Why I may not go again

KBLovedDisney

I'm surprised that people feel the same as I do. I was preparing for backlash and negative comments.
I used to be addicted to Disney, specifically Disney World. My thoughts of vacation was always focused on that destination and nowhere else. However, these few short months have changed my entire perspective. It was slowly changing over the years, but after seeing how much trouble I would have to go through in order to GET to Disney World...it honestly sucks. It feels like I lost the Disney that used to be there, the one where I would get so excited watching two kids in a commercial packing a suitcase when it wasn't even happening for three weeks. I was that kid! It royally sucks.

Bastet

When you talk about 'how much trouble you would have to go through to get to WDW' what do you mean? Genuinely curious as I am (covid test permitting) coming from UK in June and I didnt think the planning/set up etc was that bad.

KBLovedDisney

When you talk about 'how much trouble you would have to go through to get to WDW' what do you mean? Genuinely curious as I am (covid test permitting) coming from UK in June and I didnt think the planning/set up etc was that bad.
You have to make sure the ticket you have per park is reserved for that park of the day you are going. You must check to make sure that park is available. You can't just walk up to the park and purchase a ticket and walk in. Not to mention the costs going up...and more planning and reserving to get in lines for rides.

I am truly not trying to deter you from going on your trip. My gawd, there have been days when I just want to go again and would in a heart beat. I would love to be able to escape into the bubble again. But the value I would personally be getting back would not be worth worth it for me. All of the planning would be too much of a headache, the ever rising costs, the crowds and lack of crowd control because Disney doesn't believe in using just a single line...that's another can of worms.

In other words, the bubble is no longer that sparkly rainbow-esque magical escape like it used to be.

graphite1326

Original Poster
I used to be addicted to Disney, specifically Disney World. My thoughts of vacation was always focused on that destination and nowhere else. However, these few short months have changed my entire perspective. It was slowly changing over the years, but after seeing how much trouble I would have to go through in order to GET to Disney World...it honestly sucks. It feels like I lost the Disney that used to be there, the one where I would get so excited watching two kids in a commercial packing a suitcase when it wasn't even happening for three weeks. I was that kid! It royally sucks.
That's how I feel exactly.

Bastet

Thanks @KBLovedDisney for your answer. I am sorry that you no longer find the joy in a trip to WDW. Truth be told, I booked this trip last May before the majority of the changes kicked in, and I do occasionally wonder exactly what I have let myself in for - more so because it is to celebrate my birthday.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thanks @KBLovedDisney for your answer. I am sorry that you no longer find the joy in a trip to WDW. Truth be told, I booked this trip last May before the majority of the changes kicked in, and I do occasionally wonder exactly what I have let myself in for - more so because it is to celebrate my birthday.
Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't decided to charge people celebrating special events even more $$$ to get into the parks. After all, there's built-in demand for that market segment. I can see it now...

Birthday surcharge, 15%.
Anniversary surcharge, 20%
Graduation surcharge, 25%
WInning the Super Bowl surcharge, 100%

GuyFawkes

I won't be back to WDW until there is blood in the streets. Stock market is crashing, housing market is next, won't be long till attendance drops at WDW. Then I have to wait a while until Disney realizes it's in trouble needing to make some money. Here comes all the discounted rooms, ticket packages etc. etc.

That's when I might be back. The way things are going should be fall of 2023.

Pepper's Ghost

I'm in this exact same predicament. My ex introduced me to WDW for the first time in my mid-20s late last millennium. Previously, I never saw Mickey in a cartoon (still don't care for the characters honestly), but I fell in love with the bubble, and being transported through space and time. Every trip we took, on the ride on ME back to the airport I was asking when we were going back. She got sick of it after 3 trips in approximately 6 years, but our last trip was in 2009. I was addicted after my first trip. Now... I feel like you do. Although I enjoy the walk through the parks almost like before, the experience isn't the same. FP+ made everyone a slave to their phones, and long-term micro-planning became a real thing. Rides/shows changed. Upkeep/maintenance began slipping. These latest changes have just destroyed my image of what a real vacation should be. I can't see going back any time soon until either positive changes are made, or attendance plummets rendering all the nickle and diming moot since lines will be shorter. For me, the issue isn't price increases, but it's the a' la carte approach that hides the true total price, or in other words... "Disney Deception". I hereby coin that phrase. 😁

MickeyLuv'r

A family entourage of 20 persons going to WDW is a nightmare under any circumstances!
All things aside, a party size of 20 is going to be a challenge.
Aside from the party size, park pass reservations, Genie + just complicates tasks like like ADRs
You should give him the facts trying to be as neutral as possible and make sure he knows about park pass reservations, park hopping, and Genie.
The thing is, I am not sure he'd believe it.
It is really hard to wrap one's head around current WDW policies.

MickeyLuv'r

This is great. With everyone that's not going or boycotting, there is hope it won't be crowded when I go. Um...I mean...yeah let's not go. Boycott Disney World. 🤪
Except...it almost doesn't matter how many people are actually in the park when you go.

If the park is slated to be less crowded, then WDW will find 20 ways to cut back. Like, when you go to eat in the food court, only 1 line will be open. When you try to eat TS, you'll wait...to be seated...for your food...for your bill. Try mobile order, and you'll wait and wait for your order to be ready.

The park hours will be reduced.

Only 1 side of BTMRR will be running...

You'll wait longer for a bus/boat to take you to the park....

And mysteriously, there will still be no way to change your park reservation to a different park, because all the parks are full.

And good luck trying to contact anyone using the MDE 'chat' feature. It will be at least 20min before anyone replies.

And good luck trying to call someone at WDW. You'll have to wait on hold for an hour.

Ayla

The thing is, I am not sure he'd believe it.
It is really hard to wrap one's head around current WDW policies.
I gave up trying to explain them to our party that is going next week. I refuse to use Genie+ and because we were only buying 2 day park tickets, we had a very short window to use them, even though we'll be there for 8 days. :mad: Walking my sister through making park reservations was a nightmare on MDE.

Also, now that DME is no longer, you'll have to find your own way to the resort from the airport, sorry.

I then had to explain why attaching a debit card to a MB was not a good idea, since you're essentially being double-charged for what you buy, freezing twice the amount of money you've actually used. Purchasing at the POS will be my mantra for next week.

rwdavis2

I'm glad we're not going back for at least 2-3 years. Hopefully all these new requirements will be gone or simplified. They should have just instituted Universal's Express Pass. It's simple and in some cases free. Having to choose parks in advance or get shut out may just be the deal breaker. I didn't mind doing FPs in advance since I was not locked into a specific park for a day.

I used to joke that a trip to WDW was like climbing Mt. Everest: it took money, stamina, and planning. Now it's more like a trip to the moon.

tpoly88

I Agree with the many. A WDW vacation is now work. Making park reservations, buying a Genie + pass and waking up early to try and get the rides you want. I was surprised to find out that the pass you now pay for doesn't allow you to pick the times you want to ride. You are at the mercy of the system and when the next available opening for a ride occurs. If you schedule your first ride when you can at 7:00 a.m. (ridiculous) you then may not be able to get on another until later that day at night. I may not want to stay at a park all day.
With the old Fas Pass system you were able to schedule as you pleased. All these new rules and procedures are not customer friendly.
I hate the park reservations for the same reason, half the time I don’t know if I’m going that day. I wish you could schedule the genie + for a specific time. Can’t tell you how many times I wake up and go on and the first fast
Pass is at 930am. No way I can make it by then. Would love to schedule at say 3pm. Maybe I’m doing it wrong and this is an option ?

Pepper's Ghost

Except...it almost doesn't matter how many people are actually in the park when you go.

If the park is slated to be less crowded, then WDW will find 20 ways to cut back. Like, when you go to eat in the food court, only 1 line will be open. When you try to eat TS, you'll wait...to be seated...for your food...for your bill. Try mobile order, and you'll wait and wait for your order to be ready.

The park hours will be reduced.

Only 1 side of BTMRR will be running...

You'll wait longer for a bus/boat to take you to the park....

And mysteriously, there will still be no way to change your park reservation to a different park, because all the parks are full.

And good luck trying to contact anyone using the MDE 'chat' feature. It will be at least 20min before anyone replies.

And good luck trying to call someone at WDW. You'll have to wait on hold for an hour.
This is a big issue for me. Imagine another business trying to do this. What if your local supermarket (pre-self-checkout) required reservations to go shopping so they could adjust their staffing accordingly. That means if you prefer the short lines on workday mornings, if the market knows only 20-30 people will be shopping, they have only one cashier and one or two floor staff. That way they keep costs to a minimum. The line at the checkout will still remain 5 or 6 deep, and you still have to wait, even though the store and parking lot are mostly empty. Sure, the supermarket staffs accordingly for anticipated slower times, but if on a day they have an unusually low showing, at least those who show benefit from that. Many are probably even willing to pay more for that benefit. Just saying. However, if another business tried this you'd probably lean towards other choices in lieu of the company that is making life so complicated. I predict this could happen at Disney eventually perhaps increasing patronage at Universal, etc.

(Note: the above mentioned supermarket example includes completely fictional stats and is being used for example purposes only. I have no idea if any of it is realistic in general. Just making the point. 😁 Last thing I want is to get into is a staffing debate with a supermarket expert.) 🤣

NickMaio

I'm in this exact same predicament. My ex introduced me to WDW for the first time in my mid-20s late last millennium. Previously, I never saw Mickey in a cartoon (still don't care for the characters honestly), but I fell in love with the bubble, and being transported through space and time. Every trip we took, on the ride on ME back to the airport I was asking when we were going back. She got sick of it after 3 trips in approximately 6 years, but our last trip was in 2009. I was addicted after my first trip. Now... I feel like you do. Although I enjoy the walk through the parks almost like before, the experience isn't the same. FP+ made everyone a slave to their phones, and long-term micro-planning became a real thing. Rides/shows changed. Upkeep/maintenance began slipping. These latest changes have just destroyed my image of what a real vacation should be. I can't see going back any time soon until either positive changes are made, or attendance plummets rendering all the nickle and diming moot since lines will be shorter. For me, the issue isn't price increases, but it's the a' la carte approach that hides the true total price, or in other words... "Disney Deception". I hereby coin that phrase. 😁
Disney deception is a perfect way to sum up the NEW WDW.
All the extra money grabs.
We are really torn, as most of you we are WDW lovers.
We are saddened what the current management has done to our precious Disney World.

NickMaio

This is a big issue for me. Imagine another business trying to do this. What if your local supermarket (pre-self-checkout) required reservations to go shopping so they could adjust their staffing accordingly. That means if you prefer the short lines on workday mornings, if the market knows only 20-30 people will be shopping, they have only one cashier and one or two floor staff. That way they keep costs to a minimum. The line at the checkout will still remain 5 or 6 deep, and you still have to wait, even though the store and parking lot are mostly empty. Sure, the supermarket staffs accordingly for anticipated slower times, but if on a day they have an unusually low showing, at least those who show benefit from that. Many are probably even willing to pay more for that benefit. Just saying. However, if another business tried this you'd probably lean towards other choices in lieu of the company that is making life so complicated. I predict this could happen at Disney eventually perhaps increasing patronage at Universal, etc.

(Note: the above mentioned supermarket example includes completely fictional stats and is being used for example purposes only. I have no idea if any of it is realistic in general. Just making the point. 😁 Last thing I want is to get into is a staffing debate with a supermarket expert.) 🤣
If Uni had more kid friendly rides we would jump in a heart beat.

Graham9

We used to come to WDW as often as we could manage because although expensive, it was the best place to be and not so long ago, we were looking about planning to come again, now Covid is receding. What we found was a whole list of reasons not to come to WDW again - or at least not to come with WDW in it's present form.

However, when we started to look at this, we quickly found the magic has gone. The pixiedust has gone. It no longer holds up as our 'special place' we saved up for and looked forward to. What has happened is WDW is turned into a cold emotionless money-extraction machine. Everything which made the place special and unique has been pressed and squeezed into additional fees we are no longer willing to pay. The Genie+ system (being the worst of them) has taken away any spontaneity and freedoms the park once had, with the addition of unwanted phone dependency whilst in the park and having to get up early morning to book stuff, with everything gone within a few minutes of it going live. Let's not forget having to pay extra for the non-Genie Lightening Lanes being totally indefensible and smacks of nothing more than corporate greed. I'm also going to throw in parking charges for resort guests, increase in park admission price, that stupid 2pm park hop limit, park entry reservations, loss of magic hours and the increase in resort fees.

We may come to Orlando sometime in the future, but WDW will only be a quick drop-in day-visit and not the main focus of our vacation, as we intend to concentrate on other parks instead.

Minnesota disney fan

Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't decided to charge people celebrating special events even more $$$ to get into the parks. After all, there's built-in demand for that market segment. I can see it now...

Birthday surcharge, 15%.
Anniversary surcharge, 20%
Graduation surcharge, 25%
WInning the Super Bowl surcharge, 100%
Well, I would Never have that 100% surcharge for winning the superbowl, not with the Mn. Vikings!!!! :rolleyes:

Minnesota disney fan

Seriously, disney was starting to do just this long before the pandemic.
For example, we only visited disney in slow times (yes, there were slow times once:), and we found that disney would only have one side of a ride running, or fewer cashiers, etc, so you had to wait probably more than if they were fully staffed. It never stopped us going because at that time, they still had a terrific experience for the price and less staffing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom