Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Wendy Pleakley

So the difference with Genie+ vs MaxPass is now headliners not included, photopass not included, no more free option and it's $5 more per person?

One other difference is that only a portion of guests will use Genie+ versus everyone using FastPass, so Genie+ should be better than FastPass for those willing to pay. Rides won't "sell out" as often. You'll be able to get a good ride reservation sooner after you use one than you did before.

It will depend on how many people use it.

I'm guessing it will used more by tourists. Passholders will balk at paying an extra fee on every single visit, and they don't care about waits times as much because they are more willing to skip an attraction and ride it another time.

ToTBellHop

Just like the AH parties are better for the masses (park not closing down earlier for day guests and the ones that paid have shorter lines), it definitely feels like Genie+ has the potential to be superior than legacy FP+. Standby lines should move quicker and if you paid the upcharge, you should be to line skip frequently throughout the day.

I'm kind of hoping they create some flexibility for guests that don't want to arrive to the park until the evening hours. It would be neat if you could select your first Genie+ LL after 5 pm each day for instance (and then not use any prior). I don't think that's how it's going to work though...

I don't like the paid IAS.

A better system would be to limit the VQ to only one per park. That means Rise, Remy, FoP and 7DMT get VQ's with LL. Give onsite quests priority at 7 am for BG but open it up to anyone in the park at 1 pm.

All rides go to Standby if all BG are called...
My biggest complaint lies with the marked-up headliners, as well. Genie+ for $15 and VQ-only for super-popular, new rides, would be fairest. And I’d be more willing to pay $15 for a FP+ replacement that lacked the pre-planning headache (again, at MK more than the others). $24 for TRON is a “hell, no” from me. Expletives added when it’s $24 for RotR, which I’ve ridden a dozen times. I’m good, Bobbykins.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

My biggest complaint lies with the marked-up headliners, as well. Genie+ for $15 and VQ-only for super-popular, new rides, would be fairest. And I’d be more willing to pay $15 for a FP+ replacement that lacked the pre-planning headache (again, at MK more than the others). $24 for TRON is a “hell, no” from me. Expletives added when it’s $24 for RotR, which I’ve ridden a dozen times. I’m good, Bobbykins.

They're clearly aiming it at people who don't visit Disney regularly. If you're only there once every 5 years (or longer), it's harder to just skip the headlining attractions -- especially if it's the only time your kid will be able to experience it as a kid. There will be plenty of people who shell out $100 bucks to ride Rise because their kids are 8 and 11 years old and they may not be back.

ToTBellHop

They're clearly aiming it at people who don't visit Disney regularly. If you're only there once every 5 years (or longer), it's harder to just skip the headlining attractions -- especially if it's the only time your kid will be able to experience it as a kid. There will be plenty of people who shell out $100 bucks to ride Rise because their kids are 8 and 11 years old and they may not be back.
Sure. I just am not convinced that adds up to all that many people. It will certainly get harder to score a BG.

As for Genie+, I continue to expect those rides to have, on average, lower wait times than during FP+. Good for people who like Mansion, Pirates, SSE, ToT, Everest, etc.

G00fyDad

So what benefit do I have for staying on property at this point? Seriously. Is there even a single benefit to staying on property? Aren't you still able to book your dining 60 days out even if you stay off property? What does staying on property give you with Genie+ or IAS? Do people staying on property get the book these things sooner than anyone else off property? I'm seriously considering canceling this trip and booking a hotel off property and saving $1,500.

UNCgolf

Sure. I just am not convinced that adds up to all that many people. It will certainly get harder to score a BG.

As for Genie+, I continue to expect those rides to have, on average, lower wait times than during FP+. Good for people who like Mansion, Pirates, SSE, ToT, Everest, etc.

I'm not sure it does either -- but does it need to? If they sell a couple hundred a day, that's still a bunch of additional revenue they weren't getting before. I'm sure they hope to sell more than that, though.

ImperfectPixie

So what benefit do I have for staying on property at this point? Seriously. Is there even a single benefit to staying on property? Aren't you still able to book your dining 60 days out even if you stay off property? What does staying on property give you with Genie+ or IAS? Do people staying on property get the book these things sooner than anyone else off property? I'm seriously considering canceling this trip and booking a hotel off property and saving $1,500.
Dining reservations have always been 180 days for everyone, I believe. FP+ was 60 days for resort guests.

UNCgolf

The only real benefits I can think of (I may be forgetting something) are the 30 minutes extra in the morning (which isn't really a benefit at all to me personally, but will be to some people) and the Disney transportation. I think that's basically it right now.

Has the 30 minutes early even started yet? If not, then I guess it's just transportation as far as extra benefits at the moment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You get a room…which is what you’re paying for and what the “market” is allowed to provide based on its customers

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only real benefits I can think of (I may be forgetting something) are the 30 minutes extra in the morning (which isn't really a benefit at all to me personally, but will be to some people) and the Disney transportation. I think that's basically it right now.

Has the 30 minutes early even started yet? If not, then I guess it's just transportation as far as extra benefits at the moment.
10/1…

which will get you halfway across a park…if you don’t have to pee

UNCgolf

Dining is 60+10 on site—you can book dining for the entire stay, so that’s a modest benefit.

Genie+ earlier booking.

Early entry.

Evening Hours for deluxe.

They claim they are adding characters at resorts for the 50th, I thought?

Isn't Genie+ booking the same for everyone? I thought it was just the ability to buy the add-on rides earlier for resort guests.

ToTBellHop

10/1…

which will get you halfway across a park…if you don’t have to pee
You have to want it to find success.

Early entry plans:
MK 7DMT to Space Mtn (getting on those two is certainly a benefit).
Epcot Test Track if operating. Otherwise Frozen to Soarin. Again, a benefit.
DHS SDD to RnRC. Rinse with ToT around park open.
DAK FoP to Safari

Use your time well!

mikejs78

Premium Member

Early entry, which means you can get a jump on the headliners that don't have boarding groups and avoid paying for them.

Dining 60 days out for your whole stay

Early booking (7 am as opposed to park opening) for the premium attractions

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom