The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ok I'm going to be a killjoy for a post so if you don't want to be bummed out skip on by but I just need to share my huge bummer of a day....

After lunch today all the teachers were called to an emergency meeting (it was a quick one in between classes so the kids weren't left on there own for too long). The news was that one of our students had committed suicide last night. She wasn't in my class anymore, but she was last year. She was in foster care and had many issues but I always got along with her really well and enjoyed having her in my classroom. She had so much potential I am just devastated to see that wasted and so disheartened that she considered that her best option. :( I just can't understand it. This is the second student I've had that has turned to suicide, the first one was when I was a first year teacher and despite being older now it is just as tough to deal with. Sorry for being a downer and thanks for reading.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Ok I'm going to be a killjoy for a post so if you don't want to be bummed out skip on by but I just need to share my huge bummer of a day....

After lunch today all the teachers were called to an emergency meeting (it was a quick one in between classes so the kids weren't left on there own for too long). The news was that one of our students had committed suicide last night. She wasn't in my class anymore, but she was last year. She was in foster care and had many issues but I always got along with her really well and enjoyed having her in my classroom. She had so much potential I am just devastated to see that wasted and so disheartened that she considered that her best option. :( I just can't understand it. This is the second student I've had that has turned to suicide, the first one was when I was a first year teacher and despite being older now it is just as tough to deal with. Sorry for being a downer and thanks for reading.

Oh my. That is indeed sad. The loss of a young life like that is devastating. Completely understand how bewildering the whole situation must be for you and your colleagues, too.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Oh my. That is indeed sad. The loss of a young life like that is devastating. Completely understand how bewildering the whole situation must be for you and your colleagues, too.

Yes, it was a rough afternoon. I was very thankful that I had my prep period after hearing the news, I needed some time to compose myself. I shared the news with my husband and he came over to the school to help our guidance counselor out, she said he was a big help. He does a lot of stuff to help out the school and has activities at the church that are open to all community kids, so the kids all know who he is so our high school counselor said a lot of the kids felt very comfortable talking to him. Our middle school guidance counselor was out sick but our elementary counselor said she was too busy to come over to the high school to help so I'm very glad hubs has the skills to help her out with this crisis.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, it was a rough afternoon. I was very thankful that I had my prep period after hearing the news, I needed some time to compose myself. I shared the news with my husband and he came over to the school to help our guidance counselor out, she said he was a big help. He does a lot of stuff to help out the school and has activities at the church that are open to all community kids, so the kids all know who he is so our high school counselor said a lot of the kids felt very comfortable talking to him. Our middle school guidance counselor was out sick but our elementary counselor said she was too busy to come over to the high school to help so I'm very glad hubs has the skills to help her out with this crisis.

That's so nice to hear that he wants to help people, and that the kids are comfortable expressing their feelings to him.

MySmallWorldof4

How horrible. I am so sorry. Young people who have their whole lives to look forward to and make positive changes committing suicide has always been something I have never understood. Your husband is amazing and you are lucky in that you have a great person to talk to.

StarWarsGirl

I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be very tough for you as a teacher.

I know the students are impacted deeply. When I was in middle school, a high school boy killed his parents and his two younger brothers, who went to my school. I don't think you ever quite recover from losing a classmate that way, whether by their own hand or someone else's. Years later you'll think you're over it, but then something comes back that reminds you: a news story, a kid who reminded you of the one who was lost, someone with the same last name, and then that emotion is suddenly back. You think about how old they might have been, what they might have done...in high school, they probably both would have been in marching band; they loved their instruments. They probably would have gone to college. I'm now ten years older than they got to be. Who knows what may have happened to them. I know in my case, it's stayed with me my entire life. I suspect your students will feel the same.

So sorry *hugs*

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be very tough for you as a teacher.

I know the students are impacted deeply. When I was in middle school, a high school boy killed his parents and his two younger brothers, who went to my school. I don't think you ever quite recover from losing a classmate that way, whether by their own hand or someone else's. Years later you'll think you're over it, but then something comes back that reminds you: a news story, a kid who reminded you of the one who was lost, someone with the same last name, and then that emotion is suddenly back. You think about how old they might have been, what they might have done...in high school, they probably both would have been in marching band; they loved their instruments. They probably would have gone to college. I'm now ten years older than they got to be. Who knows what may have happened to them. I know in my case, it's stayed with me my entire life. I suspect your students will feel the same.

So sorry *hugs*

Thanks and I know what you mean,that type of thing stays with you for a long time. As I mentioned in a previous post my first year teaching I had a student commit suicide and now that "kid's" nephew is one of my students as an 8th grader so I have thought a lot about him again in the past year. When this kid talks about certain activities he does I wonder what types of conversations we would have if his uncle hadn't died because I am sure they would have been close as they had/have similar interests.

donaldtoo

donaldtoo

So very sad.
My sincerest sympathies.

StarWarsGirl

I took Belle to the vet on Friday night for her paws. We saw a different vet this time, who I think I will be going to from now on since she has the same opinion on declawing as I do which I think makes for a better vet. She gave Belle a shot of pain meds, a steroid that goes into effect quickly, and another that will stay in her system for about a month.

It's like having a different cat around. She's running around again, chasing Jasmine around the house, playing with Jasmine, looking out the back window, asking for food, eating her entire dinner, not hiding, not spending more time on my bed than I do, actually wanting to spend time with other members of the family instead of being completely dependent on me for attention..so much better. And her paws are no longer sore and bleeding. She may need another round of the shots, and we'll need to give her more time before giving her her vaccinations, but it seems like we've turned a corner. Finally.

Although I'm not sure Jasmine knows quite what to make of all of this. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom