Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Epcot82Guy

Also I'm realizing this only after I already typed it, but if Universal had built this ride for Mario Kart I'm pretty sure people would be calling it one of the best rides on the planet. this would've been a flawless Mario Kart.

Someone hire me, I have no engineering, architectural, or artistic experience but I have ideas like ^that^

It also would have had a clear Mario Kart story and been placed in the new Mario section of Super Nintendo Land, not Toon Lagoon or next to Men in Black because Yoshi visited USF when he first hatched. (And, it probably cost $100M less - let alone build out time.)

Again, there isn't a ton of criticism of the ride itself. The majority of criticisms are about the theme, cost/budget cut results and the erosion of Epcot. And, the end product, while fun, didn't justify all that.

Clopin Trouillefou

It also would have had a clear Mario Kart story and been placed in the new Mario section of Super Nintendo Land, not Toon Lagoon or next to Men in Black because Yoshi visited USF when he first hatched. (And, it probably cost $100M less - let alone build out time.)

Again, there isn't a ton of criticism of the ride itself. The majority of criticisms are about the theme, cost/budget cut results and the erosion of Epcot. And, the end product, while fun, didn't justify all that.

No no, just to be clear, my original post wasn't about people praising universal/criticizing Disney, I apologize for the confusion.

What I wanted to convey is that the ride mechanism is absolutely perfect for a Mario Kart attraction. very fast, you drift like a racecar, and you could have all sorts of fireballs/blue shells/etc. projected all over the place. if the criticism of the actual Mario Kart attraction is that it's not "mario kart" enough, this really would've done it (I've not been on Mario Kart).

Incomudro

That is exactly what Bob and Josh are banking on. "Ooo, look - Shiny new thing!"
Yes, that's so terrible.
Fun for the purpose of fun.
I only wish I had a fraction of the critical and analytical functions of some of the posters here, so that I could judge every ride by a numerical ratings system, and surround myself with people who think similarly.
What a pleasure that would make the theme park experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's not an "82" in terms of the Xandarian written language. Maybe to our human eyes it looks like it, but it doesn't directly translate
It's either 82 or SA...

1652976013905.png

I haven't found an extension of this font into the numbers.

mergatroid

Yes, that's so terrible.
Fun for the purpose of fun.
I only wish I had a fraction of the critical and analytical functions of some of the posters here, so that I could judge every ride by a numerical ratings system, and surround myself with people who think similarly.
What a pleasure that would make the theme park experience.
We appear to have reached the stage with some where there's no rating a new attraction anymore by riding it, because if the guest enjoys it then that can be dismissed by the 'Ooo, look - Shiny new thing phenomenon'? Strangely this phenomenon only affects Disney new rides, other park new attractions are immune to this and can be judged just by riding and enjoying them ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We appear to have reached the stage with some where there's no rating a new attraction anymore by riding it, because if the guest enjoys it then that can be dismissed by the 'Ooo, look - Shiny new thing phenomenon'? Strangely this phenomenon only affects Disney new rides, other park new attractions are immune to this and can be judged just by riding and enjoying them ;)
I agree with you…in principle 👍🏻

Epcot82Guy

You are seeing the shadow side of nostalgia and brand. Look at how the new Star Wars movies did with the fan base. Many people liked it, but it had a ton of criticism (some valid, some not). When you are a nostalgia-based company, you get greater skepticism when you start to mess with the nostalgia - especially in a fast and hurried way.

Other companies (down the road) don't have that nostalgia built, so they admittedly get judged by a different standard. And, that has pros and cons.

I'm not saying that is right or wrong. Rather than Disney, deep down, is now a nostalgia company pretending to be a luxury lifestyle company. Nostalgia takes a different management style, especially when you are talking physical spaces vs. films or marketing displays. Those that are most successful know how to play into as many streams of nostalgia as possible. But, that takes a different type of creative than those that drive more immediate (but often shorter-term) popularity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are seeing the shadow side of nostalgia and brand. Look at how the new Star Wars movies did with the fan base. Many people liked it, but it had a ton of criticism (some valid, some not). When you are a nostalgia-based company, you get greater skepticism when you start to mess with the nostalgia - especially in a fast and hurried way.

Other companies (down the road) don't have that nostalgia built, so they admittedly get judged by a different standard. And, that has pros and cons.

I'm not saying that is right or wrong. Rather than Disney, deep down, is now a nostalgia company pretending to be a luxury lifestyle company. Nostalgia takes a different management style, especially when you are talking physical spaces vs. films or marketing displays. Those that are most successful know how to play into as many streams of nostalgia as possible. But, that takes a different type of creative than those that drive more immediate (but often shorter-term) popularity.
Totally agree with you…but YIKES…bad example up top.

Anteater

I've got a bit of a different take on this. But, I do see where you're coming from. If USO decided to set Diagon Alley in, say Germany, and build German castles and biergartens, do you think fans would have revolted? Some that is Nostalgia. A lot of it is, I recognize that and can relate to it. I think that's why The Mandalorian was a big hit; it was set in the same timeline as the OT but brought new stories to the table.

Anyway, I think USO would have been held to the same standard as Disney had they tripped at all on the HP expansion.

Disney Analyst

Two industry friends whom I trust implicitly rode. One ranked it a D ticket. The other gave a thumbs down with a very long and detailed list why. One was also mildly nauseated.

Straw poll I know. For the sake of balance another friend called it “fun“.

So far this is very clearly a minority opinion. Will be interesting to see how people feel once GP can ride and over time.

UNCgolf

Two industry friends whom I trust implicitly rode. One ranked it a D ticket. The other gave a thumbs down with a very long and detailed list why. One was also mildly nauseated.

Straw poll I know. For the sake of balance another friend called it “fun“.

It looks like a D to me in videos, and that's basically just because it's a roller coaster.

That doesn't make it a bad attraction, of course. Just not an especially impressive one.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So far this is very clearly a minority opinion. Will be interesting to see how people feel once GP can ride and over time.
GoTG seems to have a very high "new toy" draw to it. Perhaps its because EPCOT has been so desperate for something big and new for so long. However, I except that over time when the newness wears off, GoTG will be criticized for a number of shortcomings. Not to say it isn't a lot of fun and something very much needed. But purists and enthusiasts are going to see its problems over the fun factor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom