Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Answer honestly now... why did you ONLY post hospital numbers?
Because my state doesn’t provide long Covid numbers and I was previously told many times that deaths are not the only negative outcome? Also, if your expectation is for someone to post a full and comprehensive review of every piece of information available on the internet every time they post some data, you may need to lower those expectations. Lol. Sorry if data triggers you.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Not all adults are vaccinated and they are a risk to immune compromised people. Is that good enough?
No, it isn't. The overwhelming, vast, vast majority of adults who aren't vaccinated are not vaccinated by choice. COVID is far from the only risk to the immunocompromised. Unfortunately, the small percentage of immunocompromised people for whom the COVID vaccines do not provide adequate protection will have to either take extreme measures to protect themselves or accept the risk of not doing so.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Exactly. It is possible to take the facts into account and still decide that even though the risk is extremely low to begin with, the risk reduction is worth it to get your child vaccinated.
I would say there are about 4 reasons why I am going to get my kid vaccinated even though her overall risk is low.
1. I want to reduce the chances of her getting COVID
2. I want to further reduce the risk of a serious outcome for her if she were to still get COVID.
3. I want to reduce the chances of her spreading it to others.
4. Her pediatrician highly recommends it.

correcaminos

No, it isn't. The overwhelming, vast, vast majority of adults who aren't vaccinated are not vaccinated by choice. COVID is far from the only risk to the immunocompromised. Unfortunately, the small percentage of immunocompromised people for whom the COVID vaccines do not provide adequate protection will have to either take extreme measures to protect themselves or accept the risk of not doing so.
Here is where I differ from you. I disagree who we should be catering to and likely always have been. You put the burden on only those at risk. I make it global. To this point does it sound fair to you to say if one refuses a vaccine then they should be forced to take drastic measures to stay safe? We have an easy answer. We should use it and push for it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Here is some additional pediatric data...and then an article from the LA Times just because...

General rule in pediatrics, if with little risk, you can prevent death or serious complications of an infectious disease, you do it, both on an individual and a societal level.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
General rule in pediatrics, if with little risk, you can prevent death or serious complications of an infectious disease, you do it, both on an individual and a societal level.
Makes sense. If you can lower risk all around even more through a vaccine with no significant negatives, why not?

Heppenheimer

For those awaiting what possibly will be the "next big thing" in COVID, the FDA advisory committee meets on 30 November to discuss an EUA for molnupiravir, Merck's oral anti-COVID medication.

I was somewhat skeptical at first on how much of a dent this medication will make, because the proposed indication seems to mirror that of the monoclonal antibody infusions. Then, I learned more about how strained health systems have become to provide the infusions to everyone who qualifies. Having an oral medication that does the same thing will be huge, because it will be much more scalable and free up many health care resources currently occupied with giving the infusions. We don't know yet if this medication will help reduce the spread of COVID (probably will, but not to the extent of vaccines), but at least it will relieve some of the stresses on the health care system, since it should reduce the number of people who will need hospitalization.

Angel Ariel

Yeah, I get all that, but expecting a bus driver who makes 11 dollars an hour for 4 hours a day to enforce rules on a bunch of ‘Karen’ kids is asinine.

our district’s bus driver salary *starts* at $23/hr, and the top of their salary scale is $31/hr. Guaranteed 30 hr/week minimum.

And drivers are expected to enforce rules on the bus every day. Covid doesn’t change that.

Angel Ariel

Absolutely disgusting, trash human beings who would heckle kids. Especially when the kids are being more adult than they are!
We recently went to a school board meeting to support a disability awareness resolution. One of the citizen speakers later that night, after the resolution had occurred, used our resolution and called out the two disabled children (including my daughter) who were there saying it was child abuse that they were wearing masks.

people suck.

Last edited:

correcaminos

That is not enough money to drive a bus full of other people's kids......
I volunteer a lot in schools, and I kind of agree with you. I do think the middle school busses are decent but dang. There's a reason why some buses had to have aids on them. And I love kids.

Our drivers are saints though. The one my kid ended up with in gradeschool and the one now especially are amazing. One none like but boy the kids were kept in line. They do a great job which is why we try to thank them often.

DisneyCane

I volunteer a lot in schools, and I kind of agree with you. I do think the middle school busses are decent but dang. There's a reason why some buses had to have aids on them. And I love kids.

Our drivers are saints though. The one my kid ended up with in gradeschool and the one now especially are amazing. One none like but boy the kids were kept in line. They do a great job which is why we try to thank them often.
My Junior High School bus driver in NY (middle school for a lot of other states) was a great at keeping us under control. We called her "Rambo" because she dressed kind of like the Rambo character and wore fingerless driving gloves. We were all afraid she would kick our butts for getting out of line. She was no nonsense but there were never any issues on our bus!

Heppenheimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom