Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disstevefan1

There are multiple families in my kid's kindergarten class alone that have used an "online tour guide company" to book "fastpasses" for them while they're in the parks. I was very confused about how this was possible with the Genie+ system until I did some digging and it turns out they are really just selling DAS access. I had no idea this was a thing but it's become a huge problem, hence the changes.
As we know, Disney trespassed many, if not all, of these "tour guides".

They even trespassed legitimate third party tour guides who use Genie+ properly and did not use any front of the line tricks.

It's really funny to me how money keeps being brought up as Disney's motivator. Like it's somehow a revelation no one else has thought about.

Because, duh.

If there are less DAS users unexpectedly going into the LLs, that means Stand-by lines move faster (note, this doesn't necessarily mean they will be shorter, or that instead of 1 hr they will take 40 min, just that the ratio of LL vs Stand-by will be less), and if Stand-by keeps moving instead of having guests stand still for 10 mins because there is suddenly 300 unexpected guests in LL then Stand-by guests are happier, happy guests spend money and book more vacations.

Less DAS guests in the LLs means Disney can control the amount of G+ it sells better. The better Genie+ works the happier Genie+ guests are. Happy guests spend money and book more vacations.

It's not rocket science. Its simply that having less DAS users is better for everyone, including guests who truly need DAS to be able to go to Disney Parks.

Disstevefan1

Given Disney’s clear bar on commercial activity on property or in the parks, I’m struggling to see how there are “legitimate third party tour guides”
This could be totally fake news, but I saw on YouTube a story about a long running third party tour guide who asked, and apparently got permission, from Disney to operate and over the years built a business, and all at once was trespassed.

This tour guide apparently played by the rules, never skipped and queues, did exactly what a regular guest would do, just did it for the guests that employed them.

But yes, in your view, and now in Disney's view, suddenly, this business is not allowed to serve their customers.

I get it, Now that the failed Genie+ system in place, Disney's tour guides CAN MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY and they don't want the these long running businesses (that costs less) cutting into Disney's business.

Remember, its all about MONEY.

Last edited:

phillip9698

It's really funny to me how money keeps being brought up as Disney's motivator. Like it's somehow a revelation no one else has thought about.

Because, duh.

If there are less DAS users unexpectedly going into the LLs, that means Stand-by lines move faster (note, this doesn't necessarily mean they will be shorter, or that instead of 1 hr they will take 40 min, just that the ratio of LL vs Stand-by will be less), and if Stand-by keeps moving instead of having guests stand still for 10 mins because there is suddenly 300 unexpected guests in LL then Stand-by guests are happier, happy guests spend money and book more vacations.

Less DAS guests in the LLs means Disney can control the amount of G+ it sells better. The better Genie+ works the happier Genie+ guests are. Happy guests spend money and book more vacations.

It's not rocket science. Its simply that having less DAS users is better for everyone, including guests who truly need DAS to be able to go to Disney Parks.

I agree 100% with this. I enjoy a queue that is constantly moving but may be a bit longer than one that is empty until half way and then comes to a complete stop and doesn’t move for long stretches of time.

It defeats the purpose of all the work they put into the queue if you speed past half of it and then linger in one area for large stretches of time.

Last edited:

el_super

Disney knows and understands the level of abuse, and is taking steps to fix it.

You know this "Disney is always right thing" is pretty clever. I think I'm going to have to remember that for later...

Of course it's about money... what's funny though is thinking that some additional G+ sales are somehow worth risking multi-million dollar class action lawsuits. The math will always work out to granting access and allowing a few cheaters in than denying someone who really needs it. It's not just the easy thing to do, but based on how the ADA was written it's the legally right thing to do. It's why stories like this exist:

Disstevefan1

Because, duh.

Lets see what happens in reality.

My guess there will be no significant change in queues.

It doesn't matter, Disney is changing the system, like it or not, and YES because MONEY.

As you say its not rocket science, but this silly return to line sounds like its gonna be a trainwreck.

Of course it's about money... what's funny though is thinking that some additional G+ sales are somehow worth risking multi-million dollar class action lawsuits. The math will always work out to granting access and allowing a few cheaters in than denying someone who really needs it. It's not just the easy thing to do, but based on how the ADA was written it's the legally right thing to do. It's why stories like this exist:

And that's Disney's risk to take. I think that their army of lawyers are prepared.

FYI amputation is a mobility issue. IMO the only reason they gave the woman in the video a DAS was so that she would stop making a scene. Probably one of the reasons there are so many guests using DAS that don't need it.

RamblinWreck

It doesn't matter, Disney is changing the system, like it or not, and YES because MONEY.

As you say its not rocket science, but this silly return to line sounds like its gonna be a trainwreck.
I don't think the return to line feature will work very well at all.

But the rider switch feature will, and it will accommodate people very well.

We shall see if Disney proves you right or wrong.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
You know this "Disney is always right thing" is pretty clever. I think I'm going to have to remember that for later...

This is user error. I’m not a pixie duster, but they can’t read your mind. How were they supposed to know she couldn’t sit for a long time either when she didn’t tell them?

Last edited by a moderator:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Fine. I'm just gonna build my own. Then I can make the rules.

1713450273441.png

Just started reading it..........

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
And that's Disney's risk to take. I think that their army of lawyers are prepared.

FYI amputation is a mobility issue. IMO the only reason they gave the woman in the video a DAS was so that she would stop making a scene. Probably one of the reasons there are so many guests using DAS that don't need it.

She told the video chat people she needed it because she couldn’t stand a long time. Then when she was upset she called the News and told them it was preposterous because she also couldn’t sit for long.

I would guess that GS gave it to her in the park because she shared both bits with them. Not because she caused a scene and they caved

ConfettiCupcake

I think there will be a change in queues that we can actually see because like you said, MONEY.

I think it’s no coincidence it’s been radio silence on these supposed Genie+ changes, I thought it was pretty well assumed that they needed to get DAS under better control in order to make changes to Genie+. We might not always like what they’re doing as fans and guests but to think they do these things blindly and for nothing is I think incorrect. I think they know what they’re doing will free up LL capacity, and in turn will make space for them to (hopefully) make Genie+ a more tolerable product, as well as decrease the amount of time DAS users spend in LL lines as well.

MickeyLuv'r

The problem here needs to be addressed analytically; feeling bad isn't going to solve anything. I'm frustrated because much of what has been said here about the ADA requirements is not true - it's nothing more than wishful thinking which helps nothing. Maybe it's the frustration that sounds harsh. People often believe the law protects them to a much greater degree than it actually does.

Disney simply cannot continue with its current policies. As noted earlier, the ADA does not address line accommodations. Disney tried GAC and then DAS and both were unsustainable, not only because of abuse, but also because of an aging population and more persons coming within the ADA definition of disabled.

Disney's between a rock and a hard place. If the statistics set out earlier in this thread are even close to accurate (and I believe they are because they are in line with the type of evidence presented in A.L. v. Walt Disney World Resorts), Disney's going to lose not only its disabled guests but everyone else as well if it doesn't handle this problem.

It seems that Disney is trying to get many of the people who had DAS back into lines with another, lesser accommodation that - even if it's not DAS - might work for them. We don't know, and it's possible Disney doesn't want to say too much too soon to avoid tipping off potential abusers.

Emotions can run high in a thread like this one and one thoughtless response (of which I am guilty) can lead to more of the same.
What I am reading- in this thread is the partly the justifiable frustration we all feel when we have to wait in a long line.

@goofeynmost long ago made an observation that has stuck with me. He got flack for it at the time, but he stated he didn't mind waiting in a queue as long as it moved. He also observed that a two line system of haves (LL) and havenots (Standby) is almost certain to create tension. This was before G+. but he loved the idea of one line for everyone.

As I recall, you posted back to describe how FP helped your family. You made some excellent points.

When we are stuck in a line that does not move, it is frustrating. The problem, as I see it, is the two line system itself. It is 100% guaranteed to cause frustration. G+ has only made the division worse.

Alas, the genie is out of the bottle. If WDW goes back to a one-line system that's also going to make parkgoers unhappy.

There's no easy fix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom