about male characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom