Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hopefully by Mid-March 2022 as the masks will be finally be dropped for trains, buses and planes as possible if the cases are low enough.
411AD774-2FAD-494E-8445-BCF9D7D914D4.jpeg

G00fyDad

Can everyone please shut up about the masks before this thread gets shut down too?

I don't know why I asked. I already know the answer. 🙄

hopemax

Not likely. The Ontario government had said as long as hospitalizations stay low by March everything is dropped.
Well, in their future defense... news out of the dinner event in Oslo is that not only were at least 70 out of 120 party attendees confirmed to have been infected... 40-50 people who occupied the space after all the party people left... are also infected. Sequencing to determine Omicron vs Delta is ongoing. So the ongoing airborne transmission debates with WHO, mask mandates, ventilation, the wisdom of indoor gatherings, especially large ones, all of it is going to intensify in the coming weeks. So 🤷‍♀️ :banghead: I still wouldn't argue permanent, but around longer in places than anyone expected before a week ago... most definitely.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We would know how 'bad' omicron is if there was a widespread strategy to randomly test the population. We're aware of people sick enough with it to go to the ER, but we don't know how many got it mildly or asymptomatically, due to lack of testing.

So we don't know how bad it is for now.

We do know that shutting borders doesn't work because by the time the identification of something new happens, it's already been spreading.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Well, in their future defense... news out of the dinner event in Oslo is that not only were at least 70 out of 120 party attendees confirmed to have been infected... 40-50 people who occupied the space after all the party people left... are also infected. Sequencing to determine Omicron vs Delta is ongoing. So the ongoing airborne transmission debates with WHO, mask mandates, ventilation, the wisdom of indoor gatherings, especially large ones, all of it is going to intensify in the coming weeks. So 🤷‍♀️ :banghead: I still wouldn't argue permanent, but around longer in places than anyone expected before a week ago... most definitely.
I'm scared about this now..

G00fyDad

Anyone think Chapek will consider closing the parks again ;)
No. It would have to be a global pandemic five times worse than what happened with COVID before they even consider closing the parks again. Doing so would be a death sentence to their career. And as we all know from watching their current behavior that they are more worried about that bottom line and not guest satisfaction or safety.

I could see them bringing back face masks everywhere but even then it's going to have to be due to COVID returning to the levels we saw at its height

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No. It would have to be a global pandemic five times worse than what happened with COVID before they even consider closing the parks again. Doing so again would be a death sentence to their career. And as we all know from watching their current behavior that they are all worried about that bottom line and not guest satisfaction or safety.

I could see them bringing back face masks everywhere but even then it's going to have to be due to COVID returning to the levels we saw at its height
Worse is it Disney does closing parks, Warner Bros. could've replacing like this:
Magic Kingdom = Lord of the Rings themed park
Epcot = Sci-Fi theme park themed to Godzilla, Ready Player One, Pacific Rim
Disney's Hollywood Studios = Warner Bros. Studios Backlot themed to Warner Bros. films, DC Comics, Looney Tunes
Animal Kingdom = Cartoon Network World

That would be so funny if Disney got kicked out by Warner Bros. if this is happens.😁😁😁😁😁

seascape

Worse is it Disney does closing parks, Warner Bros. could've replacing like this:
Magic Kingdom = Lord of the Rings themed park
Epcot = Sci-Fi theme park themed to Godzilla, Ready Player One, Pacific Rim
Disney's Hollywood Studios = Warner Bros. Studios Backlot themed to Warner Bros. films, DC Comics, Looney Tunes
Animal Kingdom = Cartoon Network World

That would be so funny if Disney got kicked out by Warner Bros. if this is happens.😁😁😁😁😁
While you are at it, remeber HP is not solely a JKR assest but WB too. So if you had your way Universal would lose HP at the end of their contrat and it would move to WB.

drizgirl

This is my understanding as well.

So for those who are now convinced I'm some sort of covid denier or something, please understand that this evolution is promising in that since we cannot vaccinate fast enough thanks to misinformation this is our "way out" and I am hopeful for it.

Just because I point to promising news, doesn't mean I am a maskhole or a vaxhole. I have to wear my mask in public every single place I go. I'm not running free maskless anywhere. While my keloid is hating this again (burned like crazy this morning) I still will not remove in public period.

I honestly am not sure why it is bad to be hopeful about this set of mutations. Travel hasn't changed. This variant is here and circulating whether it's been reported or not and has been likely for a month or more. There is no downside to a masking always in public person who has been triple vaxxed as a part of the trial to help save the world to be hopeful. It changes nothing about what I do in public. Just remember that before one tries to scold me or roll eyes at me. Almost 2 years later I'm taking this as serious as ever.
Only in Covid times does someone with an open mind or mildly positive outlook have to apologize for it. Definitely interesting times.

I just feel like there are 2 "camps" in this. And the more firmly entrenched posters are in either camp, the less likely I am to read their posts. Which is why I continue reading yours.

Kevin_W

Well, current case per day are something like triple what they were when they closed the parks in the first place, though only half of the last-winter peak.

But I think you could fairly say - look we closed most of the country for a couple months, we closed the parks for longer than that... and we're still on wave 6 or whatever we're on and it hasn't really seemed to matter.

Ayla

Well, current case per day are something like triple what they were when they closed the parks in the first place, though only half of the last-winter peak.

But I think you could fairly say - look we closed most of the country for a couple months, we closed the parks for longer than that... and we're still on wave 6 or whatever we're on and it hasn't really seemed to matter.
I don' think we need to keep explaining why we're on wave 4, do we?

Heppenheimer

In other news, or rather, lack of news, for those waiting for the FDA decision on vaccination for little ones below age 5, I don't see a scheduled meeting on the advisory committee calendar. These usually post the announcement at least two weeks before the meeting takes place, so unless they decide to hold a meeting during the abbreviated work week prior to Christmas, I think we can assume that the EUA won't come before the New Year. Pfizer seems confident they will at least be able to submit their data by year's end, but even by the streamlined process for EUA, I don't think we'll see much of a roll out prior to February, at the earliest.

I haven't really checked the numbers lately, how are other states doing getting their 6-11 year olds vaccinated?

correcaminos

Only in Covid times does someone with an open mind or mildly positive outlook have to apologize for it. Definitely interesting times.

I just feel like there are 2 "camps" in this. And the more firmly entrenched posters are in either camp, the less likely I am to read their posts. Which is why I continue reading yours.
I just had a conversation about this with my spouse last night. In part because of here but also because of Trevor Noah stating he wanted to wait on scientists, not CEO of Moderna to know what the next step with Omicron is. Totally rational to me but some flipped out on him.

I've been wrong more than once in all this and at least I will admit it - though my thoughts were based on when scientists tried to learn and their educated guesses and hypotheses were wrong is all. Trying to follow science of the time in many cases. I've had both extremes here on this thread jump on me. If I'm wrong for following science then I don't know what to do. I have listened to science from the beginning and while sometimes they were flat out wrong, at least I wasn't blindly following either politics/one sided media (which as a true independent I avoid) or just a single group. One thing I have no tolerance for are anti-vaxxers or deniers, but the rest I do listen to.

I said above that there are gray areas to be sure. That's the truth of it. As we figure things out jumping to conclusions doesn't work. So I'll continue to listen to scientists for now. We may need to adjust, but it's the best we've got. Problem is filtering those who are trying to rile up either extreme. That can be hard... inciting fear on both sides is a huge way to grab followers.

So for now, get vaccinated. Get a booster if you can or especially if high risk. But have patience and not jump to scary. Despite what people try to claim this level of illness likely cannot thrive forever. Historically this is not the next step.

correcaminos

In other news, or rather, lack of news, for those waiting for the FDA decision on vaccination for little ones below age 5, I don't see a scheduled meeting on the advisory committee calendar. These usually post the announcement at least two weeks before the meeting takes place, so unless they decide to hold a meeting during the abbreviated work week prior to Christmas, I think we can assume that the EUA won't come before the New Year. Pfizer seems confident they will at least be able to submit their data by year's end, but even by the streamlined process for EUA, I don't think we'll see much of a roll out prior to February, at the earliest.

I haven't really checked the numbers lately, how are other states doing getting their 6-11 year olds vaccinated?
I thought that we weren't told to expect sub 5 until the new year so this makes sense to me. Feels like a long time I agree. Hopefully soon and that young ones can continue to not have severe illness - though I totally get spread is a real and true concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom