Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Cesar R M

So on-site guests who pay up can wake up at 7 to schedule their first Lightening Lane and off-site need to wait until park open per Scott Gusin:

With the news about some resorts being removed from the "Resort List". What resorts will allow you to make the reservations apart from the Disney branded ones? I think Dolphin and Swan already confirmed they are still "on the list". Anyone can confirm which ones are still allowed to ?

Cesar R M

"We at Disney have heard your complaints and we are excited to announce that FastPass will be returning to WDW and DL! (Everything we announced is coming as planned, but we will retain the 'FastPass' branding instead of 'Lightning Lane.')"
I was talking about the physical assets but ok.

I am both shocked and not at all surprised, all at the same time.
I suddenly imagine a gigantic database poisoning because of sensor errors lol.

Jrb1979

We don't know for sure.

DG+ is replacing DL's Maxpass which operates in a very similar way. Maxpass allows holding more than on FP. E.g., if you grab a Space Mountain for 8 PM and do so at 9 AM, you're not out of luck in that you can't get anymore passes the rest of the day. After 90 minutes, the clock resets and you can get another FP for an earlier time.

We're guessing DG+ will operate like that, else DL's Maxpass (for which they're paying an extra $5 than WDW) will lose *a lot* of its value when it's converted to DG+ and there will much wailing and grinding of teeth.

DFB is not know for having insider info except maybe as some dining establishments. Don't rely on them for scoops unless its ice cream.
I saw this posted by someone. What if Genie+ will just do ride drops in the app throughout the day, ensuring that popular rides will still have some availability in the evening. Disney may want to level the playing field and wants as many guests to pay for G+ ... not just the rope droppers. Only at-the-moment times will be available, and if sold out you won't be able to select that ride and have to check back later to see if passes open up again.

Would that be such a bad system?

UNCgolf

I saw this posted by someone. What if Genie+ will just do ride drops in the app throughout the day, ensuring that popular rides will still have some availability in the evening. Disney may want to level the playing field and wants as many guests to pay for G+ ... not just the rope droppers. Only at-the-moment times will be available, and if sold out you won't be able to select that ride and have to check back later to see if passes open up again.

I think, from Disney's standpoint, that runs the risk of having guests not understand they need to keep checking and thus ending up with a bunch of people mad and complaining that they paid $15 and nothing was available.

DisneyDodo

We don't know for sure.

DG+ is replacing DL's Maxpass which operates in a very similar way. Maxpass allows holding more than on FP. E.g., if you grab a Space Mountain for 8 PM and do so at 9 AM, you're not out of luck in that you can't get anymore passes the rest of the day. After 90 minutes, the clock resets and you can get another FP for an earlier time.

We're guessing DG+ will operate like that, else DL's Maxpass (for which they're paying an extra $5 than WDW) will lose *a lot* of its value when it's converted to DG+ and there will much wailing and grinding of teeth.

DFB is not know for having insider info except maybe as some dining establishments. Don't rely on them for scoops unless its ice cream.
I disagree that such a change would take value out of DG+. Firstly, it would disincentivize people from booking lightning passes too far in advance, which would prevent the popular rides from selling out too quickly. Secondly, if someone does choose to book a much later pass, it would mean less competition for passes for everyone else until that time.

In general, these types of decisions are zero sum - if you are granted extra opportunities to grab LPs, the same will apply to everyone you're competing with. Conversely, if everyone else is restricted from reserving LPs, you will be restricted in the same way.

Parker in NYC

Which IT team will be doing all of this magical coordination? The existing infrastructure is not a good sign.

LovePop

Disney World's Controversial Move Will Win the Boo Birds Over​

Disney Genie+ isn't winning a lot of converts from theme park enthusiasts, but it's the right call at the right time​

The above is the opinion today of an investment website called the Motley Fool. It begs the question: is Genie+ really the right call for Disney, effectively raising ticket prices by 20% to 75%? In any product, if you raise prices, demand falls, and your total profit may or may not be increased as a result.

Genie+ will reduce crowds, if nothing else, by getting rid of people who can't afford (or refuse to pay for) Genie+ but don't want to be in WDW without fastpass. How big is that crowd? (The rest of the people will just go, perhaps less often, and either suffer without fastpass or pay up.) Will Disney make more money from raising prices, or would they make more by keeping fastpasses free and having more guests?

I don't believe Genie+ will ever win the boo birds over. The free fastpass worked fine before, so Genie+ is not going to work much better. Nobody is ever going to get over having to pay each day when they are used to it being free and working just fine.

The most important question is, will people get over it and flock to WDW like they always do? Disney obviously thinks so. It's Disney World after all.

rawisericho

Disney Genie+ isn't winning a lot of converts from theme park enthusiasts, but it's the right call at the right time​

The above is the opinion today of an investment website called the Motley Fool. It begs the question: is Genie+ really the right call for Disney, effectively raising ticket prices by 20% to 75%? In any product, if you raise prices, demand falls, and your total profit may or may not be increased as a result.

Genie+ will reduce crowds, if nothing else, by getting rid of people who can't afford (or refuse to pay for) Genie+ but don't want to be in WDW without fastpass. How big is that crowd? (The rest of the people will just go, perhaps less often, and either suffer without fastpass or pay up.) Will Disney make more money from raising prices, or would they make more by keeping fastpasses free and having more guests?

I don't believe Genie+ will ever win the boo birds over. The free fastpass worked fine before, so Genie+ is not going to work much better. Nobody is ever going to get over having to pay each day when they are used to it being free and working just fine.

The most important question is, will people get over it and flock to WDW like they always do? Disney obviously thinks so. It's Disney World after all.
Motley Fool is the boomiest of boomer sites. They are also consistently wrong and get outplayed by meme stocks and retail investors.

GimpYancIent

The only thing not addressed by the article is the QUALITY of the product. It's a terrible call at a time the product QUALITY is lowering.

LovePop

I predict Genie+ will be the beginning of downhill spiral for both Disneyland and Disney World. It is, effectively, such a large ticket price increase that, combined with other injuries such as the loss of DME, will drive a significant number of fans away from the parks to the point of reducing attendance dramatically. When that happens, the lines will be so shortened that Genie+ and paid fastpass will no longer be necessary for all but a couple of rides.

In particular, I don't believe Genie+ will be incorporated into annual passes. This will affect Disneyland much worse, though it is true that if attendance shrinks, Genie+ won't be a thing. When Galaxy's Edge first opened, the Disneyland app has an option for you to sign up to enter Galaxy's Edge. Not many people seemed to want to be in there, so the option was never used after the first day. Genie+ can be ignored and forgotten the same way.

Another way Genie+ can be stabbed to death is if Virus continues to rage. The concept of Genie+, together with paid fastpass, can reduce attendance enough such that it won't be needed by anyone.

Genie+ is supposed to launch by fall. With any luck, between fan rage and Virus fear, Genie+ should die by Christmas.

Genie+ is actually good for me and my family because I can easily afford it, and it will keep many from getting fastpasses, leaving more to me. In short, it will put my family on the privileged class of Disney Parks. I still want it to die, though, because I find it repulsive. It's a stink that makes the whole park experience smell bad.

Die, Genie+, die!

GimpYancIent

I predict Genie+ will be the beginning of downhill spiral for both Disneyland and Disney World. It is, effectively, such a large ticket price increase that, combined with other injuries such as the loss of DME, will drive a significant number of fans away from the parks to the point of reducing attendance dramatically. When that happens, the lines will be so shortened that Genie+ and paid fastpass will no longer be necessary for all but a couple of rides.

In particular, I don't believe Genie+ will be incorporated into annual passes. This will affect Disneyland much worse, though it is true that if attendance shrinks, Genie+ won't be a thing. When Galaxy's Edge first opened, the Disneyland app has an option for you to sign up to enter Galaxy's Edge. Not many people seemed to want to be in there, so the option was never used after the first day. Genie+ can be ignored and forgotten the same way.

Another way Genie+ can be stabbed to death is if Virus continues to rage. The concept of Genie+, together with paid fastpass, can reduce attendance enough such that it won't be needed by anyone.

Genie+ is supposed to launch by fall. With any luck, between fan rage and Virus fear, Genie+ should die by Christmas.

Genie+ is actually good for me and my family because I can easily afford it, and it will keep many from getting fastpasses, leaving more to me. In short, it will put my family on the privileged class of Disney Parks. I still want it to die, though, because I find it repulsive. It's a stink that makes the whole park experience smell bad.

Die, Genie+, die!
Disney could mercifully, quietly, quickly terminate it, or, let it continue to fester and alienate guests until it is killed in an embarrassment to the company later.

pdude81

The way it looks, when this comes online it'll be near when Equity Cast will have to be vaccinated and (if the quick spike patterns of Delta in other countries hold) a reduction in new covid cases. That could mean that around when Genie+ is giving out passes, there will suddenly be more shows and M&G opportunities to swallow up the crowds and for G+ to route people to. We'll see how it goes, but I don't see this being all that unpopular at launch. As we get into next spring and summer when people have gotten some of the vacationing out of their system, we'll know better how this is playing long term.

GimpYancIent

The way it looks, when this comes online it'll be near when Equity Cast will have to be vaccinated and (if the quick spike patterns of Delta in other countries hold) a reduction in new covid cases. That could mean that around when Genie+ is giving out passes, there will suddenly be more shows and M&G opportunities to swallow up the crowds and for G+ to route people to. We'll see how it goes, but I don't see this being all that unpopular at launch. As we get into next spring and summer when people have gotten some of the vacationing out of their system, we'll know better how this is playing long term.
Bring on the stage shows, parades and character interactions, that will breath some life back into the place. Don't need no stinking Genie anything to enjoy.

CaptainAmerica

I'm personally going to be much more focussed on the IAS than Genie+. How hard will it be to get on Rat without paying? When does Rise open its Standby line? Will Tron coming online slide Space Mountain down into Genie+?

chimchimcheree

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 2.18.18 PM.png

As the kids say: Ouch, Disney got ratioed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom