News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I should note that I find Rise to be absurly overrated. Same goes for Flight of Passage. This trend of making a standing portion of an attraction constitute the majority of a ride experience doesn't sit well with me (pun intended). I prefer a ride to be a good 8-15 minutes of sit down and enjoy content. We spend more than enough time walking around the parks (often in sweltering heat for WDW in particular). And then even longer standing in a queue and being herded along. More lengthy rides where you can just sit down, chill and enjoy the experience for a reasonable amount of time are needed. Especially at parks like AK.
While I agree longer *ride time* is always better, the standing queue pre-shows don't take away from the ride time.

Whether FoP or Cosmic, if you removed the standing preshows... you'd still be standing the same amount of time just by being in the queue. The pre-shows are just attempting to entertain you while you're in the queue. Nixing all pre-shows wouldn't change how long you're standing in a queue to get on a ride.

Casper Gutman

I should note that I find Rise to be absurly overrated. Same goes for Flight of Passage. This trend of making a standing portion of an attraction constitute the majority of a ride experience doesn't sit well with me (pun intended). I prefer a ride to be a good 8-15 minutes of sit down and enjoy content. We spend more than enough time walking around the parks (often in sweltering heat for WDW in particular). And then even longer standing in a queue and being herded along. More lengthy rides where you can just sit down, chill and enjoy the experience for a reasonable amount of time are needed. Especially at parks like AK.
I couldn’t agree more. If guests boarded the transports right after the first, Rey-based pre-show Rise would be a much better attraction. It would make narrative sense and you could control guests line of sight and thus make the shuttle and prison escape sections much more impactful (and not have some guests miss the action because of where they’re standing). You would also avoid the odd situation in which the most spectacular room in the attraction is one guests just wander through. Heck, it seems like it would even cut staffing costs.

It’s interesting that this is one of the areas in which Uni and Disney are moving in opposite directions. Uni used to be defined by multiple long, often tedious preshows for short attractions, but they’re cutting way back on those while Disney is leaning into them.

Casper Gutman

While I agree longer *ride time* is always better, the standing queue pre-shows don't take away from the ride time.

Whether FoP or Cosmic, if you removed the standing preshows... you'd still be standing the same amount of time just by being in the queue. The pre-shows are just attempting to entertain you while you're in the queue. Nixing all pre-shows wouldn't change how long you're standing in a queue to get on a ride.
The Cosmic pre-show is actively detrimental to the quality of the overall attraction. It’s really bad - and I love the Guardians and the MCU.

DavidDL

I don't know where I'd draw the line between "pre-show" and "attraction". I guess it depends on the attraction? For me, the Haunted Mansion begins as an attraction the moment you walk in the front door. The stretching room and following hallway I consider part of the attraction, as well. Even though I'm technically still waiting in line at this point, the Haunted Mansion has officially "begun" for me. The experience isn't complete without either of those.

For Rise, same thing. The attraction begins (for me) when we enter the room with BB-8 and Rey's holo transmission.

I guess it's all about the wording. Attraction vs. ride. As an "attraction" or an "experience", Mansion/Rise begin at the aforementioned moments. As a "ride" I guess you could argue they begin once you are seated. But Disney doesn't build "rides", they build attractions. Or at least they do most of the time.

I guess then if it's integral to the ride portion, I consider "pre-shows" like Mansion's stretching room and the transport on Rise as part of the attraction. It doesn't feel complete without it. -and that's not a bad thing. Because if you consider the transport portion of Rise to be part of "standing in line" then hell, standing in line is freaking awesome.

celluloid

Incidentally, that Jurassic World ride at Universal Beijing is really cool. Sort of a marriage between AK's Dinosaur ride and Shanghai DL's Pirates tech. Has screen elements of course, but there's still a good amount of physical scenery and massive and impressive dino animatronics. Not a perfect ride for my tastes as some of my broad gripes with modern attractions still stand, but it's still very cool in its own right. I haven't watched any of the Jurassic World movies either (nor any of the series past the original Jurassic Park), and don't understand the language, so my actual understanding of what is going on is relatively limited. But it STILL seems to work really well regardless of prior knowledge or understanding. Glad to see Universal still sees the value and popularity of dinosaurs. Incredibly stupid that Disney does not.

I visited Universal Orlando as an adult back in 2016-ish, never went to a Uni park before. So no nostalgia talking whatsoever. Discovery Center alone was great. River definitely needs work, even then it was in rough shape and I hear it has gotten much worse.

I hope you get to go back and do Raptor Encounter with the little and big ones there.

A venue I personally have history with.

Brer Panther

Disney is fond of giving us "our" Encanto experience vs the experience of the established characters. What if we find out we're relatives of the Madrigal's and have our very own door to open? The possibilities are more open than many think.
Sooooooooooooo, it won't have anything to do with animals, just like I expected? I doubt they'd give us the same power as Antonio if they go the "we're relatives of the Madrigals" route.
Disney really did just say "F 'em. Let's do Indy again to homogenize our parks further. Instead of doing something better than Universal, let's just send our customers to 'em for their Dino fix." Brilliant!
Thank you. It's clearly just because Disney doesn't have any popular dinosaur IPs.

sedati

Sooooooooooooo, it won't have anything to do with animals, just like I expected? I doubt they'd give us the same power as Antonio if they go the "we're relatives of the Madrigals" route.
No

One

Knows

Yet

I was just saying that despite the panic, there are countless ways the ride and IP can be used to echo Animal Kingdom's basic philosophy:

Intrinsic value of nature
Transformation through adventure
Personal call to action

Soooooooooooooooo, maybe wait and see.

rle4lunch

I'm hopeful for Indy because of what @PREMiERdrum has said, but it's going to be hard to get past the fact that the track layout is the same. We all know there's an UP at the beginning and a DOWN at the end (honestly, I have almost every motion of the track memorized in between as well), so it's going to lack a bit of the spontaneity I look forward to in a NEW ride. That's another reason I dislike rethemes.
Aren't the DL Indy and AK Dino tracks exactly the same? Because if they are, they're 1000% different in enjoyability due to the faster pacing of Indy and soundtrack. And the kinetic effects. Dino is truly a crap boring ride in comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom