Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

havoc315

Anyone who thinks $100 for 4 minutes of distraction is reasonable is doing some serious drugs or drinking.

Then nobody will buy it, and Disney will either drop the prices, or it will simply become a standby only attraction. In which case, everyone has the same opportunity to ride it.

havoc315

I don’t disagree, but I think it makes more sense to think about it as paying $100 to skip a 3 hour line.

Which brings a set of calculated values:
1. Is the ride worth waiting in line for 3 hours?
2. Is the line worth paying an extra $100, without the line?

And a bunch of other calculations:
If the ride isn't worth a 3 hour line OR $100, is the ride worth getting to the park early and doing it at rope drop?
Is the ride worth staying in the park late, skipping fireworks, and doing it around close with a short line?

Personally, I don't find ANY ride to be worth a 3 hour line... I don't find any ride to be worth a 1 hour line, apart from special circumstances. I'd never wait 1 hour to ride something a second time, for example.
And my thought on $100 is similar. If I never rode ROTR before, I might pay $100 for my family to experience it once. But I wouldn't keep paying another $100 every time I went to DHS... not worth the upcharge.

havoc315

It's still paying $100 for a 4 minute distraction. Disney wants you to find reasons to rationalize that kind of spending.

A family of 4 may pay $600 for Boo Bash tickets.
If they do about 6 attractions during the 3 hours of the Boo Bash.. that's also $100 per distraction.

If you buy a 1 day tickets for a family of 4 to Animal Kingdom, that's easily about $500.
So FOP, Navi River, Safari, Expedition Everest and Dinosaur.. if that's your day at Animal Kingdom, that's about $100 per distraction.

DisneyCane

If the ride isn't worth a 3 hour line OR $100, is the ride worth getting to the park early and doing it at rope drop?
Is the ride worth staying in the park late, skipping fireworks, and doing it around close with a short line?

Personally, I don't find ANY ride to be worth a 3 hour line... I don't find any ride to be worth a 1 hour line, apart from special circumstances. I'd never wait 1 hour to ride something a second time, for example.
And my thought on $100 is similar. If I never rode ROTR before, I might pay $100 for my family to experience it once. But I wouldn't keep paying another $100 every time I went to DHS... not worth the upcharge.
FoP with all effects working is the only ride at WDW that might be worth a 3 hour line. Maybe. Original, non bendy Soarin' and Splash are worth 2 hours. Nothing else is worth more than an hour nor worth $25.

runnsally

And here’s where Disney wins…
instead of taking the time to consider these very relevant questions, I simply pay the $100 because I’m on vacation, it’s hot and the kids want to ride FoP. At least that’s what I would have done when we were there in June and the standby line was 2.5 hours.

ImperfectPixie

A family of 4 may pay $600 for Boo Bash tickets.
If they do about 6 attractions during the 3 hours of the Boo Bash.. that's also $100 per distraction.

If you buy a 1 day tickets for a family of 4 to Animal Kingdom, that's easily about $500.
So FOP, Navi River, Safari, Expedition Everest and Dinosaur.. if that's your day at Animal Kingdom, that's about $100 per distraction.
We don't do after hours events or one-day, full-price tickets to AK. Neither are worth it.

Ayla

Wouldn't this infer that maybe stickers are permanent? As in theres no need to rush?
That's the point a lot of people are making ~ there was no reason for the stickers since it won't be going live for a while, unless they are permanent.

ThistleMae

Let's look at something important inherent in your statement:

"If successful"... "if they sell briskly"

The argument about G+/LL from many people keeps making two contradictory assumptions:
1 -- It's way too expensive, $100 for a family of 4 for a 4-minute experience!
2 -- Everyone will buy it!

Even if the day of free paper FP, not everyone went through the hassle of grabbing a FP and returning later.. plenty of people just got on the 30-60 minute standby line, despite the availability of free fastpasses.

It is indeed pretty expensive for a short duration ride, especially for larger families. There will indeed be free spenders who have no hesitation to spend $100 to skip a 20 minute line.
But most people will look at the line, look at the value of the ride, look at the value of skipping the line...

What this all means: "If they sell briskly" -- It means that lots of people find it fairly priced. Frankly, if it wasn't worth the price, few people would buy it.
And if it is indeed vastly overpriced, then there will be very few takers.
I think they'll start out reasonable, whatever that means, and vary throughout the day, raising prices when parks get busy and some people get desperate. We shall see.

havoc315

And here’s where Disney wins…
instead of taking the time to consider these very relevant questions, I simply pay the $100 because I’m on vacation, it’s hot and the kids want to ride FoP. At least that’s what I would have done when we were there in June and the standby line was 2.5 hours.

But that was a reasoned purchase -- It was hot, the kids really wanted to do it, the line was 2.5 hours

If the kids begged you to do it again in the late evening, and you see the line is now just 30 minutes, would you pay $100 again?
And then when they love it so much, they want to ride is a 3rd time, would you shell out another $100? Or would you say, "we will do it at rope drop later in the week"... or would you say, "let's try another ride"

ImperfectPixie

That's my point. It's yet another add-on for people to consider. For some, it will be worth it. For others, it won't.
If you look at what Disney is giving you instead of what pain you're avoiding for that $100, the value just isn't there in a per-attraction fee.

ETA: AK day-ticket, could be worth it for most, but my boys can't tolerate shows that are covered or indoors, so for us, a one-day, full-price ticket just isn't worth it. We'll buy multiple-day tickets and enter for less. After hours events...value could be there. But for a 4-minute attraction? No effing way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wouldn't this infer that maybe stickers are permanent? As in theres no need to rush?

think of how many different types of signs there are when you think of basically every attraction on the entire property. All the different materials, all the different finishes, etc. many of those could have very different lead times.

then think about all those signs that don’t have a purpose anymore… and what redesigns will need to be done.

This kind of solution establishes a quick, uniform look… allowing you the ability to do the bigger jobs that will likely be more spit and spurt in execution delivery

havoc315

I think they'll start out reasonable, whatever that means, and vary throughout the day, raising prices when parks get busy and some people get desperate. We shall see.

That's dynamic pricing.
But "desperate" just is a valuation of supply and demand. Am I "desperate" enough to stand in a 2 hour line -- ie, is it worth 2 hours of my time? Am I "desperate" enough to spend a larger amount of money to skip the 2 hour line? (are 2 hours of my time plus the ride worth $xxx)
It's not desperation, it's reasoned decision making. Skipping a 2 hour line is more valuable to me than skipping a 15 minute line.

Or, I'll speak from experience -- When there is a 2 hour line, I shrug and skip the attraction. Because I'm never that "desperate" for a 5-minute theme park ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom