News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

No Name

Do you think that when they get this done they will finally turn to Imagination? I feel like, years ago, you had hinted that was the long-term plan.
Yes, this will be their next project. They’ll repaint the outside of the building silver before repainting it with a brand new vibrant color scheme. Then they’ll get rid of one of the glass pyramids and replace it with an aluminum cube. Finally, they’ll re-record Eric Idle in 4K HD and open the ride (with a virtual queue).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It's a lot of trees, and a large covered stage. Worthy of the center of EPCOT?
I like the stage -- finally a proper place for the Jammitors, festival talks and concerts, etc. And the scale of the building seems better. I don't like the trees, if only because it seems like filler. And, wtih FoN gone and the grand Festival monstrosity gone, there's no centerpiece. It use to be the fountain, and then it looked like it would be the festival building (even if it was going to be and "off-center"piece). Now the centerpiece is just trees and plants? Pretty I suppose, but...

jrhwdw

A couple things

Anyone know a Timeline for this????

Is the new Festival Stage a replacement for the Pop Up one at Showcase Plaza?

britain

Mark me down as one of the few that's going to miss the table. It was a unique architectural feat, and was grand enough to make you want to stop at the new cafe and take in a view of it. I was looking forward to walking around it just the same way as I might walk around an impressive piece of starchitecture in a major city. Now the new stage looks embarassingly small and rinkidink. There's nothing to look AT when you're in this central space other than low buildings you need to pass by to get to something interesting. In other words, it has the same problem original CommuniCore and Innoventions had.

Having said all that, this is not an eyesore. It's not bad, and there are far worse ways to screw with the parks. So, fine, bring on CommunicoreHall.

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

I like the stage -- finally a proper place for the Jammitors, festival talks and concerts, etc. And the scale of the building seems better. I don't like the trees, if only because it seems like filler. And, wtih FoN gone and the grand Festival monstrosity gone, there's no centerpiece. It use to be the fountain, and then it looked like it would be the festival building (even if it was going to be and "off-center"piece). Now the centerpiece is just trees and plants? Pretty I suppose, but...

Isn't a large part of the fun of the Jammitors supposed to be that they don't have a stage-like area and look like average janitors until they start playing, catching people off guard? The one time I saw them before covid they were in a non-descript area and just started yelling about break time before they started pulling everything out.

I thought they were only in a designated area now as a covid leftover. Was I wrong?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Isn't a large part of the fun of the Jammitors supposed to be that they don't have a stage-like area and look like average janitors until they start playing, catching people off guard? The one time I saw them before covid they were in a non-descript area and just started yelling about break time before they started pulling everything out.

I thought they were only in a designated area now as a covid leftover. Was I wrong?
Fair point, although once the location and show times were on the schedule, the "surprise" element was really gone.

Epcot82Guy

I'm with everyone. This new plan isn't bad... I actually like a number of things. It's just - WHY??? This could have easily been done with reworking the existing buildings - and had proper budget to do some really cool things around the edges.

It also begs the question of how Imagination is now part of World Celebration, since there is no real separation between Celebration and Nature on that edge. (Not that I want current management to touch ANYTHING near IMAG right now...)

I do look forward to The Zach's story about "a sink hole" under CommuniCore West - and how this new plan draws from the idea of rebuilding Epcot's past in new, exciting ways...

Vinnie Mac

So many mixed feelings about the new EPCOT renderings. I don't even dislike it, it's just... different. I had a complete vision of what EPCOT was gonna look like once all the walls are done and now that vision is shattered lol.

It just feels strange. The new look seems more "clean" but less full at the same time??

WorldExplorer

Fair point, although once the location and show times were on the schedule, the "surprise" element was really gone.

I hope they would let them go back to/be (I don't know when that schedule showed up) a spontaneous thing (from the guest point of view); it's still a cute show but the surprise really made it a lot of fun.

Vinnie Mac

Okay so it's already starting to grow on me. I've noticed that SOME of the symmetry of future world is trying to come back. Bringing back 1/3 of East Communicore might turn out well. That little statue area in the middle of World Celebration (or whatever they're calling it now) looks fine but missed opportunity to bring back the FoN. Journey of Water looks great. Idk I'm looking forward to this. It's still a step up from what we had 4-5 years ago. EPCOT is no longer going to be a concrete jungle and I'm happy about that

Tom Morrow

I legitimately think this looks better and retains the core design principle of symmetry much better than the original plan. The "mushroom" building, while impressive, would have thrown the symmetry off and caused SSE to lose some visual emphasis. All for a festival center. I'm okay with a festival center being more subdued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom