News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

JMcMahonEsq

No, It's part of the preshow/queue. I never said it wasn't integral to the experience. I said it isn't part of the ride. What the poster above you said about Haunted Mansion is a pretty apt analogy. The stretching room and other areas are also integral to the experience, but they are not where the ride itself starts. The ride starts when you sit down inside of the main moving vehicle.
It's going to be a personal feeling, so no real "right" or "wrong" answer, but to me the preshow/que feels like part of the ride experience. I mean once we get inside the haunted mansion, I don't feel like i am in line anymore, even if you might have to wait to get on the doom bugy.

Same thing goes for Flight. Once I start the pre-ride and start linking with my avatar, I feel like the line is over, and the ride has begun, even if i am not sitting in locked into the banshee yet.

MerlinTheGoat

I should note that I find Rise to be absurly overrated. Same goes for Flight of Passage. This trend of making a standing portion of an attraction constitute the majority of a ride experience doesn't sit well with me (pun intended). I prefer a ride to be a good 8-15 minutes of sit down and enjoy content. We spend more than enough time walking around the parks (often in sweltering heat for WDW in particular). And then even longer standing in a queue and being herded along. More lengthy rides where you can just sit down, chill and enjoy the experience for a reasonable amount of time are needed. Especially at parks like AK.

DavidDL

... Maybe lowercase-d dinosaur fans'll get a semi-bone thrown at us and IJ will involve a super-cool Quetzalcoatl/Kukulkan AA or something like that. A winged feathered snake isn't a dinosaur but it could have like, the head of one or something... I dunno. ...

As a fellow dinosaur fanatic we just need to come to grips with the reality that Disney doesn't see any potential in some of the most fascinating creatures to ever walk the planet. You know, those beloved creatures that capture the imaginations of children and adults the world over? The ones that open a unique opportunity to be both thrilling and "edutainment" because they're fun to learn about? The animals that helped fulfill Animal Kingdom's original vision of celebrating animals present, past and mythological? The ones with living descendants today that showcase how the animal kingdom is able to adapt and evolve in an ever changing world in order to survive? Worthless, meaningless reptiles the lot of them!

Disney really did just say Let's do Indy again to homogenize our parks further. Instead of doing something better than Universal, let's just send our customers to 'em for their Dino fix." Brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator:

sedati

No, It's part of the preshow/queue. I never said it wasn't integral to the experience. I said it isn't part of the ride. What the poster above you said about Haunted Mansion is a pretty apt analogy. The stretching room and other areas are also integral to the experience, but they are not where the ride itself starts. The ride starts when you sit down inside of the main moving vehicle.
Well, what about Universe of Energy which is touted as a 40 minute ride even though a huge portion of that was watching movies in a static vehicle?

sedati

As a fellow dinosaur fanatic we just need to come to grips with the reality that Disney doesn't see any potential in some of the most fascinating creatures to ever walk the planet. You know, those beloved creatures that capture the imaginations of children and adults the world over? The ones that open a unique opportunity to be both thrilling and "edutainment" because they're fun to learn about? The animals that helped fulfill Animal Kingdom's original vision of celebrating animals present, past and mythological? The ones with living descendants today that showcase how the animal kingdom is able to adapt and evolve in an ever changing world in order to survive? Worthless, meaningless reptiles the lot of them!

Disney really did just say . Let's do Indy again to homogenize our parks further. Instead of doing something better than Universal, let's just send our customers to 'em for their Dino fix." Brilliant!
I hope they revisit the concept of dinosaurs again, but don't go with action or the fossil discovery aspect. Like Pandora, put us in a true primeval world where we can surround ourselves in the majesty of a lost time.

Sadly the Jurassic Park lands don't work for me as far as Dinosaur lands. The T-Rex is great, but Universal falls woefully short in the animatronics department. Hoping we get an update.

Universe of Energy really gave us what I wanted and wish Disney would give us a modern equivalent of that portion. A slow, immersive, journey.

Last edited by a moderator:

X-filed

Could the feathered serpent aka Quetzalcoatl be the new theme of this ride and thus act as the second attraction of the park based on a mythical creature after Expedition Everest (2006)?

Ajouter un titre.png

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Well, what about Universe of Energy which is touted as a 40 minute ride even though a huge portion of that was watching movies in a static vehicle?
At least you're still mercifully sitting down during those parts. The transporter in Rise forces you to stand. But just for argument sake, lets exclude all of the parts that don't explicitly move through the dinosaur scenes. The moving parts were still much longer than Cosmic Rewind's coaster segment.

ToTBellHop

At least you're still mercifully sitting down during those parts. The transporter in Rise forces you to stand. But just for argument sake, lets exclude all of the parts that don't explicitly move through the dinosaur scenes. The moving parts were still much longer than Cosmic Rewind's coaster segment.
Are you suggesting the ride path on UoE was more than a mile long?

MerlinTheGoat

And apples have much less citrus than oranges.
You're the one who randomly brought up Universe of Energy. I just shifted it back into relevancy again by mentioning the ride that directly replaced it. It becomes much easier to compare apples and oranges when one of those fruits is a replacement for the other. I vastly prefer this apple (UoE) to this orange (Cosmic Rewind).

Incidentally, UoE was my least favorite classic Future World ride by a fairly wide margin (even before they stunk it up with the Ellen garbage). Though in hindsight, it was still far better than its replacement IMO. Also sad that dinosaurs are going to suffer a sort of second extinction event by Disney's hand.

Are you suggesting the ride path on UoE was more than a mile long?
Wrong kind of length. I'm discussing time, not space.

celluloid

I hope they revisit the concept of dinosaurs again, but don't go with action or the fossil discovery aspect. Like Pandora, put us in a true primeval world where we can surround ourselves in the majesty of a lost time.

Sadly the Jurassic Park lands don't work for me as far as Dinosaur lands. The T-Rex is great, but Universal falls woefully short in the animatronics department. Hoping we get an update.

Universe of Energy really gave us what I wanted and wish Disney would give us a modern equivalent of that portion. A slow, immersive, journey.

Hatchings in Discovery Center, and Raptor Encounter specifically, are some of the coolest dino experiences ever.
I know upkeep has not always been great, but I find some of the other Jurassic Park River Adventure animatronics to be pretty cool.

MerlinTheGoat

Incidentally, that Jurassic World ride at Universal Beijing is really cool. Sort of a marriage between AK's Dinosaur ride and Shanghai DL's Pirates tech. Has screen elements of course, but there's still a good amount of physical scenery and massive and impressive dino animatronics. Not a perfect ride for my tastes as some of my broad gripes with modern attractions still stand, but it's still very cool in its own right. I haven't watched any of the Jurassic World movies either (nor any of the series past the original Jurassic Park), and don't understand the language, so my actual understanding of what is going on is relatively limited. But it STILL seems to work really well regardless of prior knowledge or understanding. Glad to see Universal still sees the value and popularity of dinosaurs. Incredibly stupid that Disney does not.

Hatchings in Discovery Center, and Raptor Encounter specifically, are some of the coolest dino experiences ever.
I know upkeep has not always been great, but I find some of the other Jurassic Park River Adventure animatronics to be pretty cool.
I visited Universal Orlando as an adult back in 2016-ish, never went to a Uni park before. So no nostalgia talking whatsoever. Discovery Center alone was great. River definitely needs work, even then it was in rough shape and I hear it has gotten much worse.

You're the one who randomly brought up Universe of Energy. I just shifted it back into relevancy again by mentioning the ride that directly replaced it. It becomes much easier to compare apples and oranges when one of those fruits is a replacement for the other. I vastly prefer this apple (UoE) to this orange (Cosmic Rewind).

Incidentally, UoE was my least favorite classic Future World ride by a fairly wide margin (even before they stunk it up with the Ellen garbage). Though in hindsight, it was still far better than its replacement IMO. Also sad that dinosaurs are going to suffer a sort of second extinction event by Disney's hand.

Wrong kind of length. I'm discussing time, not space.
I think UoE was 12 parsecs long...now which am I talking about, time or space?

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Regarding the mix of modern Disney queue story/ride elements - I really appreciate them. I'm on the opinion that as soon as it feels like I'm really within the world/experience of the ride, I feel I'm in the ride. RotR is the best use case for me because I feel the transport scene and walking into the ship and queuing for interrogation is amazing. I too wish Disney would make longer rides again, but I think this is a decent balance.

I don't mind a 4-6 minute main ride, I just really super short rides without any exciting world-building pre shows or queues. Tron is fun, but it's so short and the insider portion is so boring to look at it's nearly a skip for me. I feel the same way about RRC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom