News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

yensidtlaw1969

Just for fun, here's a Gif of the Old and New Art overlaid to show the differences:

festival-pavilion-2-epcot-transformation-reimagining-disney-world.gif

Fun Fact: The Festival Table was clearly just painted over in the new art, since the Trees on top were blended in to look like trees along the edge of World Showcase Lagoon

yensidtlaw1969

When you compare the two pieces of artwork, the new version does at least make more visual sense in terms of its layout and symmetry.
That's because of how much it reverts back to what was there before the walls went up.

It really is amazing how after years of construction and millions of dollars, the best elements of the EPCOT Core Redo are the elements and systems that were in place from day one of the park. That's true of Creations, Connections, and now all this.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Seeing the draft plans makes me feel less bad about this, really. As others said, it’s interesting how sealed off the visually inconsistent elements are from the center of the park, and I obviously prefer the relative symmetry of this to the original plan.

But yes, an insane waste of an opportunity, and we should’ve never gone down such an ill-conceived rabbit hole in the first place. I hope whatever was saved by going this route is redirected elsewhere, but that’s wishful thinking, I’m sure.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That's a good point...

It's possible that transporting the barges and stargate was also an original possibility.

The daytime fountains might have been what they needed to justify it's permanent mounting, but that didn't work out as planned either.

Maybe @marni1971 could shed some light...
It was decided that it would take too long and be too disruptive to bring the tacos out every day.

nicb88

Is the new Communicore Hall/Plaza actually located symmetrical to Creations? In the site plan it appears so, but in the artwork it definitely isn’t.

I know it might be minor but if it’s built and isn’t symmetrically located it will drive me insane haha.

UNCgolf

All the additional trees will be nice, and this is certainly better than some of the earlier plans -- but the lack of water is a disappointment. Couldn't they have put in a couple of pools along with the trees? Obviously there's water at Journey of Water, but that's separate from the rest of the hub.

And not replacing the Fountain of Nations with a new show fountain is just sad.

rct247

CommuniCore Hall is better than the Festival Table. The central plaza with the new landscaping will be better than what that area had sadly become by the 2000s. Journey of Water will still be enjoyed by the kids. Guardians is going to be an amazing ride. Remy was a great way to insert IP into the France pavilion, and Harmonious has grown on me.

But... I still think this overall re-imagining of Epcot is superficial and has lost its soul. It all could have been done better. They didn't have to demo an entire side of Innoventions. Connections and Creations need more personality and better names. Journey of Water would have been better placed and probably executed as a path between The Land and The Seas.

Guardians doesn't fit at Epcot and would have been better in Tomorrowland as an updated Space Mountain whereas Tron is almost a better fit for Epcot as the Technology & Invention pavilion that was an original concept for Epcot. It could have even had ENCOM as a fake corporate sponser!

I think Remy could have been added to the France pavilion reworking the back half of the existing pavilion to not take up the expansion pad next door. Harmonious could have focused a bit more on the story of how music connects us all with some Disney music thrown in, but more along the IlluniNations route.

And along with that, an updated Imagination pavilion, the Mary Poppins addition in UK, the Coco transformation of the Mexico boat ride, etc.

vikescaper

I like the new plans better than the previous ones. Although, it does seem like a bit of a waste to tear down all of CommuniCore West when they could have gutted it like the did with East.

mhochman

Ish. Aside from the hundreds of millions wasted on demolishing a perfectly serviceable curved building to replace it with a curved building and a splash pad whilst Imagination still rots.

Still it’s better than Bobs folly plan. Ooo look. Earth Station.

Do you think that when they get this done they will finally turn to Imagination? I feel like, years ago, you had hinted that was the long-term plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom