News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

UNCgolf

I'm surprised Disney is doing this, and I think it's a mistake.

This feels close to Disney just throwing in the towel on the whole issue. We obviously don't know the specific details of the proposed settlement yet -- so there could be mechanisms in place that protect Disney -- but from what's been revealed thus far DeSantis/CFTOD are getting just about everything they'd want and Disney is getting almost nothing.

I can't imagine recommending this if I was part of Disney's legal team, absent underlying issues we don't know about (which is certainly possible).

Surferboy567

I wasn’t trying to call you out. I was just sort of commiserating about engaging in an online forum when you are an expert and are interacting with people who have strong opinions but aren’t.

For me it involves mental health stuff and hoo boy the stuff people say to me is absurd.
I realize you probably weren't trying to single any one person out. I’m happy that you said made a general comment though because it led to my comment. Definitely never want to ”come off“ as an expert on things I don’t know. Just trying to add some discussion to a topic I feel passionate about. I’m not here to come off as annoying, troll or as a pest.

Now if we are talking about a more specific Disney topic, then I’d love to come off as an expert :).

Chi84

Premium Member
The board has still not identified why or how the comprehensive plan needs to change. Disney now assuming that they will address this undefined issue in good faith is foolish.
Everything likely will be done privately now in furtherance of the settlement agreement. There will be no more informative public pleadings.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The board has still not identified why or how the comprehensive plan needs to change. Disney now assuming that they will address this undefined issue in good faith is foolish.

On that issue it’s much more near term and likely where the real concessions are. My guess is disney gets to write the new plan with the behind the scenes folks and the puppet board just pushes it through. But by making it all look like normal vs contested… both sides get some win.

Florida wants ghe business and looks like the victor… they can claim they are the basis for all this growth potential… and disney gets what they need to drive the corporate engine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Everything likely will be done privately now in furtherance of the settlement agreement. There will be no more informative public pleadings.

The settlement can’t change governance laws of Florida.

What will change is who consults on the source material

drnilescrane

On that iisue it’s much more near term and likely where the real concessions are. My guess is disney gets to write the new plan with the behind ghe scenes folks and the puppet board just pushes it through. But by making it all look like normal vs contested… both sides get some win.

With the added benefit of an extra arms length between Disney and any action the district takes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're saying they should "shut up and play"? I mean, that seems to be the plan, they'll still make their "wOkE" stuff, they just won't get loud about it.

Which if you think about it means the crazy zealots won.
In an ideal world? No

But we live in a practical world. And the tact in the state coupled with a cooked judiciary didn’t allow for much wiggle.

Disney wasn’t wrong. Not for a second. This was a 101% stunt…then converted for a fundraising pitch - mostly by a disgraced buffoon with no future.
They could have kept it going…but the end results probably were gauged to not make much more sense then than now.

Now it will be spun as “we can build you that ride you want that I never would agree to build you before…please vote for me. Love, Bob”
Not really.
There is a clear loser here…but they’ll figure out a way to mitigate the damage

Cliff

So half us here KNEW this day would come and we KNEW it would end like this. The other half swore up and down that Disney had the legal and MORAL high ground and that their spectacularly powerful legal army would crush the State of Florida and make it regret the day it ever challenged Disney and it's RCID government.

RCID,...and the "self-dealing" way it was originally crafted, was a bad idea from day one and Florida rightfully changed it to a better and more "normal" special taxing district configuration.

I'm guessing the Disney and RCID financial investigations by the State Investigator General will also stop now? Or, will that part continue??

Yeah,...this ending is a ZERO surprise to half of us here.

Last edited:

Dranth

I'm surprised Disney is doing this, and I think it's a mistake.

This feels close to Disney just throwing in the towel on the whole issue. We obviously don't know the specific details of the proposed settlement yet -- so there could be mechanisms in place that protect Disney -- but from what's been revealed thus far DeSantis/CFTOD are getting just about everything they'd want and Disney is getting almost nothing.

I can't imagine recommending this if I was part of Disney's legal team, absent underlying issues we don't know about (which is certainly possible).
Going to try and keep this more general this time so as to avoid the great cleansing but it all depends on what they got on the back end of this.

What we do know:
- A new head of the board was suddenly brought in who, while still a doner, at least has more in-depth knowledge to how a district like this should be run and has a history of working with Disney.
- Changes were made to the bill that started this fight to begin with.
- Disney is not dropping the federal appeal which, despite the belief of some on here, they had a good chance to win given how the appeals courts have treated decisions coming from that judge of late. Anyone who doesn't think the state was looking at that trend when thinking about negotiating is just wrong.

I wouldn't call it a win for Disney but if they get a slightly altered version of the development agreement pushed through, they will take that as it locks down the board in a pretty significant way. If the new agreement isn't to their liking, then the lawsuit gets picked back up. If the board breaks the new agreement after it is signed, a new lawsuit is filled.

I also wouldn't call if much of a win for the state either. They get to brag about a win publicly but don't get anything they claimed to have wanted when they started all this. The only thing they are ending up with is a governor appointed board that is bound by an agreement Disney must approve or we are back in court.

It's not satisfying to any of us who think what happened was an abuse of power but from a business and political perspective, it makes sense for both sides to move on as it wasn't helping either side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom