The Great Movie Ride II - Hype/Discussion Thread

MickeyMouse10

The Munsters looks like , I won't even watch it for free on Peacock. They should have gone with someone else, this guy doesn't know what he's doing.

Why is it that Rob Zombie has a bigger budget now, but his movies still look like they cost a dollar fifty to make? Also I'd like it if he stopped putting his wife in things ... she sucks. Amber Heard is a better actress. ... AMBER HEARD!

Last edited:

Chaos Cat

I AM GOING TO COMBUST
challenger_approaching_template_by_schmendan_d9v38jg-fullview.jpg

WOW, THIS IS A MASSIVE SHAKE UP TO THE ANIMATION INDURSTY! Regardless of how this plays out, it'll be nice to have major animated movie that aren't from the same three companies (Disney, Universal, Sony).

(I also wonder if this was spurred on by Nintendo being dissatisfied with Illumination's work on the Mario movie, since I've haven't heard a single encouraging thing about that)

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Marvel dropping some bombs at SDCC tonight. Maybe there is an actual plan after all? Lol
Still a lot of work to do to fix some of Phase 4 missteps, but hard to not get excited (for me anyway).
Blade we knew (one of the biggies for me), but Daredevil, a Capt America film and then later 2 Avengers films in '25 on the docket? And love the early look at Wakanda Forever.

spacemt354

Chili's
Marvel dropping some bombs at SDCC tonight. Maybe there is an actual plan after all? Lol
Still a lot of work to do to fix some of Phase 4 missteps, but hard to not get excited (for me anyway).
Blade we knew (one of the biggies for me), but Daredevil, a Capt America film and then later 2 Avengers films in '25 on the docket? And love the early look at Wakanda Forever.
I've become pretty nonplussed with Phase 4 so far. On one hand there have been some real winners such as Shang-Chi and No Way Home.

But then I've found the last two sequels, Dr. Strange and Thor, to be below-average. They both feel like assembly line films with nothing of substance to offer except to rake in the box office.

Flashback to 2014 and Captain America: The Winter Solider and Guardians of the Galaxy were the only Marvel products of that year, and both stood on their own as creative entries into the larger world that you had to see because they offered up something worth-while.

Part of me wishes Marvel would go back to that 2 film format. But at the same time now I just pick and choose what to see and what to wait for on Disney+, or what to skip entirely. Which kind of takes the fun out of it for me as Marvel used to be an event, but now it feels more like an assignment.

The Secret Wars announcement was great but I wouldn't be surprised if that it eventually pushed back into 2026 or things are altered along the way. This reminds me of that El Capitan announcement they did in the fall of 2014 for Phase 3 and that ended up changing many times over.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
I've become pretty nonplussed with Phase 4 so far. On one hand there have been some real winners such as Shang-Chi and No Way Home.

But then I've found the last two sequels, Dr. Strange and Thor, to be below-average. They both feel like assembly line films with nothing of substance to offer except to rake in the box office.

Flashback to 2014 and Captain America: The Winter Solider and Guardians of the Galaxy were the only Marvel products of that year, and both stood on their own as creative entries into the larger world that you had to see because they offered up something worth-while.

Part of me wishes Marvel would go back to that 2 film format. But at the same time now I just pick and choose what to see and what to wait for on Disney+, or what to skip entirely. Which kind of takes the fun out of it for me as Marvel used to be an event, but now it feels more like an assignment.

The Secret Wars announcement was great but I wouldn't be surprised if that it eventually pushed back into 2026 or things are altered along the way. This reminds me of that El Capitan announcement they did in the fall of 2014 for Phase 3 and that ended up changing many times over.

Don't disagree on the assignment portion. While I love the variety of characters, 3-4 movies and 3-4 shows a year has gotten to be too much. They are losing all of the novelty/newness aspect of seeing a Marvel property. Doing so much makes it that more likely a chunk of what you put out is not gonna hit. I'd love to see it toned down to a somewhat tamer mixture. Ive probably enjoyed the Phase 4 D+ shows more than the films. About to start from the beginning with the kid, so imagine we'll be done in a year or two.

I fear they are doing they same thing with SW as well, at least from a D+ perspective.

spacemt354

Chili's
Don't disagree on the assignment portion. While I love the variety of characters, 3-4 movies and 3-4 shows a year has gotten to be too much. They are losing all of the novelty/newness aspect of seeing a Marvel property. Doing so much makes it that more likely a chunk of what you put out is not gonna hit. I'd love to see it toned down to a somewhat tamer mixture. Ive probably enjoyed the Phase 4 D+ shows more than the films. About to start from the beginning with the kid, so imagine we'll be done in a year or two.

I fear they are doing they same thing with SW as well, at least from a D+ perspective.
Yeah the more content also makes the universe feel more disconnected.

I also think the Multiverse has been poorly explained so far. We've had Loki, No Way Home, and Dr. Strange - yet each one of those, imo, defined the multiverse differently.

In Loki - they introduced the TVA pruning variants and He Who Remains determining the fate of the MCU timeline, and then it ends with all the other timelines are colliding.

In No Way Home, you had a spell that opened up branches to other Spider-Men, and also the villains, but nobody else. And no TVA to be seen.

In Dr. Strange, we learn that traveling to other multiverses risks causing an incursion event to wipe out both universes, yet traveling through the multiverse is the power set of America Chavez? And not even a passing connection to Loki or the TVA mentioned.

Ironically I feel like What If? gave the most simple explanation of the multiverse that made sense.

Suchomimus

In Dr. Strange, we learn that traveling to other multiverses risks causing an incursion event to wipe out both universes, yet traveling through the multiverse is the power set of America Chavez?
If there’s anything else inconsistent about the multiverse here, it’s that America stays on Earth 616 to practice the Mystic Arts, instead of looking for her moms and/or going back to her universe. You’d think that Strange would; after being to two other universes and being both told and shown the inherent consequences of multiverse hopping that he wouldn’t want the same thing to happen to his universe.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
If there’s anything else inconsistent about, it’s that America stays on Earth 616 to practice the Mystic Arts, instead of looking for her moms and/or going back to her universe. You’d think that Strange would; after being to two other universes and being both told and shown the inherent consequences of multiverse hopping that he wouldn’t want the same thing to happen to his universe.
Also the whole 'dreams are a portal to your multiversal self' doesn't make sense in the same universe as Tony Stark who was having nightmares and PTSD about the Battle of New York. It makes sense in isolation for a Dr. Strange film but not in the established MCU.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
Yeah the more content also makes the universe feel more disconnected.

I also think the Multiverse has been poorly explained so far. We've had Loki, No Way Home, and Dr. Strange - yet each one of those, imo, defined the multiverse differently.

In Loki - they introduced the TVA pruning variants and He Who Remains determining the fate of the MCU timeline, and then it ends with all the other timelines are colliding.

In No Way Home, you had a spell that opened up branches to other Spider-Men, and also the villains, but nobody else. And no TVA to be seen.

In Dr. Strange, we learn that traveling to other multiverses risks causing an incursion event to wipe out both universes, yet traveling through the multiverse is the power set of America Chavez? And not even a passing connection to Loki or the TVA mentioned.

Ironically I feel like What If? gave the most simple explanation of the multiverse that made sense.
In my current headcanon the explanation is that timelines and the multiverse aren’t the same thing. Doesn’t clear up all the issues and makes it way more complicated, but it resolves a few things.

spacemt354

Chili's
In my current headcanon the explanation is that timelines and the multiverse aren’t the same thing. Doesn’t clear up all the issues and makes it way more complicated, but it resolves a few things.
No they were never the same thing. That's not where the confusion lies for me - it's that the last two multiverse films broke the supposed rules that lead to incursions but had no repercussions. The answer to that I'm sure is they didn't have repercussions...yet, but in a film called the Multiverse of Madness I was hoping for a bit more than a quick 2 hour cog in a larger story.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
No they were never the same thing. That's not where the confusion lies for me - it's that the last two multiverse films broke the supposed rules that lead to incursions but had no repercussions. The answer to that I'm sure is they didn't have repercussions...yet, but in a film called the Multiverse of Madness I was hoping for a bit more than a quick 2 hour cog in a larger story.
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom