“Something major” coming to DHS???

Bocabear

Disney has more IP than they could ever have enough property to turn into attractions if they wanted.... Why would they disregard the vast catalog they already currently own that is associated with the Disney brand and start using IP that is not considered part of the Disney brand?
Simpsons worked in Universal... they did it already.... there is no need to have a Disney version....

Disney has more IP than they could ever have enough property to turn into attractions if they wanted.... Why would they disregard the vast catalog they already currently own that is associated with the Disney brand and start using IP that is not considered part of the Disney brand?
Simpsons worked in Universal... they did it already.... there is no need to have a Disney version....
I agree completely

It would be an illogical decision from a creative and brand management perspective.

The question is whether the c-suite is still under pressure to justify their decision to purchase Fox and whether that pressure will manifest in putting Fox properties into the Disney Parks (the most profitable part of the company). If that's the case then it's unavoidable, some Fox property will end up in one of these parks.

Hopefully that pressure no longer exists, there is no Rio proposal for the Tropical Americas Animal Kingdom expansion, something that would make more thematic sense (again I don't want this).

I don't want Simpsons to happen, I just wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Lilofan

I thought they moved Feature Animation back to California since it was shown that producing films from Florida was too costly?...hence why they closed the Walt Disney Animation attraction to begin with...?
but there is still a division there and fully staffed?
After the dreaded Treasure Planet box office dud, Eisner gutted the Animation dept and a number of them got laid off.

Andrew25

The Simpsons does marvelous merch/F&B wise at UOR... you don't think Disney is jealous? lol

I'm not expecting an attraction whatsoever at WDW... but a retheme of something like Backlot Express into a F&B area is doable...

Heck, a retheme of Pixar Place into Springfield can do well there with a few M&G's, Lard Lad Donuts kiosk, and a Duff Brewery.

pdude81

The Simpsons does marvelous merch/F&B wise at UOR... you don't think Disney is jealous? lol

I'm not expecting an attraction whatsoever at WDW... but a retheme of something like Backlot Express into a F&B area is doable...

Heck, a retheme of Pixar Place into Springfield can do well there with a few M&G's, Lard Lad Donuts kiosk, and a Duff Brewery.
I could definitely see a presence at Disney Springs if Universal let's go of the IP when their contract runs out.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I know everyone will hate this, but hear me out.

When the Fox deal happened there was pressure from management to use some of those properties in the parks. But we haven't seen any integration beyond a NatGeo photo op at Animal Kingdom and a teased Avatar expansion to Disneyland/DCA.

If that pressure still exists, the best location for a Fox based land or attraction (other than Avatar) is probably DHS. Universal's deal for the Simpson's rights is coming to an end in 2028. The show is one of the most viewed properties on Disney+. There are a ton of opportunities for merchandise and food/beverage sales. The aesthetic of the show is cheap to replicate on a theme park scale.

There are so many lands and attractions I'd rather see at DHS, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if this expansion ends up being a Simpsons land. It's a decision I could see happen if imagineering continues to be driven by metrics and numbers from the c-suite.
Fox was bought to primarily bulk up for streaming. I don't think many of the Fox IPs (save Avatar) fit well in a Disney park.

strictfoo

After the dreaded Treasure Planet box office dud, Eisner gutted the Animation dept and a number of them got laid off.

The movie is great, so I wonder if the marketing was just really bad? I had no recollection of the movie existing until I started watching it with my kids ~7-8 years ago.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I've said this before, but I fully expect Disney to build a big Simpsons land, and DHS is the obvious place to do it. Universal's is fun, but it isn't anything remarkable, Disney could build something really good. It's one of the biggest properties ever, is known to nearly everyone and has great viewership on D+.

A proper Springfield land with higher quality food, way more merch and two great rides? I'm sorry, but I definitely want that.

Bocabear

Disney could take any one of their Disney Created IP and do a spectacular job with F&B and merch....if they wanted to....
I think upper management feels like they don't have to so they don't.
They don't need the Simpsons in order to do that....Just a willingness to create it....

I know everyone will hate this, but hear me out.

When the Fox deal happened there was pressure from management to use some of those properties in the parks. But we haven't seen any integration beyond a NatGeo photo op at Animal Kingdom and a teased Avatar expansion to Disneyland/DCA.

If that pressure still exists, the best location for a Fox based land or attraction (other than Avatar) is probably DHS. Universal's deal for the Simpson's rights is coming to an end in 2028. The show is one of the most viewed properties on Disney+. There are a ton of opportunities for merchandise and food/beverage sales. The aesthetic of the show is cheap to replicate on a theme park scale.

There are so many lands and attractions I'd rather see at DHS, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if this expansion ends up being a Simpsons land. It's a decision I could see happen if imagineering continues to be driven by metrics and numbers from the c-suite.
I love classic Simpsons (“monorail!”), but truly think it’s a bad fit for Disney, which by and large is built on a more earnest vibe

Chip Chipperson

Disney could take any one of their Disney Created IP and do a spectacular job with F&B and merch....if they wanted to....
They don't need the Simpsons in order to do that....Just a willingness to create it....
Agreed. I like the Simpsons, but it would feel very out of place at WDW. If they ever did decide ide to bring the Simpsons into a park, DHS would be the only plausible fit, but even then I wouldn't want a Springfield Land.

1. Universal already did it.
2. I think a better fit would be for a Fox/21st Century animation land or mini-land that also included shows like Bob's Burgers and Great North. Family Guy would have to excluded for its content even though I personally love it - it just isn't suitable for a Disney Park and I doubt you'd get an argument otherwise from Seth McFarland.

doctornick

Agreed. I like the Simpsons, but it would feel very out of place at WDW. If they ever did decide ide to bring the Simpsons into a park, DHS would be the only plausible fit, but even then I wouldn't want a Springfield Land.

1. Universal already did it.
2. I think a better fit would be for a Fox/21st Century animation land or mini-land that also included shows like Bob's Burgers and Great North. Family Guy would have to excluded for its content even though I personally love it - it just isn't suitable for a Disney Park and I doubt you'd get an argument otherwise from Seth McFarland.

Speaking of Fox properties to use in the parks, I wonder if Disney owns the rights to Cosmos to that they could use that as a branding in Epcot? Would actually fit in nicely into World discovery if they wanted to do somethin with it in the WoL space (or somehow connect it to M:S)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

I would still love to see something Futurama related in Tomorrowland... even if it's just a subtle Easter egg..

mikejs78

Premium Member

They have non-Disnet created IPs in the Parks already. Toy Story. Nemo. Star Wars. Marvel.

They even have non-Disney owned IPs - Twilight Zone. Up until the Fox acquisition, Avatar; and Star Wars and Indiana Jones were in the parks well before the LucasFilm acquisition, as well as many MGM properties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom