The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Do you have artificial trees? I'm only asking because you put them up so early. We get a "real" tree every year but don't buy it until maybe the 2nd weekend in December. Otherwise, it would dry out too quickly with needles falling all over the place (even if you keep it watered).

Only artificial trees for us. I don't want to deal with dry needles and watering a tree. I would forget to water the tree and probably end up with a tree fire.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Like I said, I was only conveying what I was told. That said... I would still bypass a corporation which still has to skim off a lot of money to pay it's management (if nothing else) so I will go to local, non-profits, connected with reliable Religions (not many of them left either) where I know that the proceeds are staying in the community. I'm sure everyone has their own personal reasons for donating where they donate. Mine was guided by what I had heard to a minor degree, but, mostly because I think there are others that do a better job of making sure my donations are going to benefit the majority of their intended target.

I tend to agree with Salvation Army over Red Cross, because of personal experience. I still donated blood to the Red Cross until the Cancer diagnosis and now they won't let me. I used to do St. Jude until I donated a fairly large amount to them only to receive a letter from them saying that they received it but it wasn't enough, send more! Didn't even thank me for what I did give, and then proceeded to bombard me with more request for money for days after that. They probably used up all my donation just to send me those requests. Now it's the Shriner's Hospitals that I will support. Whatever, the case may be unless we are millionaires (I'm more then a few dollars short on that one) we chose the one(s) that we feel the most comfortable with. Helping others should be what this country is all about. We have the resources and "Us First" is not the way we should be. We already have everything, sharing is what makes us stronger.

Yep, we have lots to choose from and we all have what is near and dear to us. My Mom's has always been the Veterans and the Purple Heart Veterans. She too gets calls and letter requests but she does her budget once a year and that is that. One of my local favorites is Lambs Farm. The house and or employ adults with cognitive issues. They can work, they can take care of basic needs for themselves but will not lets say for example be able to drive a car and the majority would likely become wards of the state if siblings didn't take on their care when the parents were gone or could no longer. Upcoming in a few weeks is their major fundraiser and I can't remember when the last time we missed it was. I get the local thing because you have a better handle on where it is really going but Good Will will still receive my discarded but Good household goods 'cause Lamb's doesn't want them.

You might note too that none of these are Corporations, they are Foundations and Organization. That is what makes most donations tax deductible. Disney has even separated themselves out from the Corporation to VoluntEARS and their Conservation Funds.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I usually make it but not this Thanksgiving. Green beans were a bit pricey and I'm not in the mood.Brussels sprouts and asparagus will be on the menu along with cole slaw, salad, roasted veggies and 2 types of mashed potatoes

Aldi has the best frozen green beans out of all the fresh and frozen I've tried. Very thin and tender. Large bag under $2 for 16 ounces.
IMG_7271.JPG

donaldtoo

Just got back from DWifeys giant family Thanksgiving...!!! :)

My plate...!!! :hungry:

image.jpeg

Oldest DDs vegan plate...vegan mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole, and country fried tofu...yes, really...! ;)

image.jpeg

A few shots of the venue and folks...the empty looking tables are people still getting food...! :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And, on the way back home, when we drove past the airport, the red gyro had just landed and was taxiing...!!!!!!! :joyfull: ;) :)

donaldtoo

Venison, pheasant, fish...you name it...as long as someone else is willing to do the nasty work, I'm up for it. ;)

EDIT: I could probably hunt and gut if I really had to...but since I don't....
Tried shark - wasn't a fan. Frogs' legs, calamari, escargot - lemmie at 'em!

Yep, a pretty adventurous eater here, too. Have done plenty of hunting, fishing, gutting and cleaning, as well, over the years, but, not recently.
Have never actually had pheasant or escargot, but, would definitely try them if the opportunity arose. Have had plenty of goose, duck, guinea, dove, and quail. Rabbit and squirrel, too.
Have had shark a few times, and it was very good, to me, anyway. Again, maybe the prep?
Calamari and frogs legs are a definite yes. I've even gotten my own frogs legs several
Times before by shooting bullfrogs off my grandparents stock tanks many years ago with a .22 rifle. Talk about fresh...!!! :hungry: ;) :)

Pixieish

Yep, a pretty adventurous eater here, too. Have done plenty of hunting, fishing, gutting and cleaning, as well, over the years, but, not recently.
Have never actually had pheasant or escargot, but, would definitely try them if the opportunity arose. Have had plenty of goose, duck, guinea, dove, and quail. Rabbit and squirrel, too.
Have had shark a few times, and it was very good, to me, anyway. Again, maybe the prep?
Calamari and frogs legs are a definite yes. I've even gotten my own frogs legs several
Times before by shooting bullfrogs off my grandparents stock tanks many years ago with a .22 rifle. Talk about fresh...!!! :hungry: ;) :)

Seriously - put food in front of me and I'll eat it. I have no idea how I ended up with a husband and 2 sons that don't like anything!

donaldtoo

That is a surprise to me. Wouldn't expect that from Scituate.

There used to be a seafood place down off the highway between Port Aransas and Rockport called The Big Fisherman. It. Was. AWESOME!!!!!!! :joyfull: :hungry: We used to go there on every trip to the coast. They even had some wild cats there and stuff on display. It was a unique place, and the food was outstanding!!!
Then, in May of '93, the place was heavily damaged in an overnight fire, to the point where it had to be torn down and rebuilt. It was just never the same after that, and the last time we are there, it was absolutely terrible...!!! :depressed:
It's been closed for many years, now. Don't really know what happened, but, sooo sad as we have many great family memories from the original restaurant...!!! :happy: :( :cyclops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom