Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
So today was decision day, it was either do 11 and go with Galloway, or do 13 and go with Higdon....I did 12, bought myself another few days lol.
Whichever you choose, you are light years ahead of me right now!

It kind of snuck up on me, but just realized I’ve got a trail run this weekend that I also just realized is 13.1 miles and 3000 ft elevation gain (last year it was a 9-miler, same elevation, I signed up like 6 months ago and didn’t notice the change). Fortunately, I’ve gotten seventeen solid miles of summer training since mid-June:
141F96CA-67CB-49A1-95ED-A5B20BDDD631.png

So, I guess you could say my training plan is developing into the trusty “Pfft… let’s wing it and see what happens and hope I don’t get injured” training method 😜

Surferboy567

Due to a weird training schedule between Wine & Dine and Springtime Surprise. I may run my virtual WDW Half tomorrow. As it’s the only time in my training cycle that I’m going to reach miles close to a half marathon.

I’m also running a 5K, and 10K virtually. I plan on running those close to or actually on the date.

EDIT: I am also running the Virtual Princess 5K + Challenge. I plan on honoring the challenge for that and running them consecutively. Closer to or on the dates depending on weather as well as training cycle.

Surferboy567

I did in fact run my virtual 2023 Walt Disney World Half Marathon today. These are my stats for today's virtual run.

Time: 2:46
Distance: 13.12
Avg Pace: 12:42

It was a very close effort, but I didn't set a new PR today (and I am fine with that) my current PR (not counting treadmill runs) was set in 2021. I managed to complete that year's Virtual Walt Disney World Half Marathon in 2:40, only 6 minutes shy of today's race. Not a bad effort, excited to receive my medal and submit my time in January. The 5K and 10K will be run closer to the actual event or on the date. Since I am not running any kind of virtual challenge, I can split up the distances as I see fit. Virtual princess is a little bit of a different story.

This run was part of my Wine & Dine training (in-person) and with today's run it officially ends my long runs. This week is a rest week and then that will complete the pre-training besides one maintenance run the week after.

Greenlawler

I did in fact run my virtual 2023 Walt Disney World Half Marathon today. These are my stats for today's virtual run.

It was a very close effort, but I didn't set a new PR today (and I am fine with that) my current PR (not counting treadmill runs) was set in 2021. I managed to complete that year's Virtual Walt Disney World Half Marathon in 2:40, only 6 minutes shy of today's race. Not a bad effort, excited to receive my medal and submit my time in January. The 5K and 10K will be run closer to the actual event or on the date. Since I am not running any kind of virtual challenge, I can split up the distances as I see fit. Virtual princess is a little bit of a different story.

This run was part of my Wine & Dine training (in-person) and with today's run it officially ends my long runs. This week is a rest week and then that will complete the pre-training besides one maintenance run the week after.

Congrats. Makes perfect sense to do it as a part of triaining for another race ;)

OG Runner

I was always better prepared with Higdon over Galloway.

Honestly, I do think age might factor into it. When I was younger I would run every day. (mostly)
When I ran my first marathon at 16 years old I felt fine and had very little soreness. I started running
indoor track a couple of weeks later. Not quite the same bounce back now. Higdon is a more intense
training plan. If you can do it, it is great and you should not have a problem with the actual race.

OG Runner

This is exactly why I "HATE" virtual races. Do did not run the 2023 Walt Disney Half Marathon. You had, on the basis of your time
and distance, a good training run. I don't care if you paid for the medal you will get in the mail, but going out for a 13.1 mile run
two months before the race is not running the race. Feel free to block my response as much as you want, but it is the truth of it.

Rteetz

This is exactly why I "HATE" virtual races. Do did not run the 2023 Walt Disney Half Marathon. You had, on the basis of your time
and distance, a good training run. I don't care if you paid for the medal you will get in the mail, but going out for a 13.1 mile run
two months before the race is not running the race. Feel free to block my response as much as you want, but it is the truth of it.
You’re entitled to your opinion on virtual races but to tell someone that their virtual race doesn’t count or is invalid is flat out wrong.

I ran a virtual marathon in 2020 when there were no races to get me guaranteed entry into the NYC Marathon. Don’t tell me I didn’t run a marathon. It was the hardest marathon I’ve done because of the lack of support.

OG Runner

You’re entitled to your opinion on virtual races but to tell someone that their virtual race doesn’t count or is invalid is flat out wrong.

I ran a virtual marathon in 2020 when there were no races to get me guaranteed entry into the NYC Marathon. Don’t tell me I didn’t run a marathon. It was the hardest marathon I’ve done because of the lack of support.

What you did was a special circumstance and I am sure for a lot of reasons it was more difficult. I feel you should be congratulated for doing it. Stating you ran the 2023 Half Marathon two months before the actual race is not the same. You are right it is my opinion and
I am sorry that you cannot see the difference between what you did, (ran virtually when that was the only way to run the race), and running a half marathon, (when it was convenient), saying you ran a specific race.

lukacseven

Personally, I do not do runDisney events for the medal or shirt. For me it's about the experience - the expo, meeting other runners, a specific course, date, time and the privilege of an experience that I otherwise can't get anywhere else. Whether it's 5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2, 39.3, 48.6, it's a great personal accomplishment wherever/whenever it is, but for some people it's just different.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Personally, I do not do runDisney events for the medal or shirt. For me it's about the experience - the expo, meeting other runners, a specific course, date, time and the privilege of an experience that I otherwise can't get anywhere else. Whether it's 5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2, 39.3, 48.6, it's a great personal accomplishment wherever/whenever it is, but for some people it's just different.

Not everyone has the luxury of time to participate in on property races. And sometimes life happens. So if rD gives runners the option, it's no one's concern but that individual runner. I wish rD would provide the option to switch from an on property to a virtual race, if something catastrophic happens. Like a hurricane.

The were people on my cruise last weekend that couldn't get to Port Canaveral due to Hurricane Nicole. DCL delayed boarding and departure so that passengers could arrive safely. And was probably refunding those who just couldn't get there due to flight cancellations and MCO closing until early afternoon the day before departure.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
What you did was a special circumstance and I am sure for a lot of reasons it was more difficult. I feel you should be congratulated for doing it. Stating you ran the 2023 Half Marathon two months before the actual race is not the same. You are right it is my opinion and
I am sorry that you cannot see the difference between what you did, (ran virtually when that was the only way to run the race), and running a half marathon, (when it was convenient), saying you ran a specific race.
I get it, I personally only did them when on-site was not an option, but it really does come down to personal preference and to each their own. A lot of the reason I don’t do any more virtual is that you reach a point where you’ve got more medals and t-shirts than you know what to do with and have done lots of on site races already.

Virtual can be a good way to get excited about running as someone is first getting into running (don’t be that guy that has to rain on their parade), or building up savings/vacation to eventually race on-site, or just because they enjoy it. Whether it’s a couple of months before or after doesn’t much matter, runDisney gives a hugely liberal finishing window if I remember correctly, so it’s not really valid to say it doesn’t count if not run at the same time as the on-site race (you certainly won’t have your medal anytime close to then anyway).

As for training runs, anything can be considered training or a race. Many folks (including me) plan participation in races to coincide with training. Does my recent half marathon in Asheville not count because I signed up for it specifically because it coincided with my training for NYC? I did the distance and treated it as a race beforehand just like those that do a virtual as part of their training for something bigger.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom