Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

Dcgc28

Obviously expectations are always tempered but the current crop of rumors make me really happy for my favorite WDW park.

Just need them to trot Rhode out to make the announcements and I'll vote for whoever Iger wants for every future shareholder meeting.

(I'm just so happy we avoided Zootopia)
I know it’s wild to think a movie about animals would go in the park about animals lol

Instead we get Indiana Jones because apparently it’s still 1989 and Encanto because that is definitely a story that fits in the zoological world of Animal Kingdom.

Luigi

I know it’s wild to think a movie about animals would go in the park about animals lol

Instead we get Indiana Jones because apparently it’s still 1989 and Encanto because that is definitely a story that fits in the zoological world of Animal Kingdom.
How does Kali River Rapids fit into the zoological world of Animal Kingdom?

UNCgolf

Zootopia isn't about animals.

Not that Indiana Jones or Encanto are either, but at least they aren't set in a modern metropolis. A Tropical Americas general area theme is definitely a good fit.

Last edited:

Luigi

There were animals in the forest before the evil loggers took away their habitat.
Thats a stretch to make it work as an "animal based" ride.
Another day one tenet of AK is celebrating and conserving the local culture of the area.

Until you know the story of the Encanto ride, which takes place in the Tropical Americas, no one can say it doesn't fit.
It will most likely be celebrating the culture of the area. Which makes it fit.

Brer Oswald

I don’t think AK is particularly in need of more E-tickets. They desperately need more family-friendly rides. I’d rather them spend their budget on multiple C-tickets over one E
It doesn't need any more E ticket thrills. However, an E ticket boat ride (something like Disneyland's Pirates or Splash without the major drop) could do wonders for the park. If it's another Navi River sized deal, that would be a huge missed opportunity.

TimeDuck

This is such a reductive and obtuse argument for why Zootopia fits. I'm not really a fan of the IP but I have nothing against it either. The Aristocats are about animals, Turning Red is about an animal, Animal Farm is about animals - would those make equal sense?

What I was against is a vibrant metropolitan city being dumped into Animal Kingdom. Not even talking about the rides or contents of the lands, the current "Tropical Americas" concept is objectively and obviously a much better aesthetic fit for the park than what they were proposing before. The same way Avatar was despite also having nothing to do with animals.

fgmnt

Animal Kingdom's theme isn't just "animals." Here's Joe Rohde's tweet

Also why ultimately I am glad we never got Beastly Kingdom and instead got Pandora, and why I think a redo on the southeast corner of the park can be a net positive. Pandora was executed as a pitch perfect fantastic adventure that meets the theme of the theme park and why I think it’s become the third best theme park in the chain.

I do think it’s possible you can build everything rumored and announces in Animal Kingdom and still keep this consistent. Jury isn’t even seated, much less in, on the verdict on these upcoming changes.

denyuntilcaught

Animal Kingdom's theme isn't just "animals." Here's Joe Rohde's tweet

I love DAK's theme, but I get why the general population and even a wide swath of Disney fans think the theme is just animals it's Disney's Animal Kingdom and not Disney's Nature Kingdom, after all.

I've always found the theme and its nuances hard to articulate outside of these circles. Even EPCOT's theme, which I'd say is the second most sophisticated, is much more straight forward.

imagineer97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Also why ultimately I am glad we never got Beastly Kingdom and instead got Pandora, and why I think a redo on the southeast corner of the park can be a net positive. Pandora was executed as a pitch perfect fantastic adventure that meets the theme of the theme park and why I think it’s become the third best theme park in the chain.

I do think it’s possible you can build everything rumored and announces in Animal Kingdom and still keep this consistent. Jury isn’t even seated, much less in, on the verdict on these upcoming changes.
Beastly Kingdom would have been great, and no one can change my mind on that.

MerlinTheGoat

Joe Rohde is a great imagineer, but he can also definitely be a bit of a BS-er when trying to justify certain things he's been involved in that don't fit or have lapses in quality. The park as it was conceptualized and originally designed was absolutely about animals. Conservation and nature was a clear part of that, but that also fed into the main theme of animals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom