Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

phillip9698

Not true, my girlfriend’s heart condition will no longer qualify for DAS and she can’t go on probably 70% of the rides at Magic Mountain.

You seem to be ok with collateral damage as long as the cheaters can’t abuse the system anymore, those of us who are the collateral damage think it sucks though.

We’re older so we can use cruises to get our fix but it really sucks for the collateral damage people with kids.

Documentation would be the easy solution but our poorly written laws prevent that.

Six Flags requires documentation. So the laws do not prevent it.

This situation isn’t anything new. When GAC was going away we were flooded with reports from people who swore their family needed an unlimited fast pass due to various reasons and anyone who supported changes to reduce the cheaters were being heartless to those who needed the service. There were the same comments about people passing out, throwing up, being a danger to others, etc…due to losing GAC. I haven’t seen that come to fruition, so when the same comments are kicked around now, I have to give them the side eye.

I understand that the very nature of this topic will draw posters who feel they require the current service. And some may feel attacked or offended that their potential loss of the service is being hand waved away by others.

But personal feelings aside, something just has to change. You can’t have 60% of an attractions capacity taken up by 8% of guests. It’s just not fair to that 92% of paying customers who seem to be getting completely ignored because they don’t use the keywords to slide into that 8%. And make no mistake about it, the bulk of the people in that 8% don’t NEED the current service. Will some people who rightfully need the previous accommodations get shafted, yes, but that’s the nature of any rule change you implement anywhere. It’s unavoidable.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

6 Flags requires that some documentation go through a third party, not that's given to themselves. Their system is also currently the subject of a lawsuit.

The third party is also basically a marketing organization, not a medical one, and there's no transparency on their site indicating that anyone with a medical background is reviewing the applications that they receive.

Hence why I referred to IBCCES as theatre earlier in this conversation. Anyone thinking this is any kind of strong "medical review" to qualify for IBCCES is not fully understanding it. IMO, given we have no data on any of this, it's far more likely that lower numbers of people with disabilities going to 6 flags has much more to do with the lack of accessibility of 6 flags parks in general than due to IBCCES.

lazyboy97o

This is currently being challenged in court. The law very much does state that providing proof is to minimized and limited. There are a lot of violations out there and their continued existence is not evidence of compliance.

There were the same comments about people passing out, throwing up, being a danger to others, etc…due to losing GAC. I haven’t seen that come to fruition, so when the same comments are kicked around now, I have to give them the side eye.
There was a period where people with legitimate needs were being denied accommodation because Disney put so much emphasis on autism that DAS was taken to be an accommodation for autism with everything else accommodated by the design of queues. That mistake very much seems to be in play again.

Vegas Disney Fan

But Disneys avoiding this scenario because the laws aren’t clear cut which leads to a lot of interpretation and lawsuits, for people like my girlfriend who can provide decades of medical paperwork it‘s frustrating because it would be an easy solution that would weed out the vast majority of abuse while also showing proof of need, unfortunately Disney has chosen not to ask for paperwork and instead is simply eliminating the option for all but a small list of developmental disabilities, that leaves a lot of people who genuinely need DAS without it.

As I mentioned in my first post DL Paris has required paperwork every time we’ve gone, it’s a much better system, if our laws weren’t so poorly written and confusing it would solve most of the problems.

Happyday

6 Flags requires that some documentation go through a third party, not that's given to themselves. Their system is also currently the subject of a lawsuit.

The third party is also basically a marketing organization, not a medical one, and there's no transparency on their site indicating that anyone with a medical background is reviewing the applications that they receive.

Hence why I referred to IBCCES as theatre earlier in this conversation. Anyone thinking this is any kind of strong "medical review" to qualify for IBCCES is not fully understanding it. IMO, given we have no data on any of this, it's far more likely that lower numbers of people with disabilities going to 6 flags has much more to do with the lack of accessibility of 6 flags parks in general than due to IBCCES.
After reading all the posts about IBCCES I am getting a bit concerned. This is a company that has no privacy agreement like a Medical company would? Correct?
Even though Disney says they don't require documentation at least when you are discussing medical information they will be trained by a medical group and if escalation is necessary it will be with that medical group that is familiar with privacy guidelines.

Angel Ariel

After reading all the posts about IBCCES I am getting a bit concerned. This is a company that has no privacy agreement like a Medical company would? Correct?
Even though Disney says they don't require documentation at least when you are discussing medical information they will be trained by a medical group and if escalation is necessary it will be with that medical group that is familiar with privacy guidelines.
They have privacy terms on their main site as everyone does, but not on the accessibility card site: https://accessibilitycard.org/

It's not a medical company. HIPAA doesn't apply. Inspire Health Alliance may be better, it may not. Won't know for a while 🤷‍♀️

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Again everyone keeps saying lets wait and see how this goes. Maybe its me but i cant see how this can possibly go well at all if there truly are needs where multiple people need to leave these lines which honestly is going to be the case.
That's what I've wondered. If the return to line concept becomes a heavily used option, you will have lots of guests in line wondering why they continue to see people leaving or returning to the line and skipping ahead of them.

It would only make guests frustrated and/or become aware of the return to line policy and perhaps begin to use it as well.

Then we'll get a post from Len about the % of people using the return to line policy and the problems its causing.

lazyboy97o

No - wholeheartedly disagree here. Yelling at cast members is not OK, regardless of frustration level. The hell we've experienced with medical insurance is on a whole other level, and I still don't yell at the entry level people that man the dept to lodge the complaint. Cry? maybe, as frustration needs to go somewhere sometimes. But yelling isn't OK.
Are yelling and raising one’s voice really one and the same? Something like a surprised “What?!” would be said in a raised voice but not yelling, much less the verbal abuse that people are now claiming. Even crying is sometimes at a higher volume than one’s typical speaking voice.

phillip9698

It doesnt need to be a strong medical review. The fact that an otherwise healthy person, in many cases a high schooler, is less likely to make a doctors appointment, fake a disability, receive a signed doctors note, and file it with said company before the trip makes it enough of a deterrent to be effective. Right now all they do is go to a booth and spout off key words they learned on Tik Tok.

Splash4eva

That's what I've wondered. If the return to line concept becomes a heavily used option, you will have lots of guests in line wondering why they continue to see people leaving or returning to the line and skipping ahead of them.

It would only make guests frustrated and/or become aware of the return to line policy and perhaps begin to use it as well.

Then we'll get a post from Len about the % of people using the return to line policy and the problems its causing.
Not only that but how are some people gonna be able to get out of a queue depending on the ride. I truly feel Disney is just hoping people deal with it and never ask to leave a line for whatever reason and praying for the best…

Angel Ariel

Are yelling and raising one’s voice really one and the same? Something like a surprised “What?!” would be said in a raised voice but not yelling, much less the verbal abuse that people are now claiming. Even crying is sometimes at a higher volume than one’s typical speaking voice.
I hear what you're saying (and FTR my crying is quiet lol :) ), but yes they can be. Are they always? No one can speak for every human on the planet 🤷‍♀️ Are front line cast members always going to be in a place to differentiate? Likely, no.

Angel Ariel

It doesnt need to be a strong medical review. The fact that an otherwise healthy person, in many cases a high schooler, is less likely to make a doctors appointment, fake a disability, receive a signed doctors note, and file it with said company before the trip makes it enough of a deterrent to be effective. Right now all they do is go to a booth and spout off key words they learned on Tik Tok.
Do you really not think doctors notes can be faked, especially in this day and age? Especially given that IBCCES' site gives you a link to a database of doctors to search through.

Jenny72

I think the key is plausible deniability. If I am at a self-checkout and, whoops, my package didn't scan right, who can prove it wasn't an accident? If I tell a CM that I am too anxious to wait in line, who can know how much I'm stretching the truth? I mean, I really *do* get anxious.

But a faked document -- now that is an artifact that proves definitively that I'm a liar. A lot fewer people are going to be willing to have that hanging out there with who knows what consequence.

I admit I actually thought that Disney *was* asking for documentation, with the partnership with that health company. So the company is just there to...troubleshoot? I don't get it.

The Mom

Premium Member
If you cannot discuss this topic without being rude or insulting to other posters, please do not participate.

This is a situation where many posters have strong feelings, and may let their emotions take over. Understandable, but not allowed. Just as yelling at a poor CM over this change is understandable, but not acceptable. And taking your frustrations out by being rude on a message board is also not acceptable.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

admit I actually thought that Disney *was* asking for documentation, with the partnership with that health company. So the company is just there to...troubleshoot? I don't get it.
Disney hasn't been very clear, but the basic understanding I've gotten is that Inspire Health Alliance will train CMs on asking thorough questions, and then will be available to CMs if a conversation needs to be sent further up the chain.

ditzee

I think the key is plausible deniability. If I am at a self-checkout and, whoops, my package didn't scan right, who can prove it wasn't an accident? If I tell a CM that I am too anxious to wait in line, who can know how much I'm stretching the truth? I mean, I really *do* get anxious.

But a faked document -- now that is an artifact that proves definitively that I'm a liar. A lot fewer people are going to be willing to have that hanging out there with who knows what consequence.

I admit I actually thought that Disney *was* asking for documentation, with the partnership with that health company. So the company is just there to...troubleshoot? I don't get it.
This is what I think as well because faking a doctor's letter is forgery which can mean not just a permanent ban but also prison. How ironic would it be for a cheater to save a couple of hours standing in line and then end up getting 3-10 years for forgery plus a fine?

TrainsOfDisney

No one should be raising their voice at any CMs or at any other guest at all, much less fighting with them. Dear gods you just keep making it worse. Poor CMs that need to deal with the type of guests you are describing. Those guests should be removed and banned.
I feel like this thread is taking the turn where people are divided and trying to paint one side or the other as the enemy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom